By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should acquire Insomniac

GribbleGrunger said:
Every time I see one of these topics I get the impression people think either Sony or MS can buy whatever company they want even if that company doesn't want to be bought.

I'm sure everyone thinks of those questions as hypothetical situations. You're right. In reality, most of these studios aren't up for sale.

Around the Network

Why acquire a studio that already is making exclusive content for your platform? What Sony needs to do is to make sure Insomniac are happy and funded for Ratchet and Clank 2 and Spider-Man 2.

Oculus should acquire Insomniac. Edge of Nowhere and The Unspoken were great additions to the Rift-portfolio. Stormland also looks awesome.

PS4 gets more than enough good games from other developers anyways.

Last edited by Conina - on 16 June 2018

LordLichtenstein said:
Why acquire a studio that already is making exclusive content for your platform? What Sony needs to do is to make sure Insomniac are happy and funded for Ratchet and Clank 2 and Spider-Man 2.

Because they made some exclusives for other platforms like sunset overdrive and VR games for vive? 

MasterThief said:
LethalP said:

Yeah that's true, Naughty Dog, Guerilla and Sucker Punch were acquired. But they built their house on PlayStation.. then again so did Insomniac. I just think at this point a developer on the level of Insomniac are better off independent. Their current model works for them, even if they do most of their shit with Sony. They still have the option to do a Sunset Overdrive, a Fuse or whatever the fuck.

sunset sold poorly on xbox microsoft didn't want to make a second one

fuse was a mediocre game. 

also to reply to the first reply. nobody really builds big studios from scratch anymore that takes too long and game industry lacks talent now because a lot are leaving to other industries 

The IP is in the hands technically they could even make sunset 2 an exclusive for Switch/PS4/vive whatever.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Honestly, it's avalanche studios that should be looked at for an aquisition. They have a cadence of 3 projects at a time. Any first party studios could do with that kind of output. Though, looking at the output of Sony's first party studios and seeing how they have moved to projects that are much longer than 2 years, Sony really should expand their studios. As i mentioned, i'd pick avalanche over Insomniac. Not every studio needs to make a 10/10 4-5 year project. 2 year average to good projects are also important to keep the scheduale busy and avalanche would be perfect for that. 3 games the quality of Rage 2/Just cause every 2 years is significant.

They were already acquired by another company 

It would be nice to see Sony owning Insomniac, but if they don't want to be bought it's understandable. It's very good to see a developer who wants to remain independent, especially Insomniac, who has a really damn good track record with the Ratchet & Clank games. They are doing so well right now, so a huge company like EA, for example, could permanently damage the homeostasis they've been on for years now.

Qwark said:
Insomniac does not want to be bought and especially not by Sony. Because they surely have tried in the past.

You are right. They did try to get them in the PS1 days but Insomniacs declined the offer. They want to stay independent

BraLoD said:
Insomniac + From Software + Bluepoint + Quantic Dream.
Dem games

A man can dream 

twintail said:
If Insomniac gets bought it will definitely be Sony who does it.
But Insomniac has no desire to be bought so it won't happen.

How would you know any of that?