By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

While it's a bad month for AMD on the GPU side of things, I'm not sure if I should believe those numbers on the CPU side.

Win 7 made a major jump up yet again from 5.68% to now 9% flat. Keep in mind that in May Windows 7 had only 2.04% market share anymore. It's also visible on the GPU side of things, where some old GPUs, most notably the 1060, are making big strides upwards again, gaining over 1.3 percentage points in the charts.

Another hint is the CPU chart. All gains from Intel come from a single performance range or 2.7-3Ghz - a range where you almost can't find any Intel desktop CPU anymore for a long while now: The last Intel CPU where i5 and i7 had many non-T models under 3Ghz base clock was Sandy Bridge, although the non-K models of Comet Lake could count, too (Rocket Lake has a base clock of 2.5Ghz on those models, which is below the mark).

All this hints that Cybercafés or something similar are again getting multiple entries per PC, which will need to get corrected at some point. I just hope this will come sooner rather than later...

Around the Network

^Good catch.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel actually manages to gain some ground. I've checked a bit in some stores and founf that the i7 11700K/KF is almost 70€ cheaper than the R7 5800X, and both give the same performance in games. Given that the motherboards from both sides cost mostly the same and that you can go with 3200MHz RAM for Intel, but it would be better to go with a 3600MHz kit for AMD, going with Intel could save you quite some money, or be enough to buy a better motherboard or NVMe drive.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

^Good catch.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel actually manages to gain some ground. I've checked a bit in some stores and founf that the i7 11700K/KF is almost 70€ cheaper than the R7 5800X, and both give the same performance in games. Given that the motherboards from both sides cost mostly the same and that you can go with 3200MHz RAM for Intel, but it would be better to go with a 3600MHz kit for AMD, going with Intel could save you quite some money, or be enough to buy a better motherboard or NVMe drive.

I think this is very dependent on the store. I checked here and the difference is only 33€.

Zen 3 chips have dropped a bit in price, with the 5800X being sold at 420€, while the 5600X is now available for 290€. And it's not just in Europe, here's a look at the average price of the Zen 3 chips at pcpartpicker:

Rocket Lake prices are still pretty stable, so the price advantage of Intel is shrinking. Let's hope they also lower their prices and engage in a price war, so that at least the CPUs become more affordable again.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

^Good catch.

I think this is very dependent on the store. I checked here and the difference is only 33€.

Zen 3 chips have dropped a bit in price, with the 5800X being sold at 420€, while the 5600X is now available for 290€. And it's not just in Europe, here's a look at the average price of the Zen 3 chips at pcpartpicker:

*graphs*

Rocket Lake prices are still pretty stable, so the price advantage of Intel is shrinking. Let's hope they also lower their prices and engage in a price war, so that at least the CPUs become more affordable again.

I agree that prices will vary from store to store, and also rom country to country. I checked 3 stores and in all three the difference was around those 70 €.

And you actually make a good point, AMD f*cked up by not launching a 5700 processor to fill that huge gap between the 5800 and 5600 processors like they did with its previous Zen processors.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

*graphs*

I agree that prices will vary from store to store, and also rom country to country. I checked 3 stores and in all three the difference was around those 70 €.

And you actually make a good point, AMD f*cked up by not launching a 5700 processor to fill that huge gap between the 5800 and 5600 processors like they did with its previous Zen processors.

Well... there's the 5700G, and at 380€, it is 40€ cheaper than the 5800X and fitting in between the 5800X and 5600X - just not really in the middle of the two.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

Well... there's the 5700G, and at 380€, it is 40€ cheaper than the 5800X and fitting in between the 5800X and 5600X - just not really in the middle of the two.

You mean the processors that launched last month and that are limited to PCIe 3.0, not 4.0 like the rest of the Zen3 ones? Yeah, it's a very good productivity chip, but it fall behind the 5600X in gaming tests.

JEMC said:

^Good catch.

One of the reasons why I believe that AMD actually grew and not contracted is because under Linux, AMD grew by 2% (to 40% now) in the same timeframe, making the gap between the market share on Windows and Linux almost 13% now while in May (and the months before), is was only half as big.

After some doubtful summer-stats, the Steam survey seems to be back on track.

• Windows 10 is back at 90%, the strange doubling of the Windows 7 share is gone
  • AMD CPUs are back at 30%, Intel CPUs slightly under 70%
  • The strange growth of GTX 1060 GPUs is gone

The first RDNA2-GPU managed to reach the 0.15% barrier in the "all video cards" chart! It is the RX 6700 XT, the longer available 6800-6900 cards are still under 0.15%.

RDNA2 share in total is now 0.43%. Meanwhile RTX Ampere is now at 8.03%... so a ratio of 18.7 : 1

Conina said:

After some doubtful summer-stats, the Steam survey seems to be back on track.

• Windows 10 is back at 90%, the strange doubling of the Windows 7 share is gone
  • AMD CPUs are back at 30%, Intel CPUs slightly under 70%
  • The strange growth of GTX 1060 GPUs is gone

The first RDNA2-GPU managed to reach the 0.15% barrier in the "all video cards" chart! It is the RX 6700 XT, the longer available 6800-6900 cards are still under 0.15%.

RDNA2 share in total is now 0.43%. Meanwhile RTX Ampere is now at 8.03%... so a ratio of 18.7 : 1

It's not fully back on track, as in Spring Win 7 was at 2%. It's also visible on the GPU side, as the 2060 is not yet back to normal level and still inflated, and on the CPU side, as hexacores had a hefty drop this month, with some of it going to dual- and quadcores. But at least the 1060 numbers got corrected now. It's way more correct than last month's numbers, that's for sure, but there's still some way to go.

Thanks for the numbers, Conina.