By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS4 is passing the PSP, 360, GBA and PS3 as we speak

thismeintiel said:

The 360 was a success for them, that's why no one was really complaining. 

360 was a success sales-wise,financially MS was in debt with XBOX Original and  X360

So u are wrong there

However, at the beginning of this gen, when it became apparent that the One wasn't going to come close to the PS4, investors started making noise.  Bill Gates even said he would be fine with them selling or spinning off Xbox.  I remember one candidate for the CEO position was sounding that he did want to get rid of it.  The current CEO decided to keep it, but also cut their funding, most likely to appease investors. 

MS isn't a company with their sole business being XBOX so investors sentiment is not that important here

if XBOX was MS sole business then investor sentiment will be in play

XBOX like their other R&D products is an experiment for them

I'm sure he has them convinced that they need to strike hard next gen in order to have another 360, which is why they bought a bunch of studios recently. 

Again, you are giving investors too much power which they just don't have

Unfortunately for them, Sony isn't looking to make the same mistakes as the PS3, which were the real reason 360 was able to take off. 

totally agree there

I think Sony is ready to launch next year, if they choose, but may hold off if they see no signs that MS is launching next year. 

agree there too

In other words, MS won't really have any advantages to win next gen.  Maybe a slight power advantage, but that won't be enough.  Which is why I think the CEO will, yet again, cut funding to Xbox so that investors won't be up in arms about it wasting them money.

there is absolutely no way they will trash the XBOX brand and product.They might cut funding though but i think they will increase funding because

There is an ecosystems war going on and TV Space & Gaming is a big part of that war.

Apple and Google and now Amazon are fighting for that space.

In the near future they will be fighting for the space that PLAYSTATION,XBOX & NINTENDO Consoles have.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
JRPGfan said:

~4,5 years into it:

PS1 = 58.19 million
PS2 = 73.46 million
PS4 = 82.20 million

*numbers by KillerMan91 from Resetera.

PS4 is doing pretty damn well, and by next year, it ll probably be above the Wii (launch aligned).

Holy shit ps4 still outselling ps2. That's a megaton and thread worthy. Will you make it? I have to go out now for the night. 

Not really thread worthy... its been above the PS2 for along time.
For now Im pretty sure the PS4 ends up above 120m... but probably falls well short of the PS2's 150m+ number.

Unless Sony makes a Super Slim PS4 on 7nm, thats able to be sold for like 125$ or so.... then it *might* get closer to numbers like that.

JRPGfan said:
Kerotan said:

Holy shit ps4 still outselling ps2. That's a megaton and thread worthy. Will you make it? I have to go out now for the night. 

For now Im pretty sure the PS4 ends up above 120m... but probably falls well short of the PS2's 150m+ number.

Unless Sony makes a Super Slim PS4 on 7nm, thats able to be sold for like 125$ or so.... then it *might* get closer to numbers like that.

To hit 125 would then need to drop the disc drive and make it digital only? Now obviously this would give bigger sales in the eu, NA and Japan but the real boom would be in places like South America, Russia, India, China etc where it would suddenly be affordable to a huge new market. 

Be very interesting if Sony get this out. Would sell well while ps5 keeps the more upend gamers happy. And if ps5 is bc it makes buying a cheap ps4 and games for it more appealing because you know they'll work on the ps5 whenever you buy it. 

Azzanation said:
HollyGamer said:
That's why i don't want they go in rush mode to release PS5. Just make it more powerful , prepare more new ip for PS5 and let the PS4 sells a lot.

So what happens if MS release the XB2 and have afforable models that might cost less than a PS4 Pro? Do you just wait for that to happen?

Theres a huge audience that just want the next big thing. 

It will be like what Matrick said in response to a possible PS4 launch and that was the day they announce it we will reply with our own launch , and that's pretty much what happened.

Does anyone really believe that with both companies sourcing their consoles from the same place that they don't have a pretty good indication of what the other is doing, after all  Mark Cerny said he had an epiphany moment that lead him and Sony away from Cell and down the road to X86 that ended up at AMD , the same place that MS just happened to land ,so do you believe that it was it  was sheer coincidence that happened or was it more likely a case of keeping an eye  on the opposition combined with any meetings in an industry with not a lot of players rings bells. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

JRPGfan said:
Kerotan said:

Every major milestone PS4 keeps ahead of PS2 is thread worthy =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."