By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which generations should be included

5th gen and down 11 36.67%

6th gen and down 14 46.67%

7th gen and down 5 16.67%

Total:30
VGPolyglot said:

Welcome everyone to the Retro Gaming Hub!! This doesn't have any mod approval so it is not an official thread, but since the TC of the official thread has left the site, I'm going to try to go where he left off! This thread will centre around discussion of video games up until the 6th generation! We can discuss our memories, our playthroughs, our collection, maybe even possible news! In any case, I hope y'all will enjoy the ride!

The types of retro games

In terms of retro gaming, I think we can split it into these 4 categories:

1. Arcade gaming - The origins of commercially-available video gaming as a whole, these are those titles with the cabinets that you would see at a local venue and input your coins into! Examples: Neo-Geo MVS, CPS-1, Sega Model 1
  2. Console gaming - This is probably what most people will think of when it comes to retro gaming. Video game consoles are systems that plug into a screen and whose main purpose is to specifically play video games. Examples: Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, PlayStation
  3. Handheld gaming - Similar to home consoles in that they are specifically designed for gaming, however they also have the added bonus of being portable, usually at the cost of less horsepower. Examples: MicroVision, Game Boy, Game Gear
  4. Computer gaming - While all gaming units are technically computers, in our circles it generally has a much more limited usage. Home computers which were designed as either business-devices or multipurpose platforms also ended up having titles released onto their platform. Examples: Apple II, IBM-compatible PCs, ZX Spectrum

We should find a way to organise the discussions so the thread doesn't get too jumbled. Or have 'daily topics' we do. (Like the giant Nintendo & Sony threads) 

Around the Network
drbunnig said:

Almost finished my annual Tomb Raider II run (halfway through Ice Palace at the moment. No medipacks, all secrets of course). After that I think I'm going to dig into a bit of Mega Drive / Genesis action. I grew up with the SNES and I feel I've missed out on a lot. Anyone got any game recommendations? Maybe some hidden gems that don't get mentioned much? I'm familiar with:

- all Sonic, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Ecco games
- Landstalker
- Aladdin

Some good ones are the Thunder Force games and M.U.S.H.A if you like scrolling spaceship shooter type (the Mega Drive is full of these), Rocket Knight and Sparkster (its totally different from the SNES game some people don't like it but I think its still good) Earthworm Jim, Castlevania Bloodlines/New Generation, Probotector/Contra Hard Corps, most of the games on the recent Sega Mega Drive Collection.

I would post a picture of my game retro game collection but I don't have them displayed or organised, they are just crammed into multiple boxes (microwave boxes and such) I've been meaning to buy some shelving and improve my retro gaming setup, for years I've just had a bunch of my old consoles set up with a CRT, so I guess I'll show that. I would have an N64 but my brother has currently got it and I have an adapter for playing Master System on my Mega Drive. I don't have the Action Replay cart for the Saturn but I am interested in getting one. Excuse the dust, they are all connected but don't keep controllers connected to avoid a mess of wires.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 06 July 2018

Well, I just bought an NES Classic this past July 4th if that means anything.

I do a lot of retro gaming.  Right now I am focusing on the Sega Genesis.  Although I don't do much collecting.  I tend to play a bunch of games and then move on to another system.

Shadow1980 said:
Personally, I define "retro gaming" as anything before Gen 5, which was when gaming effectively and almost completely shifted from 2D to 3D. Of course, I was born in 1980, and the PS1 & N64 weren't released until I was in high school, so I grew up with 2D being the norm. Younger generations will probably have different conceptions of what constitutes "retro," as will people that use a "Anything older than x years" metric (which I don't use because it makes me feel old; my local classic rock station now regularly plays 90s rock, which was new during my preteen & teenage years).

I've been gaming for a few years longer, and I'd have to mostly agree.  The biggest transition in gaming was going from 2D to 3D.  The gameplay is extremely different.  Although I'd have to also say that all of the odd numbered generations have bigger changes than the even numbered ones, so I can see why someone might use a different cut off point.

Gen 1 - Gaming was created.
Gen 3 - Console gaming was revived from the dead.
Gen 5 - 3D, Disks and memory cards
Gen 7 - Mainsteam internet on consoles, HD, and Nintendo stops competing directly (e.g. motion controls)

Gen 2 was also a big leap, since it was the first generation to separate hardware from software, but generations 4, 6, and 8 are really just improvements on the previous generation.

Around the Network

I'e learned that I like to think about playing old games a lot more than I enjoy actually playing them. But, since this is a forum, thinking and talking is all we do. So, this will work for me.

Shadow1980 said:
Personally, I define "retro gaming" as anything before Gen 5, which was when gaming effectively and almost completely shifted from 2D to 3D. Of course, I was born in 1980, and the PS1 & N64 weren't released until I was in high school, so I grew up with 2D being the norm. Younger generations will probably have different conceptions of what constitutes "retro," as will people that use a "Anything older than x years" metric (which I don't use because it makes me feel old; my local classic rock station now regularly plays 90s rock, which was new during my preteen & teenage years).

I was born in 1980 as well, and share these thoughts almost exactly.  

Conejo said:

We should find a way to organise the discussions so the thread doesn't get too jumbled. Or have 'daily topics' we do. (Like the giant Nintendo & Sony threads) 

Hmm, maybe we can do that.

Chazore said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Naw

The stage geometry and textures, even at the highest setting do not come close to modern offerings in the same genre, the game has aged , would take some heavy nostalgia googles to maintain this game looks in the same leagues as something like Bioshock infinite from a few years ago or the likes of

Unless you mean those modern games... running on the base model X1/PS4 or the Switch, then maybe... but still stage geometry and lighting has advanced a long way in the last decade.

It's a shame textures and some shadows haven't after all these years.

My experience with Wolf 2 on Uber settings with a 1080ti at 1440p:

Dear Jesus... my eyes.

That wood texture looks like it's right outta something on the N64 with it's gouraud shading , but you know what I mean with level geometry though, just in terms of area's having a basically shit everywhere, rather than big empty rooms with set pieces of cover the pipe filled corridors are a more real life reflection of what rooms are really like rather than again... each room just being a corridor only slightly bigger.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

VGPolyglot said:

Computer gaming - While all gaming units are technically computers, in our circles it generally has a much more limited usage. Home computers which were designed as either business-devices or multipurpose platforms also ended up having titles released onto their platform. Examples: Apple II, IBM-compatible PCs, ZX Spectrum

I'm hoping it's just an honest mistake that you haven't put two most popular gaming computers prior to rise of PCs in 90s, C64 and Amiga, as an example.