By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo on more announcements to come, looking to release 20-30 indie games per week in the future, more details on Switch Online..

Majin-Tenshinhan said: 
I don't get how game droughts always become an issue for Nintendo. They keep acquiring more and more studios, they keep making new successful IPs, but still they find themselves in the same situation time and time again. It's really hard to me to grasp how they aren't planning their lineups better.

I mean is there any major releases for PS4 or Xbox One this July? The only major new game I can think of is Octopath Traveller from Square Enix and it's a Nintendo Switch exclusive. Other releases like Sonic Mania Plus, Shinning Resonance Refrain, Adventure Time, Mega Man X Collection 1 + 2 are also coming to the Switch as well. It doesn't seem to be the platform or at least the only one in a drought right now.

Around the Network

As I mentioned before in the Prediction of Octopath’s Sales thread, I’m overwhelmed with how many games there are for Nintendo Switch. I haven’t even bought Mario Tennis Aces or Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I don’t have that much time or money to spend solely on games. I don’t get the complaints of lack of games if people have more than just video games in their lives. Plus there are over 700 games at the moment, regardless of being a multiplat or a port. Xbone and PS4 have thousands of games and not most of them are exclusives.

So hearing issues of droughts is kinda baffling to me. If it’s Nintendo’s first party content, then maybe it’s not as good as last year’s but it’s hard to top having Zelda AND Mario in one year. Plus games are more complicated, time consuming, and more expensive to make nowadays. If Sony or Microsoft could do that on a year-in, year-out basis then maybe you have a point. However, it wasn’t like that in the beginning and it hasn’t really been like that now. Outside of Horizon and Uncharted Lost Legacy, what other AAA title did Sony release from its WW studios last year? And why have they shown some of the same games at E3 for the last 2-3 years? Nintendo has, for the most part, ranked among the top developers/publishers yearly in terms of total releases, averaging over 30+ games published/developed a year.

If it’s third party related, then you probably have a point. It’s gonna be up to third party developers to commit more to Switch as Nintendo has tried catering more to them. By creating a system that’s easy to develop for and using some of the latest versions of popular engines like Unreal, Unity, etc., Nintendo has all but suck (&$@! and give an eight of their bank account to third parties. Could they do more? Sure. But even then, the ball is still on third parties on whether they want to do more than create ports. At least Square has a division to develop Switch games.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I don't get how game droughts always become an issue for Nintendo. They keep acquiring more and more studios, they keep making new successful IPs, but still they find themselves in the same situation time and time again. It's really hard to me to grasp how they aren't planning their lineups better.

Yea like the ps4 and the xbox one were not dried up in the desert from 2013 to like 2015. Consoles do get droughts period in their second year which is happening to almost every consoles.

This whole thing with Nintendo feels incredibly sloppy. I'm tired of hearing that it's impossible to have a good 2nd year because of the 1st year when most of the titles released in the 1st year were either third party developed, ports, sequels that took a year to gain an attractive amount of new content, or finished before the Switch even launched (Zelda probably would have released Q3 of 2016 if the Switch didn't take so long for Nintendo to make, Mario Odyssey was practically finished in January and even with the 8 months of extra development time you still do the same repetitive tasks 50 times over).

The fact is that the merging of the handheld and console developers hasn't been nearly as fruitful as expected. We haven't seen a single mobile oriented game yet, and even the Pokemon game coming this year is a spin off using phone assets. Fire Emblem isn't coming till 2019 and both it and Yoshi were delayed. It just feels like a disaster all around. But hey, it will keep selling, and it's still better than the PS4 or Xbox One's first couple years. Yikes, those were bad.

Don't reply to me Miyamotoo

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
This whole thing with Nintendo feels incredibly sloppy. I'm tired of hearing that it's impossible to have a good 2nd year because of the 1st year when most of the titles released in the 1st year were either third party developed, ports, sequels that took a year to gain an attractive amount of new content, or finished before the Switch even launched (Zelda probably would have released Q3 of 2016 if the Switch didn't take so long for Nintendo to make, Mario Odyssey was practically finished in January and even with the 8 months of extra development time you still do the same repetitive tasks 50 times over).

The fact is that the merging of the handheld and console developers hasn't been nearly as fruitful as expected. We haven't seen a single mobile oriented game yet, and even the Pokemon game coming this year is a spin off using phone assets. Fire Emblem isn't coming till 2019 and both it and Yoshi were delayed. It just feels like a disaster all around. But hey, it will keep selling, and it's still better than the PS4 or Xbox One's first couple years. Yikes, those were bad.

Don't reply to me Miyamotoo

But I want. :D

Around the Network
Green098 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said: 

I mean is there any major releases for PS4 or Xbox One this July? The only major new game I can think of is Octopath Traveller from Square Enix and it's a Nintendo Switch exclusive. Other releases like Sonic Mania Plus, Shinning Resonance Refrain, Adventure Time, Mega Man X Collection 1 + 2 are also coming to the Switch as well. It doesn't seem to be the platform or at least the only one in a drought right now.

There was no mayor release in June or July. maybeeeee the crew 2???

Damn people complaining about droughts while there's so much I want to play that are releasing or already released..then again I was an early ps4 adapter and didn't understand the drought complaints it got either

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Miyamotoo said:

But Switch dont have game droughts.

I dunno, it looks like one this summer. Mario Tennis in June and then Mario Party in October is a pretty long stretch of nothing to me. I'm going to buy Octopath Traveler during that time, but it doesn't feel very well-thought out by Nintendo for their lineup.

Why ignore all the other games releasing in that time frame?

Ys VIII

Wolfenstein II

Crash N. Sanity

Shining Resonance

Captain Toad

Octopath Traveler

Mega Man X Collection 1+2

Go Vacation

Code of Princess Ex

Titan Quest

Overcooked 2

Okami HD

Monster Hunter Generations

SNK Heroines

Xenoblade 2: Torna

FIFA 19

Dark Souls Remastered

Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Mega Man 11

These are some of the confirmed retail titles releasing between Mario Tennis & Mario Party, not even including the tons of digital only releases.

If the summer lineup doesnt appeal to you thats one thing but to act like there is nothing is just making things up.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pachofilauri said:
Green098 said:

There was no mayor release in June or July. maybeeeee the crew 2???

Not that I mentioned June, but Switch got Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana the same week as the Crew 2 came out, so it's not like your point can be the Switch had drought for the last week of June. Anyways it's not like the Crew 2 was the most substantial of releases with a 67 on metacritic and doubtful sales with Crash on Switch outselling it's PS4 and Xbox One versions in the UK on release.

Last edited by Green098 - on 09 July 2018

Why are people bringing up Xbox and PS? I don't care about MS or Sony, I care about Nintendo. "Others are having droughts too" doesn't make it better.

Again, Nintendo have bought tons of studios but they don't seem to be putting them to work effectively since the same thing keeps happening. What wombat123 says is probably correct, that they had them extend the lifespan of the 3DS last year, and now we're seeing a lower output because of that.