By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

Replicant said:
Ganoncrotch said:

If you look at the dates in that image (which you have posted twice, I know it's a nice collab someone made but it has served it's purpose you don't need to keep spreading it online now) you can see that even the first one in the top corner is from Feb 2009 which you are right, is not a decade ago, it is 9 years and 5 months ago, sorry for being so far out to call it a decade, will put it like this, as you are 27, do you recall what you were posting on the internet when you were 17? If someone dug it out and made a nice collab of it to have rabbid haters of you post to your boss repeatedly, would you risk being fired?

edit - Lol....

I genuinely thought you hadn't seen the tweets. That's why I posted the pic a 2nd time. I wouldn't have if the tweets were listed in the OP. I'm awfully sorry.

Yeah, the first tweet dates back to Feb 2009 but why ignore that the last one was written in Dec 2012 (5 years and 7 months ago)? That seems just as important (if not more). Don't you think? Besides, you proving that he wrote these tweets across several years doesn't help his case.

Bold: Of course I'd risk being fired if I said something in public that had a negative influence on my employer's business.

Look, the tweets were made a long time ago and James Gunn is probably a nice fella but considering how concerned Disney is regarding their image and PR, it doesn't surprise me that they reacted when the tweets were brought up and bad press started to emerge in mainstream media.

No dangers, I quoted you after the first time you linked them and dropped a link to Gunn's apology he made about daft things he said on the internet, the apology was from 2012.

Think I mostly stick with an earlier post I said here, "Twitter battle" sad thing to fight in... lose a job in... have cost us the Guardians 3 movie he would have finished his trilogy with.

Just generally one of the worst things to happen from Social Media right up there with people spreading #metoo who don't consider the name of the # symbol before it was coined "hashtag"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Apparently it's claimed the were around 10000 (yes 10k) of these tweets.

Disney so noble now when they failed by hiring him in the first place... to think that firing him will excuse them is foolish.

Does that sound fair?

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Ganoncrotch said:
Replicant said:

I genuinely thought you hadn't seen the tweets. That's why I posted the pic a 2nd time. I wouldn't have if the tweets were listed in the OP. I'm awfully sorry.

Yeah, the first tweet dates back to Feb 2009 but why ignore that the last one was written in Dec 2012 (5 years and 7 months ago)? That seems just as important (if not more). Don't you think? Besides, you proving that he wrote these tweets across several years doesn't help his case.

Bold: Of course I'd risk being fired if I said something in public that had a negative influence on my employer's business.

Look, the tweets were made a long time ago and James Gunn is probably a nice fella but considering how concerned Disney is regarding their image and PR, it doesn't surprise me that they reacted when the tweets were brought up and bad press started to emerge in mainstream media.

No dangers, I quoted you after the first time you linked them and dropped a link to Gunn's apology he made about daft things he said on the internet, the apology was from 2012.

Think I mostly stick with an earlier post I said here, "Twitter battle" sad thing to fight in... lose a job in... have cost us the Guardians 3 movie he would have finished his trilogy with.

Just generally one of the worst things to happen from Social Media right up there with people spreading #metoo who don't consider the name of the # symbol before it was coined "hashtag"

1. It's all good. I don't think you quoted me earlier in this thread though.

2. Yeah, it's a shame that the man won't be able to finish his trilogy due to some dumb old tweets. The fact that Disney fired him due to backlash in mainstream media doesn't surprise me in the slightest though.

3. I fully agree. (Actual) sexism is bad. But so are false accusations of sexism (I'm not saying every accusation is false).

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Pisses of far-right, far-right find stuff he said years ago thats insane, gets fired ----> far left goes " but what freedom of speech? , people can change!!! they fired him making what far right wanted !!! " , far right goes " ahahah fuck that pedo , we won, thats not comedie, he is homophobic!!!"

Pisses of far-left with a nazi joke and said nigger on a stream, far left wants him banned , fired and every thing taken away from him , make a campaign on twitter against him ----> far right goes " it was just a joke, nigger is just a word, freedom of speech !!!" , far left goes " i am glad they fired him , fuck that nazi , he is a racist!!! "

2 sides , bunch of losers and keyboard warriors , fuck them both.

Yup, it doesn't matter if you're far left or far right. Extremists are bad.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
EricHiggin said:

Employer  - So we hear your the main reason we're on the brink of curing cancer.
Employee - Thanks. Just a few more tweaks and we will be able to save millions of lives every year.
Employer  - Well it's come to our attention that in second grade you pushed another kid down the slide and gave them a boo boo.
Employee - Ya, I was a bit of an aggressive kid early on but I eventually leveled out and matured.
Employer  - Sorry but unfortunately we have no choice but to let you go.
Employee - WTF?

Ok, but it's not the cure for cancer he was working on. It was a movie. 

Ganoncrotch said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Ok, but it's not the cure for cancer he was working on. It was a movie. 

They're comedy films!

Don't forget what the best medicine is!!

They might have cured cancer >.>

NightlyPoe said:
EricHiggin said:

Employer  - So we hear your the main reason we're on the brink of curing cancer.
Employee - Thanks. Just a few more tweaks and we will be able to save millions of lives every year.
Employer  - Well it's come to our attention that in second grade you pushed another kid down the slide and gave them a boo boo.
Employee - Ya, I was a bit of an aggressive kid early on but I eventually leveled out and matured.
Employer  - Sorry but unfortunately we have no choice but to let you go.
Employee - WTF?

You make a joke, but they legit tried to make this a news story about Romney back in the 2012 election.

Cancer starts small. Just give it time. Metaphors...

Around the Network
Tulipanzo said:
thismeintiel said:

Seems like they are using what has worked so well for the Left, now. 

And he didn't delete them til recently. Must have not upset him too much. 

I'm trying to think of "the Left" (like that's any help in narrowing it down) digging up decade old tweets to discredit someone.
If I try and remember situations where people were fired, I think of tweets they made and behaviour they held, and never apologized for, at the moment of firing.
e.g. People were angry at Roseanne for pushing conspiracy theories, shitty behaviour -> Disney hired her -> she made an openly racist tweet -> she got fired and had to apologize --> "I thought the BITCH was white!!"
Here it's:
People were angry at James Gunn for pedo jokes -> He apologized and STOPPED -> Disney hired him -> He made two movies for them -> He was outspoken about not liking Trump -> People angry at him for the previous points dug the tweets -> He apologized again -> Disney fired him

Really these situations are always thorny. With companies PR involved the discussion always follow some internal decisions we aren't, and probably never will, be privy to.
Some people's concerns are indeed legitimate and worth taking into considerations, but you're also talking with companies whose main concern is PR, which often lacks nuance.

However looking at this it is foolish to suggest that anyone was concerned.  
It is quite obviously pushed by people trying to silence him because of his politics, not his tweets; you didn't even try to counter me on that because you can't.
"They did it first" is an excuse that would get thrown out of any respectable kindergarten, but it's the best you can come up with.

You're joking right?  The Left has never done anything like this, that you can remember?  They tried to discredit Romney constantly with things that may or may not have happened more than 20 years ago, some of it even happening from when he was in high school.  Of course, every time they found something, it turned out Obama had done something as bad, or worse, so had to drop it and move on to something else. And the whole out of control #metoo movement ring a bell?  What started as a good cause was taken by the Left and careened out of control, with people bringing up the smallest offenses from years/decades ago, just to try to either push the blame off of them for not speaking up about it before or to get their 15 mins of fame with the movement. 

The problem with them is they just love to dish it, but the second the Right does the same to them, they cry like little babies about how unfair people are being.  Ironically, many of the people who are being targeted for things that happened 5-10 years prior, but make excuses or say they have changed, are the exact same ones who are trying to go after Trump for something that supposedly happened once 12 years ago.  Or worse, tried to attack Romney with things that happened 20+ years ago.  Karma is a bitch.

Personally, I'd love it if everyone just chilled the Hell out, but I know in this heightened political climate they won't.  So, since it's going to continue, I'm just glad those on the Right are done just taking that crap silently.  As I said in another post, Gunn wanted to live by the Twitter sword, happy that some were fired for what they had said, so he died by the Twitter sword.

Wyrdness said:

Apparently it's claimed the were around 10000 (yes 10k) of these tweets.

Yea, that's how many he deleted.  He actually got caught doing it because instead of putting the dates he was searching for in the search box, he accidentally wrote them as an actual post.  He was panicking.  And considering he  just mass deleted that many, there must have been many that pertained to pedophilia and rape.

Seriously, what is up with people acting like complete tools on social media? Like, what is the problem here? Do people need to do get a degree before being allowed to use social media?

It honestly isn't difficult to be a normal, decent human being. Just think what you would/wouldn't say in front of your family/friends/colleagues and apply the same principles on social media as well. Or maybe I'm missing something here. Maybe something must have gone seriously wrong in their upbringing to be saying such ridiculous things publicly.

I've never heard of funny pedo jokes so I don't see what possessed him to go ape shit with them. Just don't say crazy shit on social media and you're good.

thismeintiel said:
Tulipanzo said:

I'm trying to think of "the Left" (like that's any help in narrowing it down) digging up decade old tweets to discredit someone.
If I try and remember situations where people were fired, I think of tweets they made and behaviour they held, and never apologized for, at the moment of firing.
e.g. People were angry at Roseanne for pushing conspiracy theories, shitty behaviour -> Disney hired her -> she made an openly racist tweet -> she got fired and had to apologize --> "I thought the BITCH was white!!"
Here it's:
People were angry at James Gunn for pedo jokes -> He apologized and STOPPED -> Disney hired him -> He made two movies for them -> He was outspoken about not liking Trump -> People angry at him for the previous points dug the tweets -> He apologized again -> Disney fired him

Really these situations are always thorny. With companies PR involved the discussion always follow some internal decisions we aren't, and probably never will, be privy to.
Some people's concerns are indeed legitimate and worth taking into considerations, but you're also talking with companies whose main concern is PR, which often lacks nuance.

However looking at this it is foolish to suggest that anyone was concerned.  
It is quite obviously pushed by people trying to silence him because of his politics, not his tweets; you didn't even try to counter me on that because you can't.
"They did it first" is an excuse that would get thrown out of any respectable kindergarten, but it's the best you can come up with.

You're joking right?  The Left has never done anything like this, that you can remember?  They tried to discredit Romney constantly with things that may or may not have happened more than 20 years ago, some of it even happening from when he was in high school.  Of course, every time they found something, it turned out Obama had done something as bad, or worse, so had to drop it and move on to something else. And the whole out of control #metoo movement ring a bell?  What started as a good cause was taken by the Left and careened out of control, with people bringing up the smallest offenses from years/decades ago, just to try to either push the blame off of them for not speaking up about it before or to get their 15 mins of fame with the movement. 

The problem with them is they just love to dish it, but the second the Right does the same to them, they cry like little babies about how unfair people are being.  Ironically, many of the people who are being targeted for things that happened 5-10 years prior, but make excuses or say they have changed, are the exact same ones who are trying to go after Trump for something that supposedly happened once 12 years ago.  Or worse, tried to attack Romney with things that happened 20+ years ago.  Karma is a bitch.

Personally, I'd love it if everyone just chilled the Hell out, but I know in this heightened political climate they won't.  So, since it's going to continue, I'm just glad those on the Right are done just taking that crap silently.  As I said in another post, Gunn wanted to live by the Twitter sword, happy that some were fired for what they had said, so he died by the Twitter sword.

So, when called out on how childish your argument was you just doubled down. "I swear teacher, I threw the pie at them because THEY threw it first"

The Gunn firing is now some sort of vengeance for Mitt Romney?? They were mean to him, but they stopped when they found out Obama did things too? WHAT?
You don't have to be in the political loop for this to sound like fan-fiction you wrote.
It's also ridiculous that a movie director is somehow as important as a presidential candidate, who, last I checked, still had a job, though not at Disney.
"Sitting president may have raped someone and was never cleared" and "A film director made some shitty jokes on Twitter" are far from being on the same level; yet you are using the latter to justify the former...
You proceed to conflate criticism of Romney, Trump, the #metoo movement, in what big conspiracy of "people you don't like" than live it at that, without even considering that these are wildly different issues, none comparable to this firing. Nobody behind these movements organized to get people fired  through an excuse; the act itself was the reason.

The fact you're trying to even suggest making tweets is even comparable to actual rape shows you're too far up your own ass to be considered reasonable.

But yes, the Right, famously calm, collected and capable of self-reflection. 
Have I mentioned the guy who started the call for the firing is a Pizza-gater? Yep, these guys sure don't "cry like little babies"; they just choose to believe an easily disprovable, almost two year old LIE...

NightlyPoe said:

You make a joke, but they legit tried to make this a news story about Romney back in the 2012 election.

Since some people have brought it up, let's highlights some differences, shall we:
1) The "pranks" in question hurt ACTUAL people, and might easily be defined as bullying.
2) The issue was brought up AFTER THE Romney campaign tried using his youth to humanize him, while also hiding the less savory aspects of it
3) This was one of many stories in a presidential election, which already tend to focus on minutiae; digging is the norm, and not restricted to one dedicated group (like Cernovich for our topic) doing it; I needn't remind you all of a certain birth certificate people were REALLY worried about back in 2012...
4) The guy apologized and nothing came of it; he wasn't fired, heck, he's still running as we speak

In conclusion, Romney is a dumbass example to bring in relation to this, so get him the fuck off the thread and find something better