By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

quickrick said:

I guarantee to you this game will not surpass 2.5 million shipped. it's a game that will fall of the cliff hard, not a small cliff.

You're telling me this game needs to outship Persona 5 (or come close to doing so) to not fall off a cliff.

I sort of get why that sort of comparison would be logical (both OT and P5 are the respective biggest "exclusive" turn-based JRPG releases of their respective platforms, and both of these games do have legs past their respective initial releases), but could you use some phrase or term other than "fall off [a/the] cliff?"

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network
quickrick said:

I guarantee to you this game will not surpass 2.5 million shipped. it's a game that will fall of the cliff hard, not a small cliff.

Statements like this make me wonder if you have ever actually seen a real life cliff. You seem to be under the impression that the word 'cliff' describes a gentle downward slope.

In any case, these posts are a well of entertainment.

I expect this game to have similar sales and Sales curve as Xenoblade. I would say 1.75 million lifetime is most likely which is very successful all things considered..

Honestly, for a game of this type (intentionally simple graphics, no elaborate cutscenes or celebrity voice actors or licensed soundtrack) it's probably already profitable for Square. They'll have made a killing on this once all's said and done.

shakarak said:
I expect this game to have similar sales and Sales curve as Xenoblade. I would say 1.75 million lifetime is most likely which is very successful all things considered..

Just pointing out that XC 2 will most certainly pass 2 million sales.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Excellent news. NOW I'll believe that it might sell 2 million. But only maybe, and not 3 million. Still, this is a clear example of a third party game with no Mario or Nintendo characters in it to make it sell selling better than some actual Nintendo games. Very good news indeed, bodes well for companies taking a few more risks with the system. I'm not expecting an EA exclusive or anything, but certainly some more current multiplats and maybe some more exclusives or temporary exclusives from Japanese developers.

tbone51 said:

Hahahahahaha

quickrick said:

First is "barely 2 million", now is "won't pass 2.5 mil"? Next is 3 mil or something? I can't keep up with the goal post keep moving up. Can you slowdown a bit or lend me a car, please? 

Kai_Mao said:
Wherever the sales go, I hope this will send a message to other Japanese developers that the time for "testing" is over. Original, non-ported exclusive AA third party games like Octopath Traveler can succeed on the Switch. Switch owners should not have to have more than two years of just ports from Japanese third parties. Atlus has Shin Megami Tensei V in the works, Grasshopper has Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Bandai Namco has Yokai Watch 4 and is potentially helping with Metroid Prime 4, and Platinum Games has Bayonetta 3. Heck, even though it was a launch title, Konami was able to find success with Super Bomberman R. Capcom stated that they're pleased with the Mega Man and Street Fighter collections on Switch, so will they start development on more new (non-ported) titles besides the next Ace Attorney?

Or it could lead to nothing much more than the unfortunate status quo...just ports from Capcom besides Ace Attorney, Konami being Konami, Atlus not providing more than SMTV (after releasing 10+ games on 3DS), etc. :(

Um, Yokai Watch is Level 5 and Nintendo is the one who publish it in the West

Kai_Mao said:
Nautilus said:

It dosent even need to be exclusive original games.As long as they release day and date with the Switchg, a game that can run on it, they will find success.if Disgaea 5, Ys VIII, Skyrim and many more that i am certainly forgetting, all years old ports, manage to sell really well on the Switch, something even outselling the original version, then games that release day and date on it will break the banks.

I agree it doesn't have to be original, exclusive games. I guess my point is that the big Japanese third parties should start to get out of that "testing" phase. What are they waiting for? For the Switch to get to 50 million shipments? Until Nintendo is willing to publish every game they develop in the states? Or Nintendo to give out half their bank to third parties? It's just ridiculous that even Capcom (who have provided great support on 3DS and DS and decent support on Wii) is still "testing" the waters on the Switch despite really good results from their ports (not necessarily thanks to them, though). Can Atlus maybe develop a Persona port on Switch? I hate to port beg but if the data shows good to great sales potential on Switch, I would like to see more. I hope to see it in year 3, but who knows..

All Atlus Megaten/Persona Q games for 3ds were not on ps4/vita and vice versa. Switch can have Persona Q 3, 4 and 5 along with SMT 5, 6 and 7 but not P3, 4 or 5, Persona Dancing games too imo