By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

What's those Radeon (TM) Graphics? Unsorted cards? APUs? Or possibly something else?

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

What's those Radeon (TM) Graphics? Unsorted cards? APUs? Or possibly something else?

Probably Radeon cards which aren't recognized correctly in the Steam database (beta driver / bios?)... hopefully RDNA2-cards.

Similar to the "DX8 or below" GPUs before Valve fixed that.

Perhaps Valve ran out of these again:

Those unknown Radeons could also be the integrated parts inside AMD's APUs. If their desktop CPUs sell more, their APUs should also see some growth, specially the mobile ones.

Thanks for doing this, Conina.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Those unknown Radeons could also be the integrated parts inside AMD's APUs. If their desktop CPUs sell more, their APUs should also see some growth, specially the mobile ones.

Thanks for doing this, Conina.

Could be.

The last Vega-based APUs (Renoir) have launch a long time ago. Valve should know them by now:

Maybe these are Lucienne and Cezanne APUs.

Could possibly also be Radeon Instinct cards, though I have my doubts they'd get that high, even when all versions are taken together

Around the Network

The May survey results were boring, all trends as expected. But June had some unexpected changes.

- the share of DX12-GPUs has gone down a bit since April from 93.65% to 92.89%

- the share of connected VR headsets has gone down a lot! Well, I couldn't blame anyone to not use a VR headset in the hot summer months

- the Radeon RX 6700 XT had its debut in "DirectX12 systems" with 0.09%. It brings the total of RDNA2-GPUs from 0.20% to 0.29%... so 45% gain

- still no RNDA2 model has reached 0.15% to show up in the "all video cards" statistic

- the RTX 2060 had a very unusual spike from 5.00% to 5.99%

• RTX 30x0 has reached 4.39% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months... for comparison:
  • RTX 20x0 had reached 3.12% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • GTX 16x0 + RTX 20x0 had reached 3.76% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • GTX 10x0 had reached 7.75% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • GTX 9x0 had reached 4.68% share of the surveyed Steam PCs after 9 full months
  • the Steam hardware base and user base have hugely grown over the years... so 4.39% in 2021 will be much more GPU units than 4.68% in 2015

- 19.31% of the GPUs are RT-compatible... based on the 120 million MAUs that would be ~23.2 million units.
   for comparison: ~14.9 million RT-compatible consoles (VGC-estimate: 9.34m PS5 and 5.55m Xbox Series X/S)

- 19.02% of the GPUs are DLSS-compatible... based on the 120 million MAUs that would be ~22.8 million units.
   DLSS-supported games can perform better on a RTX 2060 than on PS5/SeriesX or RX 6800/XT

- Intel CPUs 2.7 - 2.99 GHz had a very unusual spike from 12.96% to 15.73%

- AMD CPUs 3.3 - 3.69 GHz had an unusual fall from 15.06% to 13.80%

- the trend to AMD CPUs seems to have turned (for now, maybe this month is  just a fluke)

Last edited by Conina - on 02 July 2021

Thanks, Conina.

We'll have to wait until next month to see if those trend changes are really a thing or just bad luck with the surveyed systems. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU one, where Intel gains some ground to AMD is the real deal. Many prefer to skimp a bit on the CPU to get a better GPU and, nowadays, Intel has better budget CPUs than AMD.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

No way to sugarcoat it: a bad month for AMD, both GPU and CPU (if Valve didn't fuck up the survey data)

Valve may have f*ckd it up as it does every now and then, but those numbers don't surprise me: their GPUs are harder to find than the ones from Nvidia and are more overpriced; and Intel's CPUs are not only as fast when it comes to gaming, but they also have a bigger range and cheaper alternatives (hard to believe but true).

In short, AMD needs to get its shit together.

Thanks for the numbers, Conina.

Considering how AMD's dGPU market share keeps on going down every quarter and Nvidia's dGPU keeps going up according to JPR, it doesn't surprise me.

https://videocardz.com/press-release/jpr-gpu-shipments-soar-in-q2-year-over-year

AMD: 17%
Nvidia 83%

The reality is, Jensen made 1000 IQ move by going with Samsung. While everyone else tries to battle it out with TSMC for supply, Jensen gets to ship massive amounts of units with Samsung at lower prices than TSMC. It will change next year though as both Nvidia and AMD are supposed to be going with TSMC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850