By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which generations should be included

5th gen and down 11 36.67%

6th gen and down 14 46.67%

7th gen and down 5 16.67%

Total:30
CaptainExplosion said:
Anybody here like Metal Slug? :)

Great games, my 11 year old find them out on MAME and played through all of them, he was enjoying them so much I had to take a shot and loved them as well.

Around the Network

While I grew up long enough ago to appreciate the massive shift that was the transition to 3D, I still think games after that can be retro. In the interest of respecting younger members, I think we should cap retro as being 10 years ago. This would mean that early Wii/360/PS3 games would be considered retro, and by the time 2020/21 rolls around, and the new generation starts, as the PS5/XB2 release, the entirety of the Wii library (minus some Just Dance games) will be turning 10. This would mean that kids that grew up with the Wii but moved on to the PS3/360, then the PS4/XBO/Switch, and then the PS5/XB2, will be able to reminisce here about their childhood. Then as the 2020s roll on and the PS3/360 library ages into a decade old, by that time the PS5/XB2 will be making games from that era look retro.

Whatever we do, it can't be based on being before one's birth, as many of us have been in gaming since the beginning, and it can't be based on a fixed generation, or this will become an old men's club pretty quickly. Not to mention, none of this takes portables into account, and I don't know about you, but literally everything on the original DS looks ancient now, and that was 7th gen. Would be pretty dumb if we couldn't mention DS games.

CaptainExplosion said:
Am I the only one who wishes F-Zero on the Super NES had two-player, AND twice as many cars? Why was it only single player?

I just wish they'd make a new F-Zero already. Probably not going to happen since they seem to prefer making racing games out of other existing franchises and Mario Kart is still very popular... but damn I'd like for them to make a new one since Sony refuses to make a new Wipeout. I think Nintendo could entice Sony to revive the futuristic racer if they did.

The music from the original Bubsy keeps popping up in my head.

CaptainExplosion said:
Raven722 said:

I just wish they'd make a new F-Zero already. Probably not going to happen since they seem to prefer making racing games out of other existing franchises and Mario Kart is still very popular... but damn I'd like for them to make a new one since Sony refuses to make a new Wipeout. I think Nintendo could entice Sony to revive the futuristic racer if they did.

The problem is Nintendo is too clueless in regards to F-Zero. If done right, and with a badass marketing campaign, an F-Zero game on Switch would be a huge hit! :D

This is why I'm against a Star Fox racer and am hoping that Retro studios rumor was false. Star Fox has several references in F-Zero and vice versa, so it could plausibly exist in the same universe as F-Zero, so if you wanted a Star Fox racer you could just include the Star Fox team as characters and maybe make a branch of the campaign/story mode focus on them entering the race to earn money when they fall on hard times or something. To actually make a Star Fox racing game would just be another nail in F-Zero's coffin. I can already hear their bullshit now: "You already have 200cc and anti-gravity in Mario Kart and a futuristic Star Fox racer, what more do you want?" I want a proper Star Fox game and an F-Zero reboot, Nintendo!

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
CaptainExplosion said:

The problem is Nintendo is too clueless in regards to F-Zero. If done right, and with a badass marketing campaign, an F-Zero game on Switch would be a huge hit! :D

This is why I'm against a Star Fox racer and am hoping that Retro studios rumor was false. Star Fox has several references in F-Zero and vice versa, so it could plausibly exist in the same universe as F-Zero, so if you wanted a Star Fox racer you could just include the Star Fox team as characters and maybe make a branch of the campaign/story mode focus on them entering the race to earn money when they fall on hard times or something. To actually make a Star Fox racing game would just be another nail in F-Zero's coffin. I can already hear their bullshit now: "You already have 200cc and anti-gravity in Mario Kart and a futuristic Star Fox racer, what more do you want?" I want a proper Star Fox game and an F-Zero reboot, Nintendo!

Retro Studio's talents would be incredibly wasted on a Star Fox racing game. These people made the Metroid Prime series, some of the best games ever made, and continued the Donkey Kong Country series with games that are, arguably of course, just as good as the ones Rare made back in its prime.

I sometimes dream about the days of playing Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop in the arcade. Lately I've got the old SEGA MegaDrive working along with the Gameboy Pocket. I cleaned out the inside of the MegaDrive games. I still need to replace batteries in some gameboy advance games and gameboy colour games. I really like getting this stuff working again.

Raven722 said:

Retro Studio's talents would be incredibly wasted on a Star Fox racing game. These people made the Metroid Prime series, some of the best games ever made, and continued the Donkey Kong Country series with games that are, arguably of course, just as good as the ones Rare made back in its prime.

Absolutely. If they want to try their hands at a racing game, I could maybe see them doing F-Zero, but if they're going to do a Star Fox spin-off game, I'd rather see them turn Star Fox into Nintendo's Mass Effect. They have the talent and vision to do a lot better than a Star Fox racer.

CaptainExplosion said:
Raven722 said:

Who knows what other classic Nintendo franchise Retro could revitalize? ^^

Battalion Wars would be a nice fit imo.

I started playing The Twin Snakes on the GameCube, and like the PS1 version better so far. I actually prefer the PS1 graphics.