By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SIE Q1 2018 (Apr-June): 3.2m PS4s shipped (down vs Q1 2017@3.3m) / FY18 forecast increased to 17m

Amnesia said:

Does someone know where I can quickly find the missing Q results for the PS4 ?
Here I could not find :

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Game_Sales_Wiki

I guess Sony reported every shipment in its financial reports... but you would have to get one by one on google.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

"The wikipedia page for PS4 has it, its under the RELEASE section."

What ? Which RELEASE section ?

Amnesia said:
"The wikipedia page for PS4 has it, its under the RELEASE section."

What ? Which RELEASE section ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4#Sales

Thank you ! I have everything now.

Amnesia said:

Looks like PS4 will catch back up to Wii by the Q4 FY2018/Q1 2019. With support from Sony PS4 can go a lot further, but I have no idea what they are planning right now. With how much money PS4 is making, I imagine they are cooking up some way to mess things up with PS4, and bring out PS5 on a bad note. That just seems to be they way Sony operates. 

Thinking positively though, PS4 should be able to contend with PS2 if PS5 doesn't arrive until 2020, and Sony continues to keep the PS4 relevant with continued worthwhile Firmware updates. As long as it stays a viable all in one media device, along with AAA exclusives and 3rd party titles, it should continue to sell. A Super Slim, and Pro Slim next holiday along with Price cuts, should see it remain very strong leading upto, and post PS5 launch.

As for Switch, I am just waiting to see how things play out this holiday. I still think it has a chance to go the direction of the WiiU, with sales just falling off a cliff. I just don't see Pokemon and Smash pushing the thing anywhere close to Nintendo's 20 Million estimate. I think it will sell OK, but I believe the lack of versatility is going to start hurting it as we move past core gamers, and into the casual market. $299.99 for a device that is going to sit idle while people watch TV/Movies, Youtube, and Browse the Web is a pretty steep price.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Can PS4 sell 20m this year like it did last year? Spiderman and GOW are arguably their two biggest exclusives ever and both are released in 2018..

I think the 149$ ps4 dream is dead.

Amnesia said:

Every time a read "how successful Switch is" or "Switch is selling like no other" or "Switch is a better console now than Wii was" I just chuckle a little. People have forgotten how big Wii was during 2006-2008. It was not only a better selling console, but it had very good games too during those first years..... Wii Sports, Zelda Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii... All of them launched in the same period of time Switch will be during half 2019. Wii started as good software wise as Switch but still sold a lot better. 

Switch will have its best year in 2019 thanks to Smash Bros and Pokemon 2019, I expect Switch to ship around 20-25 million consoles, but after those games launch It will happen the same thing again that has happened with each Nintendo home console since N64. Nintendo will launch some 1st party games time to time like Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3, some sequels for Mario or Zelda (all of them surely great games) but the lack of big 3rd party games and the launch of next generation consoles in 2019 or 2020 will drop Switch sales like it happened with Wii after 2010.

Switch have shipped around 30% less than Wii in the same time period right now. Pokemon on Switch will help Switch cut that difference, but still.... I really don't see Switch reaching Wii lifetime sales. Nintendo is probably more focused right now in optimizing software sales and online services so if Switch is capable to reach 70m or 80m consoles sold, it would still be a huge success for them.

And Sony is the same, they prefer to sell 100m consoles at max profit than achieving some impressive number of sales that no one really cares. So PS4 will probably sell 110m-120m at most and then PS5 will arrive and PS4 will disappear quickly like PS3.

colafitte said:
Amnesia said:

Every time a read "how successful Switch is" or "Switch is selling like no other" or "Switch is a better console now than Wii was" I just chuckle a little. People have forgotten how big Wii was during 2006-2008. It was not only a better selling console, but it had very good games too during those first years..... Wii Sports, Zelda Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii... All of them launched in the same period of time Switch will be during half 2019. Wii started as good software wise as Switch but still sold a lot better. 

Switch will have its best year in 2019 thanks to Smash Bros and Pokemon 2019, I expect Switch to ship around 20-25 million consoles, but after those games launch It will happen the same thing again that has happened with each Nintendo home console since N64. Nintendo will launch some 1st party games time to time like Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3, some sequels for Mario or Zelda (all of them surely great games) but the lack of big 3rd party games and the launch of next generation consoles in 2019 or 2020 will drop Switch sales like it happened with Wii after 2010.

Switch have shipped around 30% less than Wii in the same time period right now. Pokemon on Switch will help Switch cut that difference, but still.... I really don't see Switch reaching Wii lifetime sales. Nintendo is probably more focused right now in optimizing software sales and online services so if Switch is capable to reach 70m or 80m consoles sold, it would still be a huge success for them.

And Sony is the same, they prefer to sell 100m consoles at max profit than achieving some impressive number of sales that no one really cares. So PS4 will probably sell 110m-120m at most and then PS5 will arrive and PS4 will disappear quickly like PS3.

Well, beating Wii numbers is hard.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

colafitte said:

It all depends of the sales curve and legs. Lets look at Wii vs 3DS for example.

Fiscal year 1-5

Wii-86.01

3DS-52.06

Fiscal year 5+

Wii-15.62

3DS-20.83 (still growing)

3DS was getting smashed by Wii in their prime years then Wii sales cratered while 3DS stabilized giving it a longer life. When all is said and done the first 5 fiscal years will represent over 85% of Wii sales and less than 70% of 3DS sales.

If Switch has a sales curve and legs closer to 3DS than it has a shot of matching or surpassing Wii sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.