By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo on more announcements to come, looking to release 20-30 indie games per week in the future, more details on Switch Online..

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
zorg1000 said:

So? You are talking about droughts, you cannot have a drought if there are a steady stream of releases.

This happens basically everytime somebody talks about Switch having droughts, as soon as someone points out that it gets a bunch of games then all of a sudden the argument changes to "ya but its all indies, niche games, casual games, ports, remasters, multiplats, etc".

We've got different definitions, then. Rereleases certainly aren't nothing, but if I wanted to play the game, then I've already played it elsewhere.

But whatever, I love Nintendo and I want the best for them, I didn't come here to get a defensive outcry aimed my way about how it's not a drought. I'm done replying, so have fun without me, please.

If you say there is software drouth and there are not games that appealing to me, we talking about totally different things. Fact is that Switch don't have droughts, and that has steady release of games, but it's understandable if you are not interested in those games.



Around the Network

We're basically at that point now aren't we? We get around 16-20 titles per-week already.



Looking forward to seeing more asset flips and Life of Black Tiger on the Switch.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

No one chugs as many games out as Nintendo do. If you take away 3rd parties for the PS4, the droughts will be there, probably even more severely. It's also important to note that the Switch release wasn't long ago, and Nintendo is just starting to patch up its relationship with 3rd parties. When you consider 2-3 year development cycles, and the fact that most 3rd parties - understandably - wouldn't have invested in the Switch early on, then these games will take time to release. We're only starting to see a couple of ambitious ports here and there, and the trend will go on. Hopefully we start seeing some exclusive Switch games soon.



Miyamotoo said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I don't get how game droughts always become an issue for Nintendo. They keep acquiring more and more studios, they keep making new successful IPs, but still they find themselves in the same situation time and time again. It's really hard to me to grasp how they aren't planning their lineups better.

But Switch dont have game droughts if you like digital only indy games.

FIXED

Seriously there is a drought, hard to get good physical games. PS4 on the other hand you get like 1-4 a week that is a new game. Shelves always got new games to peak your interest.



 

 

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
No one chugs as many games out as Nintendo do. If you take away 3rd parties for the PS4, the droughts will be there, probably even more severely. It's also important to note that the Switch release wasn't long ago, and Nintendo is just starting to patch up its relationship with 3rd parties. When you consider 2-3 year development cycles, and the fact that most 3rd parties - understandably - wouldn't have invested in the Switch early on, then these games will take time to release. We're only starting to see a couple of ambitious ports here and there, and the trend will go on. Hopefully we start seeing some exclusive Switch games soon.

it is still a drought though. Just means Nintendo can't entice 3rd parties to make the games for their system until its too late in the cycle to matter.

They need to stop playing around and release hardware which makes it easy to port for 3rd parties from project they are working on.  2-3 years from now is pointless when the competition will release next gen systems that will make it impossible to port.



 

 

"This game doesn't appeal to me, therefore they don't count, therefore drought".



Cobretti2 said:
Miyamotoo said:

But Switch dont have game droughts if you like digital only indy games.

FIXED

Seriously there is a drought, hard to get good physical games. PS4 on the other hand you get like 1-4 a week that is a new game. Shelves always got new games to peak your interest.

Thats again not true, even without digital games there are no droughts (but I dont see why wouldnt count digital games), droughts means there are no games releases. Seriously fact is that there are no droughts, he literally said there is nothing for Switch between Mario Aces in June and Mario Party in October, it would completely different matter if he said "there is nothing that intrest me" instead pushing narative that Switch has software droughts.

Some of June and July Switch physical releases: Sushi Striker, Mario Tennis Aces, De Blob, MotoGP 18, Crash Bandicoot, Wolfenstein II, Ys VIII, Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad, Lego The Incredibles, Sonic Mania Plus, Mega Man X Legacy Collection/Mega Man X Legacy Collection2, Go Vacation, Titan Quest...with digital games this list is much bigger and stronger because you have Fortnite, Paladins, Hollow Knight, Hand of Fate 2...clear fact is that Switch dont have drouths.

 

OTBWY said: 
"This game doesn't appeal to me, therefore they don't count, therefore drought".


Basically this.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 10 July 2018

It's an incredible day when people are accusing me of "pushing an anti-Nintendo agenda". I've literally never cared a lick about any other video game company. But sure, you do you. This extreme defensiveness is totally going to do wonders. Everything is perfect and any potential criticisms need to be shouted down instantly. Makes tons of sense.

Ports of old games do not cover droughts for most gamers. Like I said in an earlier post, if you didn't own a Wii U, this year is probably great. I did. I already played all of these games. Despite that, I bought Tropical Freeze again anyway because I think it's such a good game, but I've already played it. It's not the same thing as new content. Ports of games from other consoles are of course a bonus, it's never going to be a negative, but again, if I wanted to play them I would've already played them elsewhere when they first came out.

As for indies, I can count on one hand the amount of indies that appeal to me, and they're called indies for a reason. They aren't system pushers or system sellers. When I say software drought, I mean that there's a lack of compelling titles on the console that will drive hardware. If you disagree, sure, go ahead. But throwing lists around blindly of the titles being released means nothing. Are any of these titles effectively driving sales?

Nintendo say they're going for 20 million Switches sold this year, up from last year which had a Mario Kart port, a new Mario, a new Zelda, a new Splatoon and lots of more content. Looking at the lineup, that seems incredibly unlikely. Maybe you disagree? Give arguments instead of just angrily throwing lists of releases around. If any release from any company counts, I don't think any system has ever had a software drought. But we're talking about games that actually elevate the console and make people want to buy it.

I concede, again, that the ports of Wii U games will do that for people who never owned a Wii U. But beyond that, I'm not seeing much this year? I could be wrong, but I certainly haven't been convinced so far in this thread.

Last edited by Majin-Tenshinhan - on 10 July 2018

I am currently sigless.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

It's an incredible day when people are accusing me of "pushing an anti-Nintendo agenda". I've literally never cared a lick about any other video game company. But sure, you do you. This extreme defensiveness is totally going to do wonders. Everything is perfect and any potential criticisms need to be shouted down instantly. Makes tons of sense.

Ports of old games do not cover droughts for most gamers. Like I said in an earlier post, if you didn't own a Wii U, this year is probably great. I did. I already played all of these games. Despite that, I bought Tropical Freeze again anyway because I think it's such a good game, but I've already played it. It's not the same thing as new content. Ports of games from other consoles are of course a bonus, it's never going to be a negative, but again, if I wanted to play them I would've already played them elsewhere when they first came out.

As for indies, I can count on one hand the amount of indies that appeal to me, and they're called indies for a reason. They aren't system pushers or system sellers. When I say software drought, I mean that there's a lack of compelling titles on the console that will drive hardware. If you disagree, sure, go ahead. But throwing lists around blindly of the titles being released means nothing. Are any of these titles effectively driving sales?

Nintendo say they're going for 20 million Switches sold this year, up from last year which had a Mario Kart port, a new Mario, a new Zelda, a new Splatoon and lots of more content. Looking at the lineup, that seems incredibly unlikely. Maybe you disagree? Give arguments instead of just angrily throwing lists of releases around. If any release from any company counts, I don't think any system has ever had a software drought. But we're talking about games that actually elevate the console and make people want to buy it.

I concede, again, that the ports of Wii U games will do that for people who never owned a Wii U. But beyond that, I'm not seeing much this year? I could be wrong, but I certainly haven't been convinced so far in this thread.

This is your first post on this matter "I don't get how game droughts always become an issue for Nintendo. They keep acquiring more and more studios, they keep making new successful IPs, but still they find themselves in the same situation time and time again. It's really hard to me to grasp how they aren't planning their lineups better".

You without any doubt saying that Switch objectively has software droughts, while clear fact is that Switch dont have software droughts, and I even mention plenty of games that proves that fact. If you said "nothing from current Switch lineup interest me", that would be totally different matter instead "Nintendo has game droughts like always".

But most current and espacily future Switch owners didn't had Wii U, Switch is currently at around 20m install base while Wii U was left on 13.5m. I am also Wii U owner and I get ex Wii U owners that now have Switch dont think this is good year, but they also need to understand that Switch 7 months ago already passed LT Wii U numbers and that Wii U owners become irrelevant when we talk about Switch lineup and Switch success.

Like you wrote, in this time period last year Switch had new 3D Zelda and MK8D, but guess what, Switch is selling similar to last year in same time period despite Switch this year still didnt had big games like those, even more, this years January-April Switch lineup was not so good but despite that Switch was still selling good and similar to last year, but from May Switch lineup is getting quite stronger, and October-December will be very strong with Mario Party, Pokemon and Smash Bros.

Every release and more games are making every platform stronger and more desirable in any case, especially because plenty of people actually wants to play some of multiplatform games on Switch in full handheld mode and not only Nintendo games, and thats offocurse one of main strength of Switch.

Like I wrote, probably most current and espacily future Switch owners didn't had Wii U, Switch is currently at around 20m install base while Wii U was left on 13.5m, so ex Wii U owners already become irrelevant when we objectively talk how good Switch lineup is and how Wii U ports effect and sell on Switch. I mean Zelda BotW is technically Wii U game and it's available on Wii U also, MK8D is MK8 port and Splatoon 2 is sequel of Splatoon1 from Wii U, and all those games were selling mostly Switch in 1st year until Mario Odyssey was launched despite they were available on Wii U also.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 10 July 2018