By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro Gaming Hub

Which generations should be included

5th gen and down 11 36.67%

6th gen and down 14 46.67%

7th gen and down 5 16.67%

Total:30

Welcome everyone to the Retro Gaming Hub!! This doesn't have any mod approval so it is not an official thread, but since the TC of the official thread has left the site, I'm going to try to go where he left off! This thread will centre around discussion of video games up until the 6th generation! We can discuss our memories, our playthroughs, our collection, maybe even possible news! In any case, I hope y'all will enjoy the ride!

The types of retro games

In terms of retro gaming, I think we can split it into these 4 categories:

1. Arcade gaming - The origins of commercially-available video gaming as a whole, these are those titles with the cabinets that you would see at a local venue and input your coins into! Examples: Neo-Geo MVS, CPS-1, Sega Model 1
  2. Console gaming - This is probably what most people will think of when it comes to retro gaming. Video game consoles are systems that plug into a screen and whose main purpose is to specifically play video games. Examples: Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, PlayStation
  3. Handheld gaming - Similar to home consoles in that they are specifically designed for gaming, however they also have the added bonus of being portable, usually at the cost of less horsepower. Examples: MicroVision, Game Boy, Game Gear
  4. Computer gaming - While all gaming units are technically computers, in our circles it generally has a much more limited usage. Home computers which were designed as either business-devices or multipurpose platforms also ended up having titles released onto their platform. Examples: Apple II, IBM-compatible PCs, ZX Spectrum
Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 05 July 2018

Around the Network

I'm all on board with this.

A significant amount of my gaming time is retro gaming these days, so I look forward to this topic developing and hopefully discovering some games I've missed out on.

drbunnig said:
A significant amount of my gaming time is retro gaming these days, so I look forward to this topic developing and hopefully discovering some games I've missed out on.

Same here. Well, it's been that way for the last 15 years for me already, but of course it's just getting more retro.

PS1 gaming is the best.

Around the Network

*uck game ageists

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:

*uck game ageists

what is a game ageists?

nevermind.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 05 July 2018

i’ve been playing a lot of retro (style) games recently. this year i’ve beaten:

Bloodstained: Circle of the Moon
Dandara
Donkey Kong (arcade)
Mega Man 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Mighty No 9

potato_hamster said:
I was just told yesterday on this very sitre that gaming using a TV instead of a VR headset is now considered "retro gaming" because VR gaming is now the standard.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that I don't really want this thread to get clogged up with that debate when that debate is already on-going in another thread.