By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - LTD Software Shipments for Nintendo Platforms

GC attach rate is incredible

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
TheSource said:

DS should reach at leat 95 million (conservatively), so it should easily top Nintendo's big daddys in software sales - NES, and Game Boy. At PS2 hardware numbers, with six games sold instead of 5.1...your talking...750 million units of software. However at only $35 for games and cheaper hardware, likely not as profitable as either NES or Wii...

95 * 6 = 750 million?

Please tell me what kind of system you are using, cause it aint standard maths... 

125 * 6 = 750.  He meant if the DS had PS2 LTD, which it most likely will at some point.

TheSource said:

Well I would say the iconic N64 games were so far ahead of everything else that many didn't have reason to purchase others.

Smash, Zelda, Mario 64, Kart 64, Goldeneye 007, Mario Party were all unique, and essentially unparalleled on PS1, so those were the games that sold N64.

Agreed. I didn't buy an N64 for a while amd just played Mario 64 and Kart 64 on a friend's system (with a little bit, but in retrospect not enough, Goldeneye 64 thrown in as well). I bought my N64 solely to play Ocarina of Time. I didn't buy a single other game except for Majora's Mask. Years later, I picked up Banjo Kazooie for $5 when my local video rental store went out of business and held an eliminate all stock sale.

So my attach rate, not counting that one super late to the fold add, was 2. Granted, I was playing video games very much at that point, but compare that to the 10 or so games I had for SNES, and the 8 I already have for Wii. I doubt I'm unique in this regard.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Faxanadu said:
TheSource said:

DS should reach at leat 95 million (conservatively), so it should easily top Nintendo's big daddys in software sales - NES, and Game Boy. At PS2 hardware numbers, with six games sold instead of 5.1...your talking...750 million units of software. However at only $35 for games and cheaper hardware, likely not as profitable as either NES or Wii...

95 * 6 = 750 million?

Please tell me what kind of system you are using, cause it aint standard maths...

125 * 6 = 750. He meant if the DS had PS2 LTD, which it most likely will at some point.

Ah ok thanks. I thought he was referring solely to PS2 hardware software numbers in that reference. Meaning the software numbers the PS2 hardware has until now...

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

No I meant 95*6 > 500 million which is what NES/GB software totals reached.

PS2 numbers (125 million) with an attach rate of 6 is where the 750 million software number comes from. 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Is there a way to quantify time as another unit of measure along with attach ratio? Shelf life of a console plays a heavy role in the attach ratio such that if two consoles had the same attach ratio but console A was on the market for half the time, it would be the more impressive stat.

The number of years in the following chart is based on the numbers of years from console release until the last significant year of software sales.

NES - 8.1 games / 9 years
SNES - 7.7 games / 8 years
N64 - 6.8 games / 6 years
GC - 9.6 games / 6 years
Wii - 5.6 games / 1.5 years

You could then break it down further into the average number of games bought per year per console owner. I believe this gives a more comparable figure to work with when comparing various consoles.

NES - 8.1 games / 9 years = 0.9 per year
SNES - 7.7 games / 8 years = 0.96 per year
N64 - 6.8 games / 6 years = 1.13 per year
GC - 9.6 games / 6 years = 1.6 per year
Wii - 5.6 games / 1.4 years = 4.00 per year

The rEVOLution is not being televised

wow. nice find source.

Viper---cool interpretation. Wii is definitely a software selling machine. It will easily best all of Nintendo's records.

Nintendo will report its shipmentls in ~three days time (Thursday in Japan) so we should get an update on the shipped attach ratio then...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:
Nintendo will report its shipmentls in ~three days time (Thursday in Japan) so we should get an update on the shipped attach ratio then...

Ok, I expect the attach rate grow

TheSource said:

The Wii attach rate is more impressive in my opinion. Its been out under two years, the others had six years+ to reach those attach rates, and its already comparable.

Personally, I think I could end up with 20 Wii games by the end of 08' let alone the generation, so we'll have to see how high this gets.

True, Attach rates are supposed to increase as sales become a smaller percentage of the active base.  The Wii's number is actually pretty huge considering that.

It does have the highest Games sold per months owned ratio of the current gen consoles.