By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SIE Q1 2018 (Apr-June): 3.2m PS4s shipped (down vs Q1 2017@3.3m) / FY18 forecast increased to 17m

Sony really underestimated the PS4 this year, perhaps underestimating GoW is a factor in that. They might even have to increase the forecast again, but I'm content with 17m if it sticks.

Around the Network

So for the last quater was it 3.2m ps4 vs 1.8m switch? Insane ps4 sells so well without a price cut. Surely a big price cut this holiday or will Sony go with another temporary holiday promotion? They certainly have the software to keep sales high at its current price but its just crazy to think they're not dropping the price further.

That is a really good performance.They had GOW to push sales after all.Its just a shame they dont have a top 10 like Nintendo does.Would make this way more interesting.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Kerotan said:
So for the last quater was it 3.2m ps4 vs 1.8m switch? Insane ps4 sells so well without a price cut. Surely a big price cut this holiday or will Sony go with another temporary holiday promotion? They certainly have the software to keep sales high at its current price but its just crazy to think they're not dropping the price further.

Its not crazy its buisness. If people are already buying your product than why do they need to price cut? HW is already hard to profit on, Sony dont need to make it harder for themselfs. Rake in what you can get id say.

Nintendo rarely drop there prices aswell. If its hot its hot.

Kerotan said:

I fully agree, its time for a price cut.
Atleast I hope they do a decent one for the holidays (199$ again).

A 199$ console + Spiderman being out, would swing alot of consumers I think.

Around the Network

Great Quarter for PlayStation! The rest of the company remains stagnant or in decline.

<Insert Typical Rant>
They need to get their other devices and entertainment segments into the PlayStation ecosystem ASAP, to turn around sales, start making profits, and increase the value and importance of their OS and Store. Smartphones continue to decrease while they continue to tack on the $5+ Billion in losses they have obtained since killing Vita and focusing half assed efforts on Xperia. They are now forecasting 9 Million Xperias sold for the year, while losses double to 30bln Yen. Their other Google charity program, the display and sound segment is forecasting sales to decrease another million units this year, while profits remain flat (highly unlikely, expect them to fall). There are no words for the level of incompetence going on at the top, and the rest of the divisions outside of PlayStation. They could be succeeding in every division if they would just work as a team, and focus on improving Sony. No more internal battles, no more divisions using competitors software and storefronts. Just one Sony working to deliver the best Sony expereince possible.
<End Rant>

THINGS TO NOTE

-The march towards digital continues with full game sales rising from 39% in Q1 2017 to 43% in Q1 2018. Not long before we reach 50%, should be there by the time PS5 launches.

-Full game software sale were up to 40.6 Million from 38.6 Million in Q1 last year.

-PS+ membership fell from 34.2 Million in March to 33.9 in June.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Azzanation said:
Kerotan said:

Its not crazy its buisness. If people are already buying your product than why do they need to price cut? HW is already hard to profit on, Sony dont need to make it harder for themselfs. Rake in what you can get id say.

So why are Microsoft so aggressive then? It might not be crazy that Sony keep it high for insane profits but its crazy that they're able to get such high sales at that price. The power of awesome software. 

JRPGfan said:
Kerotan said:

I fully agree, its time for a price cut.
Atleast I hope they do a decent one for the holidays (199$ again).

A 199$ console + Spiderman being out, would swing alot of consumers I think.

Sony can push 199 easy, but why bother? 17M is a great number, 199 is not needed.

They need hold 199 for PS5, so they can have permanent PS4 199 ( perhaps even 149 at some point) and PS5.

Very close YOY sales... and it was expected that they would have to revise up the forecast. 100M on 2019 is coming.

On the units on shelf, VGC rule of thumb is about 1-2 months of sales sitting on shelves.

And it's usual to have more on shelf close to holidays (and end of holidays) to assure no lack of stock and then on Q1 smaller shipments to keep normal levels for the rest of the year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Barkley said:
Sony really underestimated the PS4 this year, perhaps underestimating GoW is a factor in that. They might even have to increase the forecast again, but I'm content with 17m if it sticks.

I think it will go up either on revision or at Year End.

Kerotan said:

Hey slow down, to early to say PS4 have a chance of outselling Switch this year.

Azzanation said:
Kerotan said:

I don't remember a relevant console that haven't had pricecuts.

PS1 sold 100M and had a lot of them. PS2 sold 160M and had them. PS3/X360/Wii all sold over 80M and had them. PS4/X1 had them. I think all HH from Nintendo and Sony also had.

KBG29 said:

Great Quarter for PlayStation! The rest of the company remains stagnant or in decline.

They need to get their other devices and entertainment segments into the PlayStation ecosystem ASAP, to turn around sales, start making profits, and increase the value and importance of their OS and Store. Smartphones continue to decrease while they continue to tack on the $5+ Billion in losses they have obtained since killing Vita and focusing half assed efforts on Xperia. They are now forecasting 9 Million Xperias sold for the year, while losses double to 30bln Yen. Their other Google charity program, the display and sound segment is forecasting sales to decrease another million units this year, while profits remain flat (highly unlikely, expect them to fall). There are no words for the level of incompetence going on at the top, and the rest of the divisions outside of PlayStation. They could be succeeding in every division if they would just work as a team, and focus on improving Sony. No more internal battles, no more divisions using competitors software and storefronts. Just one Sony working to deliver the best Sony expereince possible.

THINGS TO NOTE

-The march towards digital continues with full game sales rising from 39% in Q1 2017 to 43% in Q1 2018. Not long before we reach 50%, should be there by the time PS5 launches.

-Full game software sale were up to 40.6 Million from 38.6 Million in Q1 last year.

-PS+ membership fell from 34.2 Million in March to 33.9 in June.

First time PS+ dropped this gen, and also probably first time that around the Q report they aren't near 50% attach ratio.

Perhaps that is due to the Q1 and Q2 having more great single player (like GOW and Detroit) than Multiplayer, perhaps at year end we get a boom of PS+... Some can say this is due to the backlash of the crossplay =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."