By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

You can't really make rape and child molestation jokes (?) and expect to work for Disney.

Last edited by Hiku - on 21 July 2018

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

The tweets are too numerous and too offensive to ignore, in this particular case the firing is completely justified.

And that's what likely what got him fired. It wasn't just some one-off thing. He made those types of tweets again and again.



Hiku said:

You can't really make rape and child molestation jokes (?) and expect to work for Disney.

Wonder why Disney when they hired him then...



Aura7541 said:
shikamaru317 said:

The tweets are too numerous and too offensive to ignore, in this particular case the firing is completely justified.

And that's what likely what got him fired. It wasn't just some one-off thing. He made those types of tweets again and again.

Yeah, you can't make 11 tweets that seemingly endorse pedophilia, even if they are jokes, and expect to just sweep that under the rug by deleting them and apologizing. His past finally caught back up with him. I've seen people argue that these tweets were ok at the time because the political climate was different, I'm sorry but those jokes were never funny or ok. 

People really need to watch what they put on Twitter, this is becoming a serious issue, many people seem to think they can just post whatever the heck they want to on there because it's "just the internet".



shikamaru317 said: 

I've seen people argue that these tweets were ok at the time because the political climate was different, I'm sorry but those jokes were never funny or ok. 

People really need to watch what they put on Twitter, this is becoming a serious issue, many people seem to think they can just post whatever the heck they want to on there because it's "just the internet".

To be fair, on the same token, I see a lot people saying that because the jokes weren't funny they automatically count as something overtly offensive. I don't think that's true, or fair. A joke doesn't have to be funny to miss being offensive. Otherwise, comedians would NEVER learn how to get better in their performances. Of course, James Gunn isn't a comedian and he isn't funny in those tweets. But I don't think a joke being unfunny should strip away any leniency, either. 

Also, I think your last sentence is missing the point. 10-11 years ago you REALLY COULD put what you wanted on the internet without consequences. It's hindsight and  that's what people mean I think when they say "it was a different political climate!"

I don't think he shouldn't have been fired, though.



Around the Network

Apparently it is true that in order to make a comedy super hero film, you have to be a liberal; and not a very experienced film maker with a dozen movies to their name. Seriously hope this hurts their wallets when GoTG Vol 3 isn't as good as the first 2 and people realize why. Looking for the same kinda flop like Solo was with this one.
Atleast we still have the first two to re-watch, we just don't have an amazing 3rd one to end that series off on a good note. Sad times. There is literally NO one who can do better.



I find it difficult to refer to those tweets as humorous...

And it's common sense not to put up silly tweets like that in any situation. When you tweet, you leave your digital footprint on the internet, and you're not scrubbing that away. I totally understand the firing from a business sense, the same way youtube ads are pulled from certain channels. You don't want to be that company that's okay with an employee of yours with this kind of "humor".

People may think this is unjustified, but I'd do the same thing if I were in Disney's shoes. It's not a good look.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 21 July 2018

for those saying this is completely justified, remember these are things he posted a decade ago, for those forum users who are in their 20s... do you remember what you said when you were 10? because if you get big and famous someone will dig it up and use it in an only argument at you, possibly to try and get you fired, does this still seem like a wise way to go about things?



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

shikamaru317 said: 

I've seen people argue that these tweets were ok at the time because the political climate was different, I'm sorry but those jokes were never funny or ok. 

People really need to watch what they put on Twitter, this is becoming a serious issue, many people seem to think they can just post whatever the heck they want to on there because it's "just the internet".

To be fair, on the same token, I see a lot people saying that because the jokes weren't funny they automatically count as something overtly offensive. I don't think that's true, or fair. A joke doesn't have to be funny to miss being offensive. Otherwise, comedians would NEVER learn how to get better in their performances. Of course, James Gunn isn't a comedian and he isn't funny in those tweets. But I don't think a joke being unfunny should strip away any leniency, either. 

Also, I think your last sentence is missing the point. 10-11 years ago you REALLY COULD put what you wanted on the internet without consequences. It's hindsight and  that's what people mean I think when they say "it was a different political climate!"

I don't think he shouldn't have been fired, though.

There might not have been consequences for idiocy on the internet back then, but when you post something on the internet there is a chance that it is archived and saved forever before you can delete it. People back then should have had the foresight to see that there might be a future where the "it's just the internet" excuse no longer flies. 



shikamaru317 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

To be fair, on the same token, I see a lot people saying that because the jokes weren't funny they automatically count as something overtly offensive. I don't think that's true, or fair. A joke doesn't have to be funny to miss being offensive. Otherwise, comedians would NEVER learn how to get better in their performances. Of course, James Gunn isn't a comedian and he isn't funny in those tweets. But I don't think a joke being unfunny should strip away any leniency, either. 

Also, I think your last sentence is missing the point. 10-11 years ago you REALLY COULD put what you wanted on the internet without consequences. It's hindsight and  that's what people mean I think when they say "it was a different political climate!"

I don't think he shouldn't have been fired, though.

There might not have been consequences for idiocy on the internet back then, but when you post something on the internet there is a chance that it is archived and saved forever before you can delete it. People back then should have had the foresight to see that there might be a future where the "it's just the internet" excuse no longer flies. 

You're preaching to the choir, most people do not have that kind of foresight though.