By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

OTBWY said:
We are guaranteed more games cause of OT. The test game is a success. Good job.

http://www.globalgames.us/2018/08/square-enix-octopath-traveler-exceeded.html

Have you run this information by Ryuzaki for checking? Only his authenticity can truly determine the data and sales. 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Beyond just being nice to see a third party exclusive thrive on a Nintendo platform, its also just nice to see a game with an original style find success. Goes to show there's still a market for quirky medium caliber games that aren't AAA nor indie but rather a happy middle ground.

I hope we'll go back to a reversal in the market shifts so that these kind of games can get published/developped more often.

These mid-tier/B-tier games have never stopped being made. They're just on other platforms.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
OTBWY said:

Have you run this information by Ryuzaki for checking? Only his authenticity can truly determine the data and sales. 

This information is not yet approved by the council of cliffmen.

OTBWY said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Octopath already fell off a cliff, just wait, the numbers will be adjusted down, Square is totally overtracking it. ;)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 August 2018

Woah sweet numbers for Octopath! I'll pick it up one day. Very surprised by how well it is doing. I thought it'd pass 1 million over the holidays. 2 mil is a lock and I think we'll see it creep to 3 million in the years to come.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
OTBWY said:

Octopath already fell off a cliff, just wait, the numbers will be adjusted down, Square is totally overtracking it. ;)

lmao i always love your comments.

I found it funny how SE said "Octopath digital sales higher than usual hm" yes not cause y'all shipped 10 copies how it that happen.

OTBWY said:

Having this makes me really happy.

outlawauron said:
Mar1217 said:

I hope we'll go back to a reversal in the market shifts so that these kind of games can get published/developped more often.

These mid-tier/B-tier games have never stopped being made. They're just on other platforms.

Can you list 10 out of the last 3 years, not counting exclusives made by first party studios?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
outlawauron said:

Can you list 10 out of the last 3 years, not counting exclusives made by first party studios?

Absolutely! They're primarily done by the mid-tier Japanese developers with Sega, Koei Tecmo, and Namco Bandai.

Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6
The Atelier series (all 3 that have been released in the past 3 years)
Blue Reflection
Tokyo Xanadu
Mad Max
DanganRonpa v3
Toukiden 2
Digimon World
Shining Resonance
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
World of Final Fantasy
Star Ocean 5
Tales of Berseria
Nino kuni II
Hellblade
Vampyr

You can really expand the pool by looking into some of the PC only stuff, where Paradox, Creative Assembly, etc. release lots of new games. Also:
Pillars of Eternity
Warhammer: Vermintide
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Of course, some of those you might debate (and I tried to leave some more borderline ones out like Monster Hunter and . Yakuza is close to a higher tier but I've never viewed it as a AAA title. I tried to not include a lot of mid-tier Vita/3DS games from the end of their lives because the list would just be too long. I know there's a lot more out there, I just looked through games I bought.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I believe that if we made a sales graph of this cliff, it would be shaped like a gentle, downward slope.