By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

Thanks, Conina.

And yeah, Boffer is right, it looks like the 7900XTX will sell better than the previous high-end AMD cards. I'm surprised Steam doesn't have numbers for the 7900XT, but given how Valve/Steam has dealt with AMD numbers in the past, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that they're merging the 7900XT & XTX data together, which would explain why the latter is doing so well (relatively speaking)..

Would be a bit weird considering that they meticilously divided up the RDNA2 cards. Guess we'll see in the coming months if the 7900XT (and maybe even the GRE?) will show up separately.

I agree that it would be weird, but it's also weird how long it takes for Steam to show new AMD cards and how they usually "hide" those numbes under the DX9 and before figures until they post them in the right place.

It's like Valve uses the GPU variant to make make the graphs, and it's easier to tell appart Nvidia's AD103 from the AD104 rather than AMD's Navi 31 (215-145000146) from the Navi 31 (215-145000156), with the first one being the XTX and the second one the XT (thank God for Techpowerup's databse).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Still only the 7900XTX for RDNA3... at least it has some healthy growth, already close to what the 6900XT reached and over 50% of 6900XT & 6950XT combined.

Ada is growing much slower than previous gens going by your graph; looks like most folks agree that this gen is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade outside of the 4090 and maybe the 4080.

Makes sense when you consider a 6900XT had msrp of $1000 and a 6800XT had msrp of $650 for like 10-15% performance difference vs 7900XTX msrp of $1000 and 7900XT msrp of $900. It's like how a 4090 is selling at a faster rate than 3090 because a 3080 had an msrp of $700 vs 3090 had an msrp of $1500 for 10-15% extra performance compared to 4080 $1200 and 4090 $1600 with a 20-30% performance gap.

JEMC said:

Thanks, Conina.

And yeah, Boffer is right, it looks like the 7900XTX will sell better than the previous high-end AMD cards. I'm surprised Steam doesn't have numbers for the 7900XT, but given how Valve/Steam has dealt with AMD numbers in the past, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that they're merging the 7900XT & XTX data together, which would explain why the latter is doing so well (relatively speaking)..

That would be pretty bad if they combined it. 7900XTX is only at 0.23%. For comparison, a 4060 that came out a bit over 2 months ago already matched it in steams hardware survey. If it's combined, than the % would be even worse.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
JEMC said:

Thanks, Conina.

That would be pretty bad if they combined it. 7900XTX is only at 0.23%. For comparison, a 4060 that came out a bit over 2 months ago already matched it in steams hardware survey. If it's combined, than the % would be even worse.

While I get your point, it's not exactly the best comparison possible given that the xx60 series are always the most popular Nvidia cards, followed by the xx50 one, even if the performance jump this time around isn't exactly great.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I'm the 1 dude on that list with a 3070 Laptop on Steam

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

3060 made it to the top spot... but the big jump (including some other, older xx60 and xx70 GPUs plus a big one for Intel CPUs) makes me wary it's again some cybercafes in Asia getting overcounted

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 04 October 2023

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

3060 made it to the top spot... but the big jump (including some other, older xx60 and xx70 GPUs plus a big one for Intel CPUs) makes me wary it's again some cybercafes in Asia getting overcounted

Yeah, just look at the Chinese language jump from 26.8% to 32.2% within a month... I'll skip this month.

Probably for the best.

The same thing happened in March AFAIK, so nothing new. It even has the same concurrent peak of 6-core i5s.

That being said, the peak of the 30/6000 series is likely still ahead of us.

Steam released their new survey numbers.

The good: Some hardware finally got their own entries, drastically reducing the amount of "DX8" GPUs
The bad: Chinese Cybercafes got even more overcounted than in the last entry, with an uptick of over 13% in simplified Chinese compared to last month.
The Ugly: Iris XE Graphics are a new entry with 1.41% market share. Are those only iGPUs or does this also include the Alchemist GPUs?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The bad: Chinese Cybercafes got even more overcounted than in the last entry, with an uptick of over 13% in simplified Chinese compared to last month.

Yeah, I saw that too.

Nevertheless I tried to figure out, how big the hardware base is for Alan Wake 2.

According to the October 2023 survey data, 41% of the systems surveyed would already meet the recommended system requirements (RTX 3060 or RX 6600 XT). Since the RTX 2070 Super has similar results in Alan Wake 2, I also included it and RTX 2080/Super/Ti. That would be around 80 million gaming PCs.

According to the August 2023 survey data (before the Cybercafe problem), 25% of the systems surveyed should meet these recommended system requirements (RTX 3060 or RX 6600 XT). That would be around 50 million gaming PCs.

The official minimum requirements start with a RTX 2060 or RX 6600, but according to Digital Foundry, GTX 1660 Ti (with Mesh shaders) and RX 5700 (with Primitive shaders) are also okay.

With these GPUs (or better) included according to the October 2023 survey data, 60% of the systems surveyed would already meet the minimum system requirements. That would be around 120 million gaming PCs. 

According to the August 2023 survey data (before the Cybercafe problem), 47% of the systems surveyed should meet these minimum system requirements (RTX 3060 or RX 6600 XT). That would be around 95 million gaming PCs.