By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Third party Switch ports don't necessarily need to sell as much as PS4 to be successful

Mnementh said:
zorg1000 said:

Skylanders is actually on hiatus, this will be the 2nd year in a row with no new title after being a yearly release from 2011-2016. The Toys to Life market has crashed with Skylanders, Disney Infinity & Lego Dimensions all gone at the moment.

The devs behind Skylanders (Vicarious Visions/Toys for Bob) are actually the ones that made the Crash/Spyro remasters and since these remasters are/will be multimillion sellers, i think these devs might get assigned to making new entries in the Crash/Spyro franchises.

Hmm, interesting if they actually revive Crash. I'm not sure if it is revival for Spyro, as he was around somehow, but probably as a game IP it is revival too. Let's see how that works out.

Ya Spyro was associated with Skylanders but i mean a revival of his main series.

I think it would be a good investment to use the remaster engines for new entries, the sales of N Sane Trilogy shows there is a market for Crash and im assuming Spyro Reignited will sell a few million as well.

I think it would be a big missed opportunity not to make new entries.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Mnementh said:

Hmm, interesting if they actually revive Crash. I'm not sure if it is revival for Spyro, as he was around somehow, but probably as a game IP it is revival too. Let's see how that works out.

Ya Spyro was associated with Skylanders but i mean a revival of his main series.

I think it would be a good investment to use the remaster engines for new entries, the sales of N Sane Trilogy shows there is a market for Crash and im assuming Spyro Reignited will sell a few million as well.

If that really is the plan, that I have to amend my statement, because in that case the Crash trilogy does matter. Maybe this plan was hatched after the success of the remasters? In any case: releasing on Switch and Xbox as well helps a lot to reestablish these IPs.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

zorg1000 said:
Mnementh said:

Don't mean to but in but I think spyro being in skylanders will lend to the success of the remasters. My son saw the trailer for the games and immediately got excited. Spyro is the main skylander he uses 

Mnementh said:
zorg1000 said:

If that really is the plan, that I have to amend my statement, because in that case the Crash trilogy does matter. Maybe this plan was hatched after the success of the remasters? In any case: releasing on Switch and Xbox as well helps a lot to reestablish these IPs.

Im not sure if that is the strategy but it makes sense now that Skylanders is on hiatus and here is the software output of Activision (excluding Blizzard) for the last 2 years

Crash N Sane Trilogy

Destiny 2

Call of Duty: WWII

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Destiny 2: Forsaken

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

It seems like Crash/Spyro could be a key killer going forward.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Mnementh said:

Im not sure if that is the strategy but it makes sense now that Skylanders is on hiatus and here is the software output of Activision (excluding Blizzard) for the last 2 years

Crash N Sane Trilogy

Destiny 2

Call of Duty: WWII

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Destiny 2: Forsaken

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

It seems like Crash/Spyro could be a key killer going forward.

I like good remaster collections, so I hope both find success for all plats.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

People don't seem to understand. Games on a platform don't just have to make money, they have to make enough money that the resources needed to port them is considered to be worth it. If the resources could be spent elsewhere to generate more revenue, then that's a better investment, and that's what third parties will do with their multi-platform games.