By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games 2 and 3 on the Spyro Ignited Trilogy to be download/digital only

Stupid Nintendo, fancy going down the cartridge route, you are restricting third parties......oh hold on a minute.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

This move by Activisin is just part of the growth of the industry. Every other medium has gone through it. There are those that hate the death or limited availability of news papers, Vinyls, manual transmissions, and many other things. You either got stick to your limited access to new or move on. Either way, find peace with yourself.

Yeah right now, the industry is fine. It's a good time to be a gamer. Price gouging and MTS keep trying to happen, but physical copies are one of the things that help put a stop to that. 

CDs, Automatic Transmission, and Internet based news all offer something above what they replaced. But I don't see any benefits of going from physical disks to digital only. I mean, aside from cutting some middlemen out of the deal, but those savings are rarely passed onto us. Steam sales often happen long after the used price of a game has dropped, and console digital sales are even more of a slap in the face. 

But I'm pretty sure that Activision just goofed, and cares more about meeting their shipping deadline than they care about having the entire game on a disc. Oh well. Guess I'll wait for the Switch version that comes complete. 

VAMatt said:
I would assume this is being done to kill used game sales. That bothers me a lot, as I resell most of my games after I finish them. However, for those of you that don't resell your games, why is this a problem? The games are installed on your console's hard drive anyway, so I don't see much of a difference in practice unless you have very slow internet, a low data cap, or some other internet access problem. I assume most of us on this site have decent internet service. So, I truly don't understand the problem. Please explain.

Why would this be a problem for you? Just sell the game after youre done and the person who buys it used will just download the patch to play the other two games.

Its bad for people who collect games and replay them years later. If the update is not available, then its bad if your current console breaks and you have to buy another one.

KLXVER said:
VAMatt said:
I would assume this is being done to kill used game sales. That bothers me a lot, as I resell most of my games after I finish them. However, for those of you that don't resell your games, why is this a problem? The games are installed on your console's hard drive anyway, so I don't see much of a difference in practice unless you have very slow internet, a low data cap, or some other internet access problem. I assume most of us on this site have decent internet service. So, I truly don't understand the problem. Please explain.

Why would this be a problem for you? Just sell the game after youre done and the person who buys it used will just download the patch to play the other two games.

My assumption was (is) that a second owner would have to pay for the second and third games separately.  Like, the download code has already been used.  If that's not the case, then you're right, there's no problem from my perspective.  

Spike0503 said:
My problem is that I don't trust these companies down the road. What will happen 20-25 years down the line when the PS4 servers are offline?. How will I be able to play the full trilogy if for any reason I have to delete the data from my PS4?.

Yeah, this is an angle I didn't think of.  That certainly could be a problem for people that want to be able to play the game decades from now.  

Around the Network
zippy said:
Stupid Nintendo, fancy going down the cartridge route, you are restricting third parties......oh hold on a minute.

IKR? N64 didn't have any trouble getting third party support with its carts. Metal Gear Solid 1, Dino Crisis 1 & 2, Tekken 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-9, Tomb Raider 1-3, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Resident Evil 1 & 3, they all made their way onto the N64 no prob... oh wait!

(This is just me taking a jab at thinking that the two situations are in any way comparable, in case you haven't noticed.)

KManX89 said:

IKR? N64 didn't have any trouble getting third party support with its carts. Metal Gear Solid 1, Dino Crisis 1 & 2, Tekken 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-9, Tomb Raider 1-3, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Resident Evil 1 & 3, they all made their way onto the N64 no prob... oh wait!

(This is just me taking a jab at thinking that the two situations are in any way comparable, in case you haven't noticed.)

This is completely offtopic but I have to say, beautiful choice of games. Those are my go-to favorites whenever I have a PlayStation vs N64 discussion. The only one I would add is Tenchu which I played recently and aside from the limited draw distance, it still holds up as an underrated gem.

Spike0503 said:
KManX89 said:

This is completely offtopic but I have to say, beautiful choice of games. Those are my go-to favorites whenever I have a PlayStation vs N64 discussion. The only one I would add is Tenchu which I played recently and aside from the limited draw distance, it still holds up as an underrated gem.

Same, though RE2 WAS ported to N64 at a later time, oddly enough. 

But the main point I was trying to make is that this is a timing issue, not a space issue in the case of MMXLC and other games being part-digital on the Switch. Blu-Ray discs are much cheaper and can hold so much more data on them, so of course it wouldn't pose the same issues as opting for higher-capacity cartridges.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 05 August 2018

I have no idea why this shit was needed

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

potato_hamster said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Here is the issue with whataboutism and the last reply to you about this, when you want to talk about something other than the subject at hand because you would like the conversation to derail from this issue rather than attempt to defend what is going on.

http://bfy.tw/JEmW

There's 11 million results for that, the first page alone features people saying they're avoiding buying the game or that it's a shit practice, so those practices were bad when they were utilized by other companies, they are also bad here.

Just because someone has stabbed a person before doesn't mean it's fine to go out with a knife and turn people into human knife racks, please don't use this method of arguing a point.

thanks for the asinine LMGTFY link. I AM talking about the subject at hand. How on earth is pointing out that games publishers have been doing this exact thing for years and was never met with any resistance have nothing to with the subject at hand? Is the thread supposed to be filled with everyone acting like they're now not going to buy this game over Activision's decision when they have almost definitely bought games in the past that did the exact same thing? Why is it such a problem to point how how willy it is that people are just complaining about this established, common industry practice now?

And that's a false analogy. Essentially what I'm arguing is that there are dozens and dozen of people that have been stabbed to death over the years and no one gave two shits save for a handful of people, but in the last couple months, two more people got stabbed to death the exact same way, are acting like no one has been stabbed before in the history of mankind. Activision has every right to be confused why suddenly, after all of these years of the game industry doing this and not even getting so much as a whimper out of the consumer base that suddenly now everyone is acting like Activision ran over their dog.

Sure the practice is bad, but that ship has lonnnnnnng sailed. If this was something the games community was going to take a stand on, they picked a completely and utterly random time to do it. To be perfectly clear - I don't think it's great or even fine that publishers do this. I never have. But after years of seeing it, and seeing millions of people buy games that feature it, I no longer think this is worthy of any bit of outrage. The mountain has been eroded into a molehill by mass consumer acceptance.

Sorry, phisical collector here.. And as far as I remember besides asinine day 1 patches (but you can play without it) the only game that had any part needed to download was a digital bonus for Twisted Metal and the like. Everything else was totally in the disk to plug and play as long as I didn't bother with any possible glitch or bug.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."