By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Those unknown Radeons could also be the integrated parts inside AMD's APUs. If their desktop CPUs sell more, their APUs should also see some growth, specially the mobile ones.

Thanks for doing this, Conina.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

Those unknown Radeons could also be the integrated parts inside AMD's APUs. If their desktop CPUs sell more, their APUs should also see some growth, specially the mobile ones.

Thanks for doing this, Conina.

Could be.

The last Vega-based APUs (Renoir) have launch a long time ago. Valve should know them by now:

Maybe these are Lucienne and Cezanne APUs.

Could possibly also be Radeon Instinct cards, though I have my doubts they'd get that high, even when all versions are taken together

The May survey results were boring, all trends as expected. But June had some unexpected changes.

- the share of DX12-GPUs has gone down a bit since April from 93.65% to 92.89%

- the share of connected VR headsets has gone down a lot! Well, I couldn't blame anyone to not use a VR headset in the hot summer months

- the Radeon RX 6700 XT had its debut in "DirectX12 systems" with 0.09%. It brings the total of RDNA2-GPUs from 0.20% to 0.29%... so 45% gain

- still no RNDA2 model has reached 0.15% to show up in the "all video cards" statistic

- the RTX 2060 had a very unusual spike from 5.00% to 5.99%

• RTX 30x0 has reached 4.39% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months... for comparison:
  • RTX 20x0 had reached 3.12% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • GTX 16x0 + RTX 20x0 had reached 3.76% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • GTX 10x0 had reached 7.75% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • GTX 9x0 had reached 4.68% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • the Steam hardware base and user base have hugely grown over the years... so 4.39% in 2021 will be much more GPU units than 4.68% in 2015

- 19.31% of the GPUs are RT-compatible... based on the 120 million MAUs that would be ~23.2 million units.
   for comparison: ~14.9 million RT-compatible consoles (VGC-estimate: 9.34m PS5 and 5.55m Xbox Series X/S)

- 19.02% of the GPUs are DLSS-compatible... based on the 120 million MAUs that would be ~22.8 million units.
   DLSS-supported games can perform better on a RTX 2060 than on PS5/SeriesX or RX 6800/XT

- Intel CPUs 2.7 - 2.99 GHz had a very unusual spike from 12.96% to 15.73%

- AMD CPUs 3.3 - 3.69 GHz had an unusual fall from 15.06% to 13.80%

- the trend to AMD CPUs seems to have turned (for now, maybe this month is  just a fluke)

Last edited by Conina - on 02 July 2021

Thanks, Conina.

We'll have to wait until next month to see if those trend changes are really a thing or just bad luck with the surveyed systems. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU one, where Intel gains some ground to AMD is the real deal. Many prefer to skimp a bit on the CPU to get a better GPU and, nowadays, Intel has better budget CPUs than AMD.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

No way to sugarcoat it: a bad month for AMD, both GPU and CPU (if Valve didn't fuck up the survey data)

Valve may have f*ckd it up as it does every now and then, but those numbers don't surprise me: their GPUs are harder to find than the ones from Nvidia and are more overpriced; and Intel's CPUs are not only as fast when it comes to gaming, but they also have a bigger range and cheaper alternatives (hard to believe but true).

In short, AMD needs to get its shit together.

Thanks for the numbers, Conina.

Considering how AMD's dGPU market share keeps on going down every quarter and Nvidia's dGPU keeps going up according to JPR, it doesn't surprise me.

https://videocardz.com/press-release/jpr-gpu-shipments-soar-in-q2-year-over-year

AMD: 17%
Nvidia 83%

The reality is, Jensen made 1000 IQ move by going with Samsung. While everyone else tries to battle it out with TSMC for supply, Jensen gets to ship massive amounts of units with Samsung at lower prices than TSMC. It will change next year though as both Nvidia and AMD are supposed to be going with TSMC.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

While it's a bad month for AMD on the GPU side of things, I'm not sure if I should believe those numbers on the CPU side.

Win 7 made a major jump up yet again from 5.68% to now 9% flat. Keep in mind that in May Windows 7 had only 2.04% market share anymore. It's also visible on the GPU side of things, where some old GPUs, most notably the 1060, are making big strides upwards again, gaining over 1.3 percentage points in the charts.

Another hint is the CPU chart. All gains from Intel come from a single performance range or 2.7-3Ghz - a range where you almost can't find any Intel desktop CPU anymore for a long while now: The last Intel CPU where i5 and i7 had many non-T models under 3Ghz base clock was Sandy Bridge, although the non-K models of Comet Lake could count, too (Rocket Lake has a base clock of 2.5Ghz on those models, which is below the mark).

All this hints that Cybercafés or something similar are again getting multiple entries per PC, which will need to get corrected at some point. I just hope this will come sooner rather than later...

^Good catch.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel actually manages to gain some ground. I've checked a bit in some stores and founf that the i7 11700K/KF is almost 70€ cheaper than the R7 5800X, and both give the same performance in games. Given that the motherboards from both sides cost mostly the same and that you can go with 3200MHz RAM for Intel, but it would be better to go with a 3600MHz kit for AMD, going with Intel could save you quite some money, or be enough to buy a better motherboard or NVMe drive.