By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS4 is passing the PSP, 360, GBA and PS3 as we speak

I wonder when PS4 will beat PS3 hiting 87m.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
0D0 said:

Sometime in Q4 this year

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

0D0 said:

Early November this year?

jul-aug-sep = 3,5m ish?
Okt-nov-dec = 8m ish?

+ 80,6m or so its at now, and its sure to happend before the holidays are over.

lightningfunk said:

they arent going to lose next gen if they do. 

They PS4 will just become cheaper and act as the entry level model into the ecosystem. PS5 will have BC with PS4, and Sony's AAA budget games will move to PS5 while the AA budget and digital titles remain come to PS4 for a year or 2 (alongside MLB). 

PS4 dropping in price will allow it to continue selling for a good few years (something the PS3 couldnt do because it was just too difficult to drop the price, ad because PS4 was doing so well that it was better just to phase the PS3 out) to lower income brackets and 2nd console buyers. 

if they release PS5 any later than XBOX NEXT then they will have a problem,not a big one but Microsoft have alot of money to make that their advantage

if they want to drop the price of PS4,it should happen this or next year

MS ≠ Xbox.  Not only do they have to answer to investors, but there are also people within the company that probably don't see Xbox as a main focus.  They tried to spend their way to victory this gen, it didn't work.  It's obvious they are going to give it a big push for next gen, as they are already talking about their next gen HW and bought a few studios.  However, if things turn out like this gen, they will do the same thing, lower the funding to the Xbox division about halfway through. 

Really, as long as Sony follows the path they did this gen, which all signs point to them doing so, they will win next gen, too.  They have a nice footprint in Japan, and Europe is lovingly call PS Land.  Even with the missteps they took with the PS3, they easily won Japan and EU, when it came to the 360.  Hell, they even beat the Wii in EU, and only came in ~2M behind it in Japan.  This gen they strengthened their holds there, while MS weakened them.  And with a $399-$449 PS5 on the way, I think they will strengthen them even more. 

NA is really the only big toss up.  However, I think that many of those PS gamers are going to be sticking with the PS brand this time.  Not only is the PS5 looking to fully B/C at launch, maybe even with all past PS consoles, but Sony has also demonstrated that they are reliably making great 1st party games throughout the gen, whereas MS cut funding to Xbox, which lead to a 1st party drought. 

DonFerrari said:
lightningfunk said:

don't generalize

i never believed PS4 was gonna lose to XBOX One

PS5 will probably still win if they release later but it will dent their lead like it happened between PS3 & X360,i know PS3 price was the major thing why PS3 lost but releasing later also added to it

Not generalizing, I said a lot, not all.

So the point is that MS having a lot of money doesn't make X2 more likely to be over PS5.

PS3 had a lot of reasons why it gone down, and even so they where ahead of X360 aligned at a time Sony was in the hole.

So yes I can see PS5 releasing 1 year after X2 hurting it, but even with MS money I don't think that would assure X2 victory, unless of course Sony makes a big blunder on PS5.

JRPGfan said:

~4,5 years into it:

PS1 = 58.19 million
PS2 = 73.46 million
PS4 = 82.20 million

*numbers by KillerMan91 from Resetera.

PS4 is doing pretty damn well, and by next year, it ll probably be above the Wii (launch aligned).

I would like to see the type of witchcraft to keep PS4 ahead of PS2 until the 160M =] one that isn't the failure of PS5 as did PS3.

Yea, I definitely think there is little chance the PS4 matches the PS2's success post-PS5 launch.  Not only did the PS3 have a rocky start, but they were able to get the price down to $129 right before the PS3 launched, and $99 2 years later.  That would be like the PS4 being $149 in time for the PS5 launch, which I think is coming next year, and then dropping to $119 2 years later.  The lowest I see the PS4 being is $199 in time for the PS5's launch, with it maybe dropping to $149 a year or two later. But, that's the cheapest it's going to get.

Still, it should easily beat the PS3's ~7.7M it did after the PS4's launch.  So, I'm guessing ~15M.  Possibly more if it can hit that $149.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 31 July 2018

thismeintiel said:
lightningfunk said:

if they release PS5 any later than XBOX NEXT then they will have a problem,not a big one but Microsoft have alot of money to make that their advantage

if they want to drop the price of PS4,it should happen this or next year

MS ≠ Xbox.  Not only do they have to answer to investors, but there are also people within the company that probably don't see Xbox as a main focus.  They tried to spend their way to victory this gen, it didn't work.  It's obvious they are going to give it a big push for next gen, as they are already talking about their next gen HW and bought a few studios.  However, if things turn out like this gen, they will do the same thing, lower the funding to the Xbox division about halfway through. 

Really, as long as Sony follows the path they did this gen, which all signs point to them doing so, they will win next gen, too.  They have a nice footprint in Japan, and Europe is lovingly call PS Land.  Even with the missteps they took with the PS3, they easily won Japan and EU, when it came to the 360.  Hell, they even beat the Wii in EU, and only came in ~2M behind it in Japan.  This gen they strengthened their holds there, while MS weakened them.  And with a $399-$449 PS5 on the way, I think they will strengthen them even more. 

NA is really the only big toss up.  However, I think that many of those PS gamers are going to be sticking with the PS brand this time.  Not only is the PS5 looking to fully B/C at launch, maybe even with all past PS consoles, but Sony has also demonstrated that they are reliably making great 1st party games throughout the gen, whereas MS cut funding to Xbox, which lead to a 1st party drought. 

DonFerrari said:

Not generalizing, I said a lot, not all.

So the point is that MS having a lot of money doesn't make X2 more likely to be over PS5.

PS3 had a lot of reasons why it gone down, and even so they where ahead of X360 aligned at a time Sony was in the hole.

So yes I can see PS5 releasing 1 year after X2 hurting it, but even with MS money I don't think that would assure X2 victory, unless of course Sony makes a big blunder on PS5.

I would like to see the type of witchcraft to keep PS4 ahead of PS2 until the 160M =] one that isn't the failure of PS5 as did PS3.

Yea, I defintiely think there is little chance the PS2 matches the PS2's success post-PS5 launch.  Not only did the PS3 have a rocky start, but they were able to get the price down to $129 right before the PS3 launched, and $99 2 years later.  That would be like the PS4 being $149 in time for the PS5 launch, which I think is coming next year, and then dropping to $119 2 years later.  The lowest I see the PS4 being is $199 in time for the PS5's launch, with it maybe dropping to $149 a year or two later. But, that's the cheapest it's going to get.

Still, it should easily beat the PS3's ~7.7M it did after the PS4's launch.  So, I'm guessing ~15M.  Possibly more if it can hit that $149.

Still, it will definitely do more than

It will be very interesting to see it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Nice. The PS4 might be my favorite Sony console of all time.

thismeintiel said:

Then how do you explain their funding of XBOX 360 exclusives and marketing campaigns,they didn't answer the losses in XBOX Original & XBOX 260 to their investors.

MS is a pretty powerful and profitable company so they can afford all this without any investor problems

i agree totally but the other guy was first saying that they should relax.They will have to be alert and get everything right not like PS3 when they just relaxed after PS1 & PS2 success

lightningfunk said:
thismeintiel said:

Then how do you explain their funding of XBOX 360 exclusives and marketing campaigns,they didn't answer the losses in XBOX Original & XBOX 260 to their investors.

MS is a pretty powerful and profitable company so they can afford all this without any investor problems

i agree totally but the other guy was first saying that they should relax.They will have to be alert and get everything right not like PS3 when they just relaxed after PS1 & PS2 success

The 360 was a success for them, that's why no one was really complaining.  However, at the beginning of this gen, when it became apparent that the One wasn't going to come close to the PS4, investors started making noise.  Bill Gates even said he would be fine with them selling or spinning off Xbox.  I remember one candidate for the CEO position was sounding that he did want to get rid of it.  The current CEO decided to keep it, but also cut their funding, most likely to appease investors.  I'm sure he has them convinced that they need to strike hard next gen in order to have another 360, which is why they bought a bunch of studios recently. 

Unfortunately for them, Sony isn't looking to make the same mistakes as the PS3, which were the real reason 360 was able to take off.  I think Sony is ready to launch next year, if they choose, but may hold off if they see no signs that MS is launching next year.  In other words, MS won't really have any advantages to win next gen.  Maybe a slight power advantage, but that won't be enough.  Which is why I think the CEO will, yet again, cut funding to Xbox so that investors won't be up in arms about it wasting them money.

JRPGfan said:

~4,5 years into it:

PS1 = 58.19 million
PS2 = 73.46 million
PS4 = 82.20 million

*numbers by KillerMan91 from Resetera.

PS4 is doing pretty damn well, and by next year, it ll probably be above the Wii (launch aligned).

Holy shit ps4 still outselling ps2. That's a megaton and thread worthy. Will you make it? I have to go out now for the night. 

Hiku said:
I don't know about 120m, but at this rate it's safe to say it'll pass PS1 and Wii.

Without a doubt, PS1 and Wii are a given. It really will be how 2019 sales are and how/when PS4 is introduced for much more.