By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To those who say Octopath is not worth 60 dollars...

I don't like the 2D graphics and art style. I don't need anymore reason to not buy it at any price. I hate these kind of threads that are a response to someone else's opinion/reasoning of why they don't like something.

Around the Network

Is it really even worth asking?

People who feel strongly about it will probably never change. If you give the game a try and honestly feel like it doesn't justify the price tag, you don't have to buy it, but the game is selling out world over so it's not a widespread concern.

I still need to try out the demo to this game. (Currently trying to complete about three different games I've already started.)

I can say with Bravely Default that I had a ton of fun with it for a long time, but then it just felt like the story drug on waaay too long, and I didn't even complete it. For me, I am not bothered by the graphics, and while the length looks good, I am hoping that it will be a quality experience from beginning to end. But I have high hopes for Octopath. I plan on getting it as soon as I'm done with my current games.

Peh said:
Those are just poor trolls. Ignore them.

It's like the tale with "The Fox and the Grapes". Meaning: if they can't afford it, it's not worth it.

Your argument is easily disproven by the fact that the same thing isn't being said about Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, Breath of the Wild, and a large number of other games.

No one is complaining that Switch games are too much, they're complaining that this particular low-fidelity game is too much. Since low-fidelity titles are nearly always priced much lower, this is a valid criticism.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Maybe people don't like the genre, or the art style, or a dozen other things. Some folks are willing to fork over more dollars for glossy "AAA" experiences; some would rather invest in smaller-scale productions. Some would pay a premium for a visual novel, and others will refuse to spend more than $20 for a story-driven game. There are so many different constituencies and demographics in the gaming world. It's a great thing, as far as I'm concerned.

I think the trick is to do your best not to make people feel bad or guilty for enjoying what they enjoy.

Around the Network

It's the art style. That's why people think it's not worth 60, and it's complete bs. I base my purchases off of content, not graphics. Sadly there are a lot of gamers who do the exact opposite... The game visually nails what its trying to accomplish and the result is a unique art style that hasn't been seen before. It's 60-100 hours of content, I don't see how it wouldn't be worth it.

With that being said, just buy what you feel is worth it. Just don't force that opinion as fact on others. That's what I hate the most about these types of arguments.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 20 July 2018

Almost no game is worth $60. But I have no problem to wait a few months and pay half or less.

Mar1217 said:
Conina said:

Almost no game is worth $60. But I have no problem to wait a few months and pay half or less.

Kinda screwd point of view when we know that games were way pricier back then. 60$ isn't cheap, but by the laws of inflation, it kinda is now.

Supply and demand...the games market is totally oversaturated.

There were a lot less games to choose from in the past, much more competition for our precious time today.

Is there a difficulty setting? Pretty much every play-through I've seen has been stomping everything even in chapters 3-4. For me it wouldn't be worth $60 if it wasn't much of a challenge. That's just me though. I can easily see why others would have no issue paying $60 as it looks to be a very enjoyable game.

Graphics are overrated.