By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo on more announcements to come, looking to release 20-30 indie games per week in the future, more details on Switch Online..

Kai_Mao said:
As I mentioned before in the Prediction of Octopath’s Sales thread, I’m overwhelmed with how many games there are for Nintendo Switch. I haven’t even bought Mario Tennis Aces or Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I don’t have that much time or money to spend solely on games. I don’t get the complaints of lack of games if people have more than just video games in their lives. Plus there are over 700 games at the moment, regardless of being a multiplat or a port. Xbone and PS4 have thousands of games and not most of them are exclusives.

So hearing issues of droughts is kinda baffling to me. If it’s Nintendo’s first party content, then maybe it’s not as good as last year’s but it’s hard to top having Zelda AND Mario in one year. Plus games are more complicated, time consuming, and more expensive to make nowadays. If Sony or Microsoft could do that on a year-in, year-out basis then maybe you have a point. However, it wasn’t like that in the beginning and it hasn’t really been like that now. Outside of Horizon and Uncharted Lost Legacy, what other AAA title did Sony release from its WW studios last year? And why have they shown some of the same games at E3 for the last 2-3 years? Nintendo has, for the most part, ranked among the top developers/publishers yearly in terms of total releases, averaging over 30+ games published/developed a year.

If it’s third party related, then you probably have a point. It’s gonna be up to third party developers to commit more to Switch as Nintendo has tried catering more to them. By creating a system that’s easy to develop for and using some of the latest versions of popular engines like Unreal, Unity, etc., Nintendo has all but suck (&$@! and give an eight of their bank account to third parties. Could they do more? Sure. But even then, the ball is still on third parties on whether they want to do more than create ports. At least Square has a division to develop Switch games.

I don't know if you owned a Wii U or not, but I did, and Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad, while all amazing games, are games I've already played. So them being released again on Switch doesn't do much for me. I think if you're a person who didn't own a Wii U, this year's lineup isn't so bad, but if you are, it's pretty weak.

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Why are people bringing up Xbox and PS? I don't care about MS or Sony, I care about Nintendo. "Others are having droughts too" doesn't make it better.

Again, Nintendo have bought tons of studios but they don't seem to be putting them to work effectively since the same thing keeps happening. What wombat123 says is probably correct, that they had them extend the lifespan of the 3DS last year, and now we're seeing a lower output because of that.

A drought can be subjective, a comparison to all other video games consoles releases in the same period sets reality in how often titles should be releasing. Considering Switch is getting titles every month it's becoming hard to find any basis of the system having a drought of games.

In June Switch got; BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido, Fallout Shelter, Fortnite, Hollow Knight, Paladins, Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Donkey Kong DLC, Lego The Incredibles, Mario Tennis Aces, Lumines, MotoGP 18, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

In July Switch is getting; Shining Resonance Refrain, Pocket Rumble, Runbow, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Octopath Traveler, Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion, Sonic Mania Plus, Code of Princess EX, Touhou Genso Wanderer: Reloaded, The Banner Saga 3, Go Vacation, Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 + 2 and Hello Neighbour.

Sounds competent enough to me compared to any other system experiencing the typically slower period of the Summer months as well as what's coming/came to Xbox One and PS4 during the same time.

Last edited by Green098 - on 09 July 2018

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Why are people bringing up Xbox and PS? I don't care about MS or Sony, I care about Nintendo. "Others are having droughts too" doesn't make it better.

Again, Nintendo have bought tons of studios but they don't seem to be putting them to work effectively since the same thing keeps happening. What wombat123 says is probably correct, that they had them extend the lifespan of the 3DS last year, and now we're seeing a lower output because of that.

Well i didnt bring them up in my reply to you, i gave a list showing that Switch has a steady stream of releases throughout the summer but i guess they dont count for "reasons".

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

Well i didnt bring them up in my reply to you, i gave a list showing that Switch has a steady stream of releases throughout the summer but i guess they dont count for "reasons".

I mean, at least half of that list are games that are already out elsewhere so... yes?

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
zorg1000 said:

I mean, at least half of that list are games that are already out elsewhere so... yes?

So? You are talking about droughts, you cannot have a drought if there are a steady stream of releases.

This happens basically everytime somebody talks about Switch having droughts, as soon as someone points out that it gets a bunch of games then all of a sudden the argument changes to "ya but its all indies, niche games, casual games, ports, remasters, multiplats, etc".

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

So? You are talking about droughts, you cannot have a drought if there are a steady stream of releases.

This happens basically everytime somebody talks about Switch having droughts, as soon as someone points out that it gets a bunch of games then all of a sudden the argument changes to "ya but its all indies, niche games, casual games, ports, remasters, multiplats, etc".

We've got different definitions, then. Rereleases certainly aren't nothing, but if I wanted to play the game, then I've already played it elsewhere.

But whatever, I love Nintendo and I want the best for them, I didn't come here to get a defensive outcry aimed my way about how it's not a drought. I'm done replying, so have fun without me, please.

zorg1000 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

Because that matters.

It's not like it's unprecedented for people who buy Nintendo consoles to only care about Nintendo games. That's been the entire point of Nintendo for a long time now. If this was the end of 2013 - the entirety of 2014 all we'd be hearing about right now is how Nintendo has the real best next gen console because they're supplying the games! You can't expect people to change their tune suddenly because the Switch has a steady stream of games that have already been on other platforms for a long time now. The portability factor of the Switch simply only matters for a select handful of games, and while people will be quick to point out the sales of indie games, it's pointing to an answer that was created by a problem. I.E., if Switch did have a lot of big titles releasing on a regular basis, it wouldn't have the indie sales it has already. The system is inflating the importance of those indies because of a lack of titles (of course a few of those indies would sell above expectations regardless, but you should be capable of understanding the point). 

I think people are not really being rational when they jump to the defense of the Switch's library, because they pull out all the stops to do so. They talk about every demographic possible, even when that isn't realistic in a debate, because the person you're arguing with is only going to be representative of a few of those demographics, possibly only one. I've heard people condescendingly say "If it doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't count!", as if that kind of argument is to be laughed at. When, in reality, that's the entire basis of consumerism itself. Even if we want to be "objective" (LOL) and look at it from a general market perspective, most of these ports, indie games, and remasters sell significantly less than people make them out to have sold. Mario Kart 8 is the only one that's blow your socks off impressive, and while there are a good number of indie games that have sold very well, those are very small in comparison to the entire install base of the Switch, meaning they're hard to use for the general market argument. But of course, if you want to make it seem like a system has a good library, you have to exaggerate as much as possible ... don't let the system speak for itself.

At this point I'm not sure why this should even be discussed. I've seen almost no nuance on this discussion whatsoever, and it's hard to be the one to start a nuanced discussion when the defense is almost always black and white. If I get a reply where someone is breaking out a wikipedia chart with 80% shovelware, then we're done here. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said:

Because that matters.

It's not like it's unprecedented for people who buy Nintendo consoles to only care about Nintendo games. That's been the entire point of Nintendo for a long time now. If this was the end of 2013 - the entirety of 2014 all we'd be hearing about right now is how Nintendo has the real best next gen console because they're supplying the games! You can't expect people to change their tune suddenly because the Switch has a steady stream of games that have already been on other platforms for a long time now. The portability factor of the Switch simply only matters for a select handful of games, and while people will be quick to point out the sales of indie games, it's pointing to an answer that was created by a problem. I.E., if Switch did have a lot of big titles releasing on a regular basis, it wouldn't have the indie sales it has already. The system is inflating the importance of those indies because of a lack of titles (of course a few of those indies would sell above expectations regardless, but you should be capable of understanding the point). 

I think people are not really being rational when they jump to the defense of the Switch's library, because they pull out all the stops to do so. They talk about every demographic possible, even when that isn't realistic in a debate, because the person you're arguing with is only going to be representative of a few of those demographics, possibly only one. I've heard people condescendingly say "If it doesn't appeal to me, it doesn't count!", as if that kind of argument is to be laughed at. When, in reality, that's the entire basis of consumerism itself. Even if we want to be "objective" (LOL) and look at it from a general market perspective, most of these ports, indie games, and remasters sell significantly less than people make them out to have sold. Mario Kart 8 is the only one that's blow your socks off impressive, and while there are a good number of indie games that have sold very well, those are very small in comparison to the entire install base of the Switch, meaning they're hard to use for the general market argument. But of course, if you want to make it seem like a system has a good library, you have to exaggerate as much as possible ... don't let the system speak for itself.

At this point I'm not sure why this should even be discussed. I've seen almost no nuance on this discussion whatsoever, and it's hard to be the one to start a nuanced discussion when the defense is almost always black and white. If I get a reply where someone is breaking out a wikipedia chart with 80% shovelware, then we're done here. 

I mean i dont necessarily disagree with what you are saying but it basically comes down to the difference between "the summer lineup doesnt appeal to me" vs "the system has a summer drought".

If somebody says that the lineup isnt appealing to them or that its lacking specific types of game than i would have no issue with their statement because i cant argue with peoples personal preferences and im well aware that Switch is missing certain types of games.

The issue i have is when people make blank statements like it has a 3-4 month drought or there is nothing coming then its only after someone points out that alot of content is coming that they start to talk about why those games dont fit their personal criteria.

Also its not like my list was a bottom of the barrel, full of obscure shovelware that i had to look up, for the most part those are pretty well regarded titles

zorg1000 said: 

"I mean i dont necessarily disagree with what you are saying but it basically comes down to the difference between "the summer lineup doesnt appeal to me" vs "the system has a summer drought"."

But it doesn't. The fact of the matter is a significantly large portion of Switch gamers are not going to purchase any of the games coming out in the summer season. That's the entire reason why I used the numbers argument - not because I like to appeal to installbase or majority rule (I usually steer clear of that shit like a rotting corpse) - but because the first thing everyone brings up when you say you're disappointed by a drought is "Oh, it's just that it doesn't appeal to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" . 

"If somebody says that the lineup isnt appealing to them or that its lacking specific types of game than i would have no issue with their statement because i cant argue with peoples personal preferences and im well aware that Switch is missing certain types of games."

No, you could argue with that, you just wouldn't because that small change in wording makes you switch a gear from "objective statement" to "opinion statement", and you wouldn't want to come off like a jerk. When in reality, 99% of what's said on this forum is said as an opinion, with the purpose of being an opinion, with the acknowledgement that it is - an opinion. 

"The issue i have is when people make blank statements like it has a 3-4 month drought or there is nothing coming then its only after someone points out that alot of content is coming that they start to talk about why those games dont fit their personal criteria."

Um, those lists don't fit the criteria of the average consumer in general. That's the entire point. If you're going to argue from a psuedo objective standpoint, that's not the way to do it.

Oh, and I wasn't referencing your list. I was referencing Miyamotoo's, which was literally a link to wikipedia. I think you could actually make a compelling argument that this summer season is the best the Switch has been since last year, by the way.  Lots of big third party game. And Octopath looks cool. I actually would go as far as to say that, the launch months of Kirby(march), and Donkey Kong and Hyrule Warriors (May I believe?) were more dry then this month (well ... I mean ... might as well include Wolfenstein 2 and Crash as this month, right : D) 

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
zorg1000 said:

We've got different definitions, then. Rereleases certainly aren't nothing, but if I wanted to play the game, then I've already played it elsewhere.

But whatever, I love Nintendo and I want the best for them, I didn't come here to get a defensive outcry aimed my way about how it's not a drought. I'm done replying, so have fun without me, please.

I totally understand if the lineup doesnt appeal to you and i may have been a bit too defensive, i just see alot of people disregard various games for silly reasons all the time so maybe i took out my annoyance on you, sorry for that.

But one thing i did want to ask, you said Nintendo keeps buying more and more studios, what studios are you speaking of? The most recent i can think of is Monolith but that was like a decade ago.