By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo on more announcements to come, looking to release 20-30 indie games per week in the future, more details on Switch Online..

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Why are people bringing up Xbox and PS? I don't care about MS or Sony, I care about Nintendo. "Others are having droughts too" doesn't make it better.

Again, Nintendo have bought tons of studios but they don't seem to be putting them to work effectively since the same thing keeps happening. What wombat123 says is probably correct, that they had them extend the lifespan of the 3DS last year, and now we're seeing a lower output because of that.

Or maybe their 3DS teams are still getting used to developing HD. You can get the training but you gotta develop the games. Games in HD or higher take time and with Nintnedo’s philosophy, they want to make sure the gameplay works out then make sure the graphics get up to speed with the console they’re dealing with. Look at AlphaDream. They’re trying to get recruitment now as they probably got something going gameplay-wise for a Switch game.

And Monolith Soft just got a third studio. But games aren’t gonna pour out of that studio right away.

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Kai_Mao said:
As I mentioned before in the Prediction of Octopath’s Sales thread, I’m overwhelmed with how many games there are for Nintendo Switch. I haven’t even bought Mario Tennis Aces or Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I don’t have that much time or money to spend solely on games. I don’t get the complaints of lack of games if people have more than just video games in their lives. Plus there are over 700 games at the moment, regardless of being a multiplat or a port. Xbone and PS4 have thousands of games and not most of them are exclusives.

So hearing issues of droughts is kinda baffling to me. If it’s Nintendo’s first party content, then maybe it’s not as good as last year’s but it’s hard to top having Zelda AND Mario in one year. Plus games are more complicated, time consuming, and more expensive to make nowadays. If Sony or Microsoft could do that on a year-in, year-out basis then maybe you have a point. However, it wasn’t like that in the beginning and it hasn’t really been like that now. Outside of Horizon and Uncharted Lost Legacy, what other AAA title did Sony release from its WW studios last year? And why have they shown some of the same games at E3 for the last 2-3 years? Nintendo has, for the most part, ranked among the top developers/publishers yearly in terms of total releases, averaging over 30+ games published/developed a year.

If it’s third party related, then you probably have a point. It’s gonna be up to third party developers to commit more to Switch as Nintendo has tried catering more to them. By creating a system that’s easy to develop for and using some of the latest versions of popular engines like Unreal, Unity, etc., Nintendo has all but suck (&$@! and give an eight of their bank account to third parties. Could they do more? Sure. But even then, the ball is still on third parties on whether they want to do more than create ports. At least Square has a division to develop Switch games.

I don't know if you owned a Wii U or not, but I did, and Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad, while all amazing games, are games I've already played. So them being released again on Switch doesn't do much for me. I think if you're a person who didn't own a Wii U, this year's lineup isn't so bad, but if you are, it's pretty weak.

I am a current Wii U owner, and I’m still overwhelmed by what the Switch offers. Maybe you have the time and money, but I don’t. Plus, I love Hyrule Warriors on Wii U and I hope to play the complete package of Wii U/3DS on Switch. 

zorg1000 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

We've got different definitions, then. Rereleases certainly aren't nothing, but if I wanted to play the game, then I've already played it elsewhere.

But whatever, I love Nintendo and I want the best for them, I didn't come here to get a defensive outcry aimed my way about how it's not a drought. I'm done replying, so have fun without me, please.

I totally understand if the lineup doesnt appeal to you and i may have been a bit too defensive, i just see alot of people disregard various games for silly reasons all the time so maybe i took out my annoyance on you, sorry for that.

But one thing i did want to ask, you said Nintendo keeps buying more and more studios, what studios are you speaking of? The most recent i can think of is Monolith but that was like a decade ago.

Thanks. I don't know if they bought Next Level, but they at the very least have them under exclusive contract. And we know that Retro expanded, but they've been entirely silent for over 4 years now. There are a lot of studios Nintendo work with on an exclusive basis, even more than there used to be.

Mnementh said:
Shareholder meeting already? This means we should get shipped numbers soon, right?

But back to topic: I think the work Nintendo does with Indies is quite great and I hope this relationship intensifies in the future. The suggestion of more announcements is quite riddled in my opinion. They wanted to reassure the shareholders without saying anything substantial. This is strange. I don't really know what to make of it. Either they have something big up their sleeves they aren't willing to show yet, or they have nothing big and have confidence in Pokemon and Smash, but don't want to lose confidence of the shareholders so they talk about smaller games yet unrevealed. I'm not sure which it will be.

The shareholders meeting was on June 27, the Investors Relations meeting is on Juli 31

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said: 

"I mean i dont necessarily disagree with what you are saying but it basically comes down to the difference between "the summer lineup doesnt appeal to me" vs "the system has a summer drought"."

But it doesn't. The fact of the matter is a significantly large portion of Switch gamers are not going to purchase any of the games coming out in the summer season. That's the entire reason why I used the numbers argument - not because I like to appeal to installbase or majority rule (I usually steer clear of that shit like a rotting corpse) - but because the first thing everyone brings up when you say you're disappointed by a drought is "Oh, it's just that it doesn't appeal to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" . 

"If somebody says that the lineup isnt appealing to them or that its lacking specific types of game than i would have no issue with their statement because i cant argue with peoples personal preferences and im well aware that Switch is missing certain types of games."

No, you could argue with that, you just wouldn't because that small change in wording makes you switch a gear from "objective statement" to "opinion statement", and you wouldn't want to come off like a jerk. When in reality, 99% of what's said on this forum is said as an opinion, with the purpose of being an opinion, with the acknowledgement that it is - an opinion. 

"The issue i have is when people make blank statements like it has a 3-4 month drought or there is nothing coming then its only after someone points out that alot of content is coming that they start to talk about why those games dont fit their personal criteria."

Um, those lists don't fit the criteria of the average consumer in general. That's the entire point. If you're going to argue from a psuedo objective standpoint, that's not the way to do it.

Oh, and I wasn't referencing your list. I was referencing Miyamotoo's, which was literally a link to wikipedia. I think you could actually make a compelling argument that this summer season is the best the Switch has been since last year, by the way.  Lots of big third party game. And Octopath looks cool. I actually would go as far as to say that, the launch months of Kirby(march), and Donkey Kong and Hyrule Warriors (May I believe?) were more dry then this month (well ... I mean ... might as well include Wolfenstein 2 and Crash as this month, right : D) 

ill be the first to admit that Switch lacks any really big sellers from Jan-Oct, i have said in multiple different threads that it seems like Nintendo has been coasting on a steady output of small-medium sized titles for most of the year but still just because games arent big sellers doesnt make it a drought unless the original statement was specifically talking about a lack of multimillion selling titles or individual system sellers or big budget, AAA titles.

But ya i admitted to him that i probably over reacted in my responses to him, you know as well as i do that there are certain users who will take any chance to bash Nintendo's lineup, i dont believe he is one of them but i let my annoyance of them get the best of me.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
zorg1000 said:

I totally understand if the lineup doesnt appeal to you and i may have been a bit too defensive, i just see alot of people disregard various games for silly reasons all the time so maybe i took out my annoyance on you, sorry for that.

But one thing i did want to ask, you said Nintendo keeps buying more and more studios, what studios are you speaking of? The most recent i can think of is Monolith but that was like a decade ago.

Thanks. I don't know if they bought Next Level, but they at the very least have them under exclusive contract. And we know that Retro expanded, but they've been entirely silent for over 4 years now. There are a lot of studios Nintendo work with on an exclusive basis, even more than there used to be.

They dont own Next Level but a few years ago they did say that they are working exclusively with Nintendo, they released Metroid Prime: Federation Force in August 2016 and dont have much experience with HD games, the only HD retail game has been a mediocre Captain America game like 7 years ago so i dont think a Switch game in 2017 or 2018 was ever very likely, hopefully we hear something from them next year.

As for Retro, ya it seems weird that its been over 4 years and all they have done is a port of the game game from 4 years ago. A bunch of weird rumors about them, some say there is internal strife going on and some say they have a weird Star Fox racing game so who knows, again hopefully we hear something from them later this or next year.

But ya alot of the studios Nintendo works with are small and have limited HD experience, studios like Alpha Dream & Grezzo have stuck back and continued to make 3DS games that are remakes & reuse assets and i assume (hope) they are also beginning to work on Switch titles concurrently.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

ill be the first to admit that Switch lacks any really big sellers from Jan-Oct, i have said in multiple different threads that it seems like Nintendo has been coasting on a steady output of small-medium sized titles for most of the year but still just because games arent big sellers doesnt make it a drought unless the original statement was specifically talking about a lack of multimillion selling titles or individual system sellers or big budget, AAA titles.

But ya i admitted to him that i probably over reacted in my responses to him, you know as well as i do that there are certain users who will take any chance to bash Nintendo's lineup, i dont believe he is one of them but i let my annoyance of them get the best of me.

That's perfectly fine. Personally I don't think you overreacted that much. But I can understand where you're coming from in general. It sucks that there are a lot of people who are entirely negative towards a console. I think though that a lot of the people critiquing the platform are people who like the product and just wish for more. 

Realistically by your arguments that is kind of what a drought means. You used the argument that if someone was going to say that these months were a drought for them then they should emphasize it was for them. That implies that they are an outlier and that the general market decides what droughts are. If that's the case, it's not really true that the Switch isn't going through a drought, since a majority of it's users probably aren't going to be purchasing these titles. Essentially, they have no new games to play, it's a drought. Unless you are now saying that, no matter the sales, if a system has games release it doesn't have a drought. If that's the case, then I'm sure I can pull up a Wikipedia page for the Wii U. Oh wait, does there have to be a certain number of big releases?  Is that what makes the Switch different from the Wii U? Well, because indie games don't have as much competition on Switch they often sell as much as B-tier "big releases" do on the Switch. So could indie games indefinitely sustain the Switch? 

See, droughts have always been ambiguous as a meaning. People just didn't stop others from using the term because there was a universal feeling of disappointment. Now that feeling is a lot more divisive. 

I'll say that there probably isn't much of a drought in July ... but I'm not going to be buying a new game till the last three months of the year, and I have to wonder for how many Switch owners does that apply. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said:

That's perfectly fine. Personally I don't think you overreacted that much. But I can understand where you're coming from in general. It sucks that there are a lot of people who are entirely negative towards a console. I think though that a lot of the people critiquing the platform are people who like the product and just wish for more. 

Realistically by your arguments that is kind of what a drought means. You used the argument that if someone was going to say that these months were a drought for them then they should emphasize it was for them. That implies that they are an outlier and that the general market decides what droughts are. If that's the case, it's not really true that the Switch isn't going through a drought, since a majority of it's users probably aren't going to be purchasing these titles. Essentially, they have no new games to play, it's a drought. Unless you are now saying that, no matter the sales, if a system has games release it doesn't have a drought. If that's the case, then I'm sure I can pull up a Wikipedia page for the Wii U. Oh wait, does there have to be a certain number of big releases?  Is that what makes the Switch different from the Wii U? Well, because indie games don't have as much competition on Switch they often sell as much as B-tier "big releases" do on the Switch. So could indie games indefinitely sustain the Switch? 

See, droughts have always been ambiguous as a meaning. People just didn't stop others from using the term because there was a universal feeling of disappointment. Now that feeling is a lot more divisive. 

I'll say that there probably isn't much of a drought in July ... but I'm not going to be buying a new game till the last three months of the year, and I have to wonder for how many Switch owners does that apply. 

Well the average tie-ratio is like ~10 games over the course of the entire generation so realistically the majoriry of consumers are buying just a few games each year so a few month stretch filled with a bunch of small-medium titles isnt really a drought outside of the minority of extremely hardcore gamers who buys dozens of games a year.

Nintendo is expecting 100m software shipped this fiscal year and LTD shipments of hardware to reach ~38m or in other words each Switch owner to buy 2-3 games this year.

To me a drought has always meant a complete lack of something, so like Wii U had where there was literally weeks/months of no quality releases.

zorg1000 said:

Well the average tie-ratio is like ~10 games over the course of the entire generation so realistically the majoriry of consumers are buying just a few games each year so a few month stretch filled with a bunch of small-medium titles isnt really a drought outside of the minority of extremely hardcore gamers who buys dozens of games a year.

Nintendo is expecting 100m software shipped this fiscal year and LTD shipments of hardware to reach ~38m or in other words each Switch owner to buy 2-3 games this year.

To me a drought has always meant a complete lack of something, so like Wii U had where there was literally weeks/months of no quality releases.

That average is getting much bigger actually because of digital games and digital sales as well as subscription services.  And realistically it doesn't have to be a literal of majority of owners, just a majority of active users. Although again, my whole point was arguing from your basis (or at least the basis you came into the thread with). I certainly don't believe in that standard.

And again "no quality releases" is very much opinionated and semantics. 

I think you get my point by now though so I won't repeat it anymore. 

The problem with focusing on only first party titles is that it's basically saying that Switch is just a next gen Wii U. People got a Wii U just for first party titles. Obviously Switch is already selling a lot better than Wii U. I had a Wii U and I was very disappointed with it, because all it had was first party titles. I don't want a Nintendo console with only first party titles. That kind of sucks to me. Having good third party support matters a lot.

Some people on these boards make a big deal about graphics, but that actually isn't that important to most people, including all of these people who bought Minecraft. What does actually matter is having all the games you want to play on one console. Buying multiple consoles sucks. If I can get Nintendo's first party games, and a bunch of great third party games on the same console, then to me that is a win. To me NES and SNES were big wins because of this. Every Nintendo handheld is a win. Gamecube and Wii U were not wins, because I only got them for their Third Party library. Wii was like a half win, because it had a huge library, but I still had to buy a PS3 to play a lot of the games I wanted for that generation.

Switch is already turning into a win. There are already more games on it than I have time to play. To me that is a great problem to have. It is much better than having a drought.