By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - LTD Software Shipments for Nintendo Platforms

I believe Wii attach rate will get to over 8 games per console when all the numbers are in and the Wii is finished in 5 years times. The Wii would of reached the 100 million console mark. Wii would of sold over 800 million software titles.

Around the Network

I'm at 13 games for my Wii right now... more than for any of my other consoles...
20-25 will be my final attach rate I guess, if there will be enough good games of course.

8-9 is my guess for the final wii attach rate.

well those numbers are quite huge for ds and wii.

If the console becomes a success in China, Korea and India the attach rate will no be so high as it could have been without those countries, still should be quite high at the end of it's life cycle.

Gamecube attach rate could be high due to backwards compatability of the wii.

Wii software figures are very impressive. Does anyone know the attach rate of the PS2 at the same point in its lifetime?

Around the Network

According to the New York Times and every bandwagon jumper with a blog, the Wii doesn't sell software.

Man, honestly, I wish I knew where that guy lived.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Viper1 said:
NES - 8.1 games / 9 years = 0.9 per year
SNES - 7.7 games / 8 years = 0.96 per year
N64 - 6.8 games / 6 years = 1.13 per year
GC - 9.6 games / 6 years = 1.6 per year
Wii - 5.6 games / 1.4 years = 4.00 per year

Good god, that quite a lot. If the Wii keeps that up and lasts 6 years we could see 24 games (haha I know that's kinda unrealistic but still)

I think the Wii's attache rate will rise as Nintendo and increase 3rd Party support on the Wii begins to move a crapton of these "casual" players up the market. God Nintendo is swiming in so much money...

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Koffie Boon posted this and his math is correct so I'm reposting it here:

Since it seems to be missing in the article, the amount of consoles sold per region is:

Hardware LTD:

DS
Japan 22.38M
Americas 22.39M
Others 25.82M
Total 70.60M

Wii
Japan 5.90M
Americas 10.61M
Others 7.94M
Total 24.45M

Software LTD (attachrate):

DS
Japan 115.00M (5.14)
Americas 123.20M (5.50)
Others 131.41M (5.09)
Total 369.61M (5.24)

Wii
Japan 21.06M (3.57)
Americas 79.37M (7.48)
Others 48.01M (6.05)
Total 148.44M (6.07)

So DS LTD in the Americas has just passed the numbers in Japan, and software attachment rates are quite similar for DS in all regions.

Wii's software sales are really behind compared to the other regions. I'm not sure if they include WiiSports for the Americas and Others, but even if they do it only explains a smal part of the huge difference. (the earnings release says the software forecast doesn't include bundled software, but it doesn't say anything about the software sold in this year)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

dang
Wii's attach ratio in Japan is not too good

TheSource said:

Lifetime attach rates by shipments:

NES - 8.1 games/console

SNES - 7.7 games/console

N64 - 6.8 games/console

GC - 9.6 games/console (to date)

Wii - 5.6 games/console (to date)

You need asterisks on some of those consoles; they were bundled.

NES should be <7.1 (it inlcuded multiple bundles w/ NA & PAL versions; ex: SMB/duck hunt, world class track, Open golf, Dr. Mario, etc )

SNES ~6.7 (most SNESes sold outside Japan came w/ a game)

N64 <6.8 (there were a few N64 bundles in the states, ie. Donkey KOng 64, Star Wars: Podracer, etc.)

GC <9.6 (a few bundles outside Japan: Smash, Mario sunshine, double dash, etc)

Wii ~4.6 (only in Japan is it not bundled w/ wii sports)

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994