By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which generations should be included

5th gen and down 11 36.67%

6th gen and down 14 46.67%

7th gen and down 5 16.67%

Total:30
CladInShadows said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I was just a teenager when it was 6th gen.

Still have fond memories of Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros. Melee. ^^

Yeah, I was 19 or something when the PS2 came out.  I'd lived through the 8 and 16 bit eras, and to me, they're REALLY what I think of when I think of retro.  The switch to 3D kind of becomes the line I use, with some blurring.  And I understand that many people not much younger than me also grew up on the N64/PS1 era of gaming. For me, 6th gen is a bit of a stretch.  But then again, there was a definite shift in games from the 6th gen to the 7th gen, in terms of what types of games big publishers started focusing on, so I don't have a problem with it.  7th Gen, though.  No amount of convincing will make me think any part of that generation was retro.  

Anyways, I personally don't think we need to worry about restricting ourselves in this thread. If someone wants to talk about 6th Gen games, I say let them. Maybe the discussion around why something should or shouldn't be considered retro will be fun anyways.  Nothing wrong with sparking more friendly discussion. 

And what about indie games?  In my mind, Shovel Knight, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, and other similar games deserve to be in this thread as well. They're not ACTUALLY retro, but they're definitely channeling it.

I was born in 1998, so when the PS2 came out in March of 2000 I wasn't even 2 years old yet. That being said, my first console actually was a Sega Genesis, which I had for a bit until getting a PS1 in late 2002, and I didn't get a PS2 until 2005.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

The Sierra Network. :)

Well shit, that brings back memories, haha!  I grew up in a tiny tiny town in rural Newfoundland, so we didn't have internet until 1997 or something, but I remember reading all about The Sierra Network in the official Sierra magazine.

CaptainExplosion said:
CladInShadows said:

Well shit, that brings back memories, haha!  I grew up in a tiny tiny town in rural Newfoundland, so we didn't have internet until 1997 or something, but I remember reading all about The Sierra Network in the official Sierra magazine.

I didn't play any online games at that time, but I loved Diddy Kong Racing and then Banjo-Kazooie. ^^

In 1997, I was actually all in with PCs, and kind of skipped consoles.  I never owned a PS1 until I had a backwards compatible PS2, and never owned an N64 until 2006 or so.  N64 feels like that lost Nintendo console that I just really never got into aside from a small handful of games.  

CladInShadows said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I was just a teenager when it was 6th gen.

Still have fond memories of Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros. Melee. ^^

Yeah, I was 19 or something when the PS2 came out.  I'd lived through the 8 and 16 bit eras, and to me, they're REALLY what I think of when I think of retro.  The switch to 3D kind of becomes the line I use, with some blurring.  And I understand that many people not much younger than me also grew up on the N64/PS1 era of gaming. For me, 6th gen is a bit of a stretch.  But then again, there was a definite shift in games from the 6th gen to the 7th gen, in terms of what types of games big publishers started focusing on, so I don't have a problem with it.  7th Gen, though.  No amount of convincing will make me think any part of that generation was retro.  

Anyways, I personally don't think we need to worry about restricting ourselves in this thread. If someone wants to talk about 6th Gen games, I say let them. Maybe the discussion around why something should or shouldn't be considered retro will be fun anyways.  Nothing wrong with sparking more friendly discussion. 

And what about indie games?  In my mind, Shovel Knight, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, and other similar games deserve to be in this thread as well. They're not ACTUALLY retro, but they're definitely channeling it.

The transition to 3D is the major change in gaming IMO, like the transition to sound movies.

Ganoncrotch said:
m0ney said:

Maybe because it looks like a modern game more than 10 years after its release.

Naw

The stage geometry and textures, even at the highest setting do not come close to modern offerings in the same genre, the game has aged , would take some heavy nostalgia googles to maintain this game looks in the same leagues as something like Bioshock infinite from a few years ago or the likes of

Unless you mean those modern games... running on the base model X1/PS4 or the Switch, then maybe... but still stage geometry and lighting has advanced a long way in the last decade.

It's a shame textures and some shadows haven't after all these years.

My experience with Wolf 2 on Uber settings with a 1080ti at 1440p:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I didn't play any online games at that time, but I loved Diddy Kong Racing and then Banjo-Kazooie. ^^

In 1997, I was actually all in with PCs, and kind of skipped consoles.  I never owned a PS1 until I had a backwards compatible PS2, and never owned an N64 until 2006 or so.  N64 feels like that lost Nintendo console that I just really never got into aside from a small handful of games.  

Almost exactly the same for me.

I started gaming with both the NES and an i286 PC, but quickly transitioned more and more to the PC. 1992-2004 I was almost exclusively PC gaming apart from the Master system at my mom's place (my parents were divorced and I lived with my dad but visited my mom every other weekend). In 2004 I really needed an upgrade as Master System games became almost impossible to find even on flea markets, so I convinced my mom to buy a 99€ silver Gamecube with Mario Kart: Double Dash (best Mario Kart ever btw imo). I brought it and my TV set to the trade school (we had our rooms rented for 9 weeks straight at a nearby hostel), where a colleague sold me his SNES with 40 games (among them Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Doom, Terranigma... not bad for 40 bucks ;) just Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart were missing) for 40€. Then a couple month later I helped a friend move out of her old home at the university, and she gave me her old PSONE as a thank you gift. Of course, if you get 3 consoles in as many months, you're bound to get back into console gaming, and a couple years later my mom's second husband gifted me with his N64 and PS2 because he couldn't find games for him on modern consoles anymore (he loved 2D Jump& Runs, which really got rare at that era)

And so, with all those donations, I got back into console gaming, though PC will forever be my main platform.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
CladInShadows said:

Almost exactly the same for me.

I started gaming with both the NES and an i286 PC, but quickly transitioned more and more to the PC. 1992-2004 I was almost exclusively PC gaming apart from the Master system at my mom's place (my parents were divorced and I lived with my dad but visited my mom every other weekend). In 2004 I really needed an upgrade as Master System games became almost impossible to find even on flea markets, so I convinced my mom to buy a 99€ silver Gamecube with Mario Kart: Double Dash (best Mario Kart ever btw imo). I brought it and my TV set to the trade school (we had our rooms rented for 9 weeks straight at a nearby hostel), where a colleague sold me his SNES with 40 games (among them Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Doom, Terranigma... not bad for 40 bucks ;) just Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart were missing) for 40€. Then a couple month later I helped a friend move out of her old home at the university, and she gave me her old PSONE as a thank you gift. Of course, if you get 3 consoles in as many months, you're bound to get back into console gaming, and a couple years later my mom's second husband gifted me with his N64 and PS2 because he couldn't find games for him on modern consoles anymore (he loved 2D Jump& Runs, which really got rare at that era)

And so, with all those donations, I got back into console gaming, though PC will forever be my main platform.

I was different, in that me and virtually all of my friends were console gamers, with PC gaming really not being something that we thought about or delved into. There were very few exceptions; the only PC games I can remember playing really were titles like Kid Pix, Millie's Math House, Spider-Man (2000), Max Payne and Stronghold. My mom had Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation and Tomb Raider Chronicles, while my step-dad had Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter and Age of Mythologies, but that was about it.

VGPolyglot said:
Proxy-Pie said:
I've been thinking about picking up an old project of mine. The idea is to "modernize" a GBA SP, and by that I mean a custom shell, a larger battery, stereo speakers, and a Micro USB/USB C charging port instead of the old proprietary one. Maybe even a headphone jack.

The project fell through because the broken AGS-101 Gameboy I bought from eBay was lost during shipping (and my 45$ along with it ).

You never contacted eBay to ask for a refund?

I did, got turned down :|

Proxy-Pie said:
VGPolyglot said:

You never contacted eBay to ask for a refund?

I did, got turned down :|

Well, that's a shame. Hopefully you will be able to accomplish that goal one day though!! I have an AGS-101, but to be honest I would like to have something similar to what you're doing, specifically because games like a Wario game require the cartridge to be upright, along with its form factor and the headphone jack.

Something like this:

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 06 July 2018

@Proxy-Pie maybe this is even better!!