By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Pemalite said:

Surprised at the low growth of the 6700XT/6750XT considering it's the best price/performance GPU at the moment.

It's a mixture of bias against AMD and Nvidia brand loyalty. My bf recently got a proper PC for the first time and I helped him pick out parts which included a 6700 XT but his roommate suggested he go with a 2060 or a 2070 Super instead since he thought the 6700 XT would be worse despite the better performance cause of stuff like drivers. He listened to me over him of course but there will be many other people going with a worse Nvidia GPU instead of a better AMD one due to bad advice like that. Nvidia's current lineup should change public perception on this at least somewhat but probably not enough. 

Last edited by Norion - on 02 August 2023

Around the Network
Norion said:
Pemalite said:

Surprised at the low growth of the 6700XT/6750XT considering it's the best price/performance GPU at the moment.

It's a mixture of bias against AMD and Nvidia brand loyalty. My bf recently got a proper PC for the first time and I helped him pick out parts which included a 6700 XT but his roommate suggested he go with a 2060 or a 2070 Super instead since he thought the 6700 XT would be worse despite the better performance cause of stuff like drivers. He listened to me over him of course but there will be many other people going with a worse Nvidia GPU instead of a better AMD one due to bad advice like that. Nvidia's current lineup should change public perception on this at least somewhat but probably not enough. 

No wonder when you get recommendations like these when you want to compare GPUs:

To be fair, you can also click on the RX 6700XT in the top bar to se it's advantages... but unless you know that, you'll think the 2070 is superior to the 6700XT, which absolutely isn't the case.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 August 2023

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Norion said:

No wonder when you get recommendations like these when you want to compare GPUs:

To be fair, you can also click on the RX 6700XT in the top bar to se it's advantages... but unless you know that, you'll think the 2070 is superior to the 6700XT, which absolutely isn't the case.

What is that site? It's perplexing the 2070 has more points when based on the criteria it's rated worse in 3, even in 1 and better in only one.

Norion said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

What is that site? It's perplexing the 2070 has more points when based on the criteria it's rated worse in 3, even in 1 and better in only one.

https://versus.com/en/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-founders-edition

Here you are.

Of course, if you're reading further than that you probably see immediately that the 6700XT would be a better card... but NVidia still wins the duel in their ranking system by 1 point for some reason.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Norion said:

https://versus.com/en/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-founders-edition

Here you are.

Of course, if you're reading further than that you probably see immediately that the 6700XT would be a better card... but NVidia still wins the duel in their ranking system by 1 point for some reason.

It says more weight is given to aspects voted as more important by users so my guess is it's due to factors like DLSS and the lower TDP contributing a lot. Still really dumb though.

Around the Network
Norion said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Here you are.

It says more weight is given to aspects voted as more important by users so my guess is it's due to factors like DLSS and the lower TDP contributing a lot. Still really dumb though.

That is one of the issues with TDP, people associate it with power consumption, when it simply isn't the case.

The 2070 and 6700XT have similar power draws of 206w vs 217w respectively.
But the AMD card will have 20ms power spikes to 321w verses the 2070's 217w, which is why it looks significantly more power hungry in charts.

And as we know, AMD's RDNA2 benefitted greatly from the Infinity cache, making the bandwidth numbers and memory bus widths non-comparable.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ada Lovelace (RTX 40x0 series) now has a 2.3% share, Ampere + Ada now almost at 30% share, RTX in total almost 40%:

RDNA3 (RX 7x00 series) now has a 0.23% share, RDNA2 + RDNA 3 now 3.6% share, RDNA in total almost 10% (plus ~2.5% "AMD Radeon Graphics"):

Still only the 7900XTX for RDNA3... at least it has some healthy growth, already close to what the 6900XT reached and over 50% of 6900XT & 6950XT combined.

Ada is growing much slower than previous gens going by your graph; looks like most folks agree that this gen is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade outside of the 4090 and maybe the 4080.

Thanks, Conina.

And yeah, Boffer is right, it looks like the 7900XTX will sell better than the previous high-end AMD cards. I'm surprised Steam doesn't have numbers for the 7900XT, but given how Valve/Steam has dealt with AMD numbers in the past, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that they're merging the 7900XT & XTX data together, which would explain why the latter is doing so well (relatively speaking)..

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Thanks, Conina.

And yeah, Boffer is right, it looks like the 7900XTX will sell better than the previous high-end AMD cards. I'm surprised Steam doesn't have numbers for the 7900XT, but given how Valve/Steam has dealt with AMD numbers in the past, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that they're merging the 7900XT & XTX data together, which would explain why the latter is doing so well (relatively speaking)..

Would be a bit weird considering that they meticilously divided up the RDNA2 cards. Guess we'll see in the coming months if the 7900XT (and maybe even the GRE?) will show up separately.