By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pokemon Let’s Go VS Super Smash Ultimate - Which will sell more?

Well, considering there's a Pokemon game every other year and there hasn't been a Smash on a widely popular platform since Brawl ten years ago...

I'm gonna say Smash. But it's still going to be close, and I could really be wrong.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Smash is my guess. It looks amazing. While Pokemon Go will sell well I don't think it will attract the casuals in a big way. $300 plus a $60 game just to play Pokemon Go doesn't seem like something the "casual" would do.And then with a true mainline entry coming next year I think it will hurt sales for Go as well. So I am thinking, hoping AND wanting Smash to sell more lol.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

I agree with the people saying that Smash will sell more lifetime, mainly because it will have longer legs, while Let's Go's long term sales will be affected by the next Pokémon game. Also, not sure if they will really attract a good bunch of the Pokemon Go players with Let's Go. However, Pokemon will most probably sell more this year.

People downplay this Pokemon because it's obviously meant to appeal to the casual, but it will probably be a very big player. This Smash looks like a 12+million seller for sure, as the Switch is at full momentum and Ultimate isn't splitting sales between a console and a handheld. Smash 4 outsold Brawl between the 2 systems, so I could see Ultimate beating Brawl as well and selling 13-16 million, more if the Switch doesn't lose momentum anytime soon and sells Wii levels, and if Ultimate serves to unite the fanbase while attracting new casuals.

Pokemon is a bit of a wild card. The 3DS mainline games sold 15-16 million, but this isn't looked at as a mainline game. Even the 3rd version games never sold below 6 million with Crystal, though. So it might sell in between there. Maybe it'll sell close to 15 million as well, like Yellow, since it too has mascot Pokemon that travel with you. Or maybe it'll sell like a Stadium game and sell 2.5-6 million. Since it's kind of a retelling of 1st gen, and kind of a remake, I think it might sell around what the sequel game, Black2/White2, did, and sell around 8-10 million. But I could see it doing Yellow numbers as well if it really draws in a lot of Pokemon Goers. If it sells less than the remakes, like a sequel, it'll get 8-10 and Smash has it in the bag. If it sells better than the remakes, closer to Yellow, it'll be close, probably 13-15, but I think Smash might just pull out ahead.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Smash, because I hate Pokémon Let's Go.

Ultrashroomz said:
The idea of Pokemon Let's Go selling more than Smash makes me lose some faith in humanity...

I'm hoping Smash sells more, with Let's Go not selling as much as it would do in normal circumstances, due to the next main game coming out next year.

TheBlackNaruto said:
Smash is my guess. It looks amazing. While Pokemon Go will sell well I don't think it will attract the casuals in a big way. $300 plus a $60 game just to play Pokemon Go doesn't seem like something the "casual" would do.And then with a true mainline entry coming next year I think it will hurt sales for Go as well. So I am thinking, hoping AND wanting Smash to sell more lol.

Jeez, it's like some people are scared of Pokemon Let's Go as if its a bad thing that it sells haha. I know of some adults who are interested in Pokemon Let's Go, including one of my friends who's an avid Pokemon Go player. I don't know where the sales of Let's Go will lean towards, but its something to keep an eye on. Besides the catching mechanic, which I personally don't mind, and a few other things, I don't see how its THAT much different from the usual mainline Pokemon formula. And Game Freak and the Pokemon Company have said that Gen 8 is not gonna stick with the Go formula so every hardcore Pokemon fan can calm down. If you're not willing to give the games a chance, that's fine. It doesn't mean the game is going to be bad or anything. We're acting like its Metroid Prime Federation Force or something.

abronn627 said:
Hard to say, but I think we will be surprised by Pokemon.
I see too many users looking at Let’s Go like a spin-off and not as a remake just because the catching mechanic is simplified and the unnecessary grinding aspect of wild battles has been removed, but the core aspect is still there. It’s closer to a remake than a spin-off.
Just looking at VGChartz, spin-off usually sells between 5-6 millions while the lowest remake is at 10 millions, the latter is the minimum I expect. Add the effect the Switch has on their First Party franchises and we can look at Let’s Go and Smash to both becomes the best seller of their respective series.

I agree with the bolded. From what I've seen in the Treehouse, its still Pokemon to me.

I think its funny people are disregarding Pokemon Let's Go just because of a few changed mechanics, including the catching mechanic,  and Smash Bros. Ultimate just because it doesn't LOOK like a completely new game. I think, like Super Mario 3D World, we will see more stuff that will show that these games are more than what they are right now.

I think this will be an interesting race. Pokemon is still Pokemon (for the most part) and there is potential for Go players to buy the console and games. Just to note, Pokemon Go's active player base is the highest it's ever been since the summer launch in 2016. Is it due to the recent improvements to the game? The announcement of the new Let's Go games? Who knows, but its something to keep an eye on. Plus, it's releasing in November so it can be a big game to promote for both Black Friday and Christmas in December.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-27-pokemon-go-player-count-at-highest-since-2016-summer-launch

As for Smash Bros. Ultimate, it's marketed as a culmination event. For the first time ever, everyone from all the Smash entries are back, all in one game. You now have Snake, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Cloud, Mega Man, Sonic, Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Pikachu, Inklings, etc. in one game. While Smash 4 had the honor of having most of them due to DLC, it'll be interesting to see how Ultimate will fare now that Smash is on a more popular console and will have all the fan favorites back. Plus, if you know Sakurai, there's always surprises ahead. It's releasing in early December, just in time for the Christmas season. And with the recent changes to the gameplay mechanics to make the game faster and interesting than Smash 4, who knows how much the Smash competitive community will embrace the new game. Both Melee and Smash 4 players or mostly Smash 4 players again?

Around the Network

If y'all saying Smash will sell more in 2018 you are delusional af lmao.
Pokemon having 3 more weeks + Black Friday, there is just no way.

Kai_Mao said:

TheBlackNaruto said:

Jeez, it's like some people are scared of Pokemon Let's Go as if its a bad thing that it sells haha. I know of some adults who are interested in Pokemon Let's Go, including one of my friends who's an avid Pokemon Go player. I don't know where the sales of Let's Go will lean towards, but its something to keep an eye on. Besides the catching mechanic, which I personally don't mind, and a few other things, I don't see how its THAT much different from the usual mainline Pokemon formula. And Game Freak and the Pokemon Company have said that Gen 8 is not gonna stick with the Go formula so every hardcore Pokemon fan can calm down. If you're not willing to give the games a chance, that's fine. It doesn't mean the game is going to be bad or anything. We're acting like its Metroid Prime Federation Force or something.

Not scared at all lol. I am not saying I want let's go to fail or something by any means. I just think Smash will sell better. And I also know some Pokemon Go players that are interested in Let's Go but are not very keen about again spending $300 on the Switch plus another $60 for the game. I think Let's GO is going to sell well.....just not as well as Smash. Especially with the mainline game coming next year. Now of course I could be wrong about that. I just want the mainline game next year to do for me what Pokemon Colosseum failed at. Keeping my fingers crossed! 

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

I expect Smash Ultimate to surpass 20 million lifetime. Idk about Pokémon....

mZuzek said:
xMetroid said:
If y'all saying Smash will sell more in 2018 you are delusional af lmao.
Pokemon having 3 more weeks + Black Friday, there is just no way.

Being delusional is what makes us VGC users.

(edit: speaking for everyone else because I wasn't delusional enough to say that)

No but i was just shocked at everyone saying that. Yes pokemon lets go isn't what people are waiting fore but still... first pokemon in HD with 7 weeks + black friday against a 4 week smash.. i mean it could happen of course but pokemon would need to be a catastrophe.

Maybe it could happen in the US but Japan will just push pokemon way too hard for smash to win WW imo.

Smash in both. It is easily one of Nintendos biggest franchise as of late. Bigger games are bundled or not full price (usually both). And the last 2 smash have had things holding it back a bit. Brawl was on Wii and while Wii was hugely "successful" it wasn't a game for Wii-fit moms, more of a hardcore game, even so it was the most sold game on the console after wii-fit and Mario Kart which was bundled. But i think it would still have sold better (again i do not count bundled games for obvious reasons). And 4 was on a dead platform (Wii U) also came for 3DS which split the communities and because it was on 3DS (and wii U to some extent) it was heavily pirated. Even so it did best on the platform except Mario Kart.

Now its Pokemon so its still not a small order (except lifetime since we all know it will do better lifetime). But i still think it might come out ahead this year, because some Pokemon fans are not interested. And i think the hardcore who still gets this will only get 1 version. Instead of 2 they usually get which inflate pokemon sales a lot.