By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games 2 and 3 on the Spyro Ignited Trilogy to be download/digital only

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Well, if they announce it for Switch and it is not all on the cartridge, they lost a purchase from me. I haven't bought the Mega Man collections either because I will not support this practice, which seems to be a new trend.

Same here. Im a big Mega Man fan and collect the games. Especially for Nintendo consoles. But even I wont bother with that shit. Its worse for me in the case of the Mega Man games though since I would have to import the game and only being able to play half the content.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

Same here. Im a big Mega Man fan and collect the games. Especially for Nintendo consoles. But even I wont bother with that shit. Its worse for me in the case of the Mega Man games though since I would have to import the game and only being able to play half the content.

I only did supported it once because I wanted both collections, but I won't do it again.

I understand. They are great games. I have them on the PS4 at least.

Ganoncrotch said:
potato_hamster said:
lol. Look at everyone here making mountains out of molehills. Minecraft for the Vita's "physical release" was just a download code in a box. FFX/FFX-2's collection had FFX on cart, and FFX-2 for download. Bayonetta 2's free copy of Bayonetta was a download code on Switch.

This has been going on for years and years and years. But now we're supposed to throw up our arms because Activision has done the same thing that has been done probably dozens of other times? Meh. There are far bigger things to get upset over in the games industry.

Whataboutism at its very finest. Pointless statement given that a lot of the things you try to redirect towards had reasons behind them beyond "we want to just start putting this on disc now rather than wait for it to be finished"

As for the OP though, what's up with that last paragraph? starts with a dig at Switch titles and ends up at the N64 not getting games over using a cartridge, that's some strange tangent from "this X1/PS4 game requires 2 of the 3 games to be downloaded" do you think Nintendo had game downloads in mind when they went with the Cart format for the N64? I don't get the link here.

So what are the reasons behind Minecraft for Vita, or FFX-2 being a digital download, or Bayonetta being a digital download? All of them could have been put on the cartridge for added expense.  Yet they're digital-only because? I know I only listed cartridge-based games, but those are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head. I know I've experienced similar things with my PS3 and PS4 over the years as well, with parts of games,  parts of game collections, or the game itself being a digital download. Sonic Mania just came to mind, for example. That entire collectors edition just came with a download code instead of a disc copy of the game. Where was the outrage? How about when Metal Gear Solid Remastered came with a digital download for Metal Gear Solid 1 and VR Missions for PS3? Was there not a spare 1.5 GB on the 25 GB disc considering MGS 2,3 and Peacewalker are only 21 GB total? Nah. No outrage for that one either.

People are just speculating that reason Spyro 2 and 3 aren't on the disc is because those games aren't finished yet. they don't actually know what the reason is. They just settled on "Spryo 2 and 3 must not be finished because I can't come up with a better reason". Considering the came releases mid-September, they still have plenty of time to go-gold and send the discs for pressing, and shipping. One of the games I worked on went gold and was sent for pressing less than a month before release. Activision is the biggest game publisher in the world, they could easily pull that off with Spyro if they chose to.   Even if they hadn't gone gold with those games, there's nothing stopping Activision from making the games unplayable until users  download a day-one patch, just have many games have done before.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 02 August 2018

potato_hamster said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Whataboutism at its very finest. Pointless statement given that a lot of the things you try to redirect towards had reasons behind them beyond "we want to just start putting this on disc now rather than wait for it to be finished"

As for the OP though, what's up with that last paragraph? starts with a dig at Switch titles and ends up at the N64 not getting games over using a cartridge, that's some strange tangent from "this X1/PS4 game requires 2 of the 3 games to be downloaded" do you think Nintendo had game downloads in mind when they went with the Cart format for the N64? I don't get the link here.

So what are the reasons behind Minecraft for Vita, or FFX-2 being a digital download, or Bayonetta being a digital download? All of them could have been put on the cartridge for added expense.  Yet they're digital-only because? I know I only listed cartridge-based games, but those are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head. I know I've experienced similar things with my PS3 and PS4 over the years as well, with parts of games,  parts of game collections, or the game itself being a digital download. Sonic Mania just came to mind, for example. That entire collectors edition just came with a download code instead of a disc copy of the game. Where was the outrage? How about when Metal Gear Solid Remastered came with a digital download for Metal Gear Solid 1 and VR Missions for PS3? Was there not a spare 1.5 GB on the 25 GB disc considering MGS 2,3 and Peacewalker are only 21 GB total? Nah. No outrage for that one either.

People are just speculating that reason Spyro 2 and 3 aren't on the disc is because those games aren't finished yet. they don't actually know what the reason is. They just settled on "Spryo 2 and 3 must not be finished because I can't come up with a better reason". Considering the came releases mid-September, they still have plenty of time to go-gold and send the discs for pressing, and shipping. One of the games I worked on went gold and was sent for pressing less than a month before release. Activision is the biggest game publisher in the world, they could easily pull that off with Spyro if they chose to.   Even if they hadn't gone gold with those games, there's nothing stopping Activision from making the games unplayable until users  download a day-one patch, just have many games have done before.

what about this, what about that, I don't even know what you want me to answer. Look from your first sentence I'll bold the answer to most of your "Questions"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
potato_hamster said:

what about this, what about that, I don't even know what you want me to answer. Look from your first sentence I'll bold the answer to most of your "Questions"

And how do you know adding these games to the disk wouldn't have added expense for Activision? If Activision comes out and says "well we could have included them all on one disk, but it would have cost us more" you're happy to let them off the hook?

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 02 August 2018

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Ganoncrotch said:

And how do you know adding these games to the disk wouldn't have added expense for Activision?

Because burning at the bare minimum of 5GB extra data to a disk multiplied by the number of disc's they'll produce will take time, and Time = money.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
potato_hamster said:

And how do you know adding these games to the disk wouldn't have added expense for Activision?

Because burning at the bare minimum of 5GB extra data to a disk multiplied by the number of disc's they'll produce will take time, and Time = money.

Okay, so assuming it'll cost more to produce disks with three games on it instead of one,  it's the same as all of those other examples where they supplemented a disc/cartridge with a digital download and there was no outrage. So what's the difference this time?

it just seems like an awful strange time to draw a line. People are trying to close the barn door after the horse has been gone for so long it died of old age.

Why not just make it a download only? Would save them a lot of money.

potato_hamster said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Okay, so assuming it'll cost more to produce disks with three games on it instead of one,  it's the same as all of those other examples where they supplemented a disc/cartridge with a digital download and there was no outrage. So what's the difference this time?

it just seems like an awful strange time to draw a line. People are trying to close the barn door after the horse has been gone for so long it died of old age.

Here is the issue with whataboutism and the last reply to you about this, when you want to talk about something other than the subject at hand because you would like the conversation to derail from this issue rather than attempt to defend what is going on.

http://bfy.tw/JEmW

There's 11 million results for that, the first page alone features people saying they're avoiding buying the game or that it's a shit practice, so those practices were bad when they were utilized by other companies, they are also bad here.

Just because someone has stabbed a person before doesn't mean it's fine to go out with a knife and turn people into human knife racks, please don't use this method of arguing a point.

KLXVER said:

Why not just make it a download only? Would save them a lot of money.

Because they want to get their cake and eat it too. They want to push digital sales as much as possible by hurting retail, making it look like it's going the way of the dodo, but at the same time they don't want to lose the sales from retail, so they release it on retail anyway.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.