By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Third party Switch ports don't necessarily need to sell as much as PS4 to be successful

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

You basically answered yourself.

The genres where Switch won (and have even won against PS4 version for 1 or 2 games if I'm not wrong) are ones that would likely be that from start.

But considering most AAA games aren't platforms and japanese games then if all games were available in Switch, X1 would sell more than they.

Most AAA games aren't shooters and sport games either (I disdain Sports games in any case, so I seldomly count them as AAA). We have only Skyrim on all three platforms for open world RPGs and no action game on all three. And Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom hearts (japanese games) aren't AAA?

And would you tell me with a straight face that WRPG and Action game would be more sucessful on Switch than X1? I said most not all, so FF and KH certainly are AAA, I don't follow much of DQ but I think they are AA.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Most AAA games aren't shooters and sport games either (I disdain Sports games in any case, so I seldomly count them as AAA). We have only Skyrim on all three platforms for open world RPGs and no action game on all three. And Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom hearts (japanese games) aren't AAA?

And would you tell me with a straight face that WRPG and Action game would be more sucessful on Switch than X1? I said most not all, so FF and KH certainly are AAA, I don't follow much of DQ but I think they are AA.

Dunno how that works for WRPG and Action. We haven't data for that. We can only talk about what is available on multiplat.

I never followed which qualifies with how many As. Game is game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Dunno how that works for WRPG and Action. We haven't data for that. We can only talk about what is available on multiplat.

We can see 7th gen...

WRPG and Action games have a good show on Xbox, JRPG and Platforms don't. Opposite for Switch. Same for Shooters and sports games. We could already see this trend last gen. So unless we have contrary evidence Wii serves to show that 3rd parties will more likely sell more on Xbox than Nintendo.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

We can see 7th gen...

WRPG and Action games have a good show on Xbox, JRPG and Platforms don't. Opposite for Switch. Same for Shooters and sports games. We could already see this trend last gen. So unless we have contrary evidence Wii serves to show that 3rd parties will more likely sell more on Xbox than Nintendo.

Well, and current evidence show they sell on the same level. It's clear unreleased games don't sell, but we can't just assume things about them.

And we can't go after WiiU either, it hadn't WRPGs either for that point. It also has different sales curves. Rayman Legends has nearly double the sales over the same timeframe on Switch compared to WiiU. Most games ported from WiiU do significantly better. Extrapolate from WiiU and think they do the same seems not right.

Well, you have your opinions, your theories. But you can't state them as given, as long as you lack data to support your stance. I for one am very excited to see how the multiplat titles releasing over this year will do on their respective platforms to get a better picture.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

We can see 7th gen...

Well, and current evidence show they sell on the same level. It's clear unreleased games don't sell, but we can't just assume things about them.

And we can't go after WiiU either, it hadn't WRPGs either for that point. It also has different sales curves. Rayman Legends has nearly double the sales over the same timeframe on Switch compared to WiiU. Most games ported from WiiU do significantly better. Extrapolate from WiiU and think they do the same seems not right.

Well, you have your opinions, your theories. But you can't state them as given, as long as you lack data to support your stance. I for one am very excited to see how the multiplat titles releasing over this year will do on their respective platforms to get a better picture.

I said Wii not WiiU.

I'm going after data as well, with much more data points than 30 games. We do know of genres that will do better and worse on Switch against X1, and until it shows opposite there is no reason to assume they wrong.

Around the Network
Marach said:
curl-6 said:

How much it sells versus other platforms ultimately doesn't matter as long as it's profitable. If a game sells 5 million on PS4 and 1 million on Switch, but the Switch port makes money, then it is successful.

And devs are human, they make mistakes. Surely you're not suggesting video game developers have never made a bad decision?

but is it really fair to expect a game to sell 5 millions units on switch and 5 millions units on PS4 when there is 18 million switchs out there, and 80 million PS4 ?

Plus the fact that most big third party ports are almost always late on Nintendo consoles even switch. The ones that are on time like Indies almost always sell better on the switch even with a smaller install base. The only thing close to a fair comparison is fifa and that port wasn't very good for the switch at the beginning plus it went out of stock in Europe where it sells which means EA made so little copies of the version to begin with and something happened that rarely happens with games and that's a stock shortage. And FIFA is popular in Europe which is Sony land so selling more than PS4 version would've been nothing short of the biggest miracle in recent gaming history

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Unless I'm missing something but this gen 3rd parties have generally sold better on Switch anyway, or at the least the attach ratio has generally been better than the PS4, anyway it's how the 3rd parties feel and if it's positive then it's all good

Rab said:
Unless I'm missing something but this gen 3rd parties have generally sold better on Switch anyway, or at the least the attach ratio has generally been better than the PS4, anyway it's how the 3rd parties feel and if it's positive then it's all good

Attach ratios are generally better for smaller userbase because there are more dedicated owners.

Alot of people in here are talking about profit but another factor i think publishers want to see is growth.

For example, Bethesda may be pleased with Doom selling 300-500k on Switch as its a 1.5 year old port but lets say Doom: Eternal releases on Switch the same day as the other platforms, would they still be happy with those sales or would they be expecting it to sell ~1 million?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The problem is making the switch game takes resources that could have been used to develop the next ps4/one game.
Let's imagine:
A) 1 year of full workload of your team to create a ps4/one/pc game. Sells 5 million across the platforms.
B) 6 months of full team working on switch port, sells 1 million.
3 years of game production, the can: make 2 games, for all platforms(including switch port) , and sell 12 million...
Ou they can make 3 games in the same time (no switch port) and sell 15 million.
The second option is more profitable.

Anyway, I'm not saying that is like that, only that it is not that simple.

I think the solution would be Nintendo open some studios like panic button and offer to port the games to switch, with barely any effort from original team, to not occupy resources.
Do that at least for the key games.