Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should acquire Insomniac

LethalP said:
MasterThief said:

well as far as I know these three got closed for no reason 

For no reason? Just randomly?

randomly? lets not be funny here

they probably closed them because they were financially struggling back in the day tho for the last one cambridge they were doing great two years ago idk why they closed them 

Around the Network

Every time I see one of these topics I get the impression people think either Sony or MS can buy whatever company they want even if that company doesn't want to be bought.

The PS5 Exists. 

No need to aquire Insomniac. Sony already treats them like first party, but they have the freedom to work on stuff like Oculus Rift, Xbox, PC, and Smartphones, which widens their skill set, and helps deliver even better games and knowlegde for PlayStation.

It would be nice if Sony would start to through some Projects oppertunities at smaller devs for stuff like ModNation Racers, PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal 2, Sports Champions 3, and Buzz Quiz TV. They usually start delivering fun family games like that by this point in the generation, but it is severly lacking on PS4. I would like to see them fill this gap, give smaller devs an oppertunity, and potentially bring them in if they find the next Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, or Guerrilla Games.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Most of Insomniac' games - exclusives. They don't have any reason to be independent. They don't have succesfull multiplatform franchise.

MasterThief said:
LethalP said:

For no reason? Just randomly?

randomly? lets not be funny here

they probably closed them because they were financially struggling back in the day tho for the last one cambridge they were doing great two years ago idk why they closed them 

It was actually strange to me why some of those were closed. Liverpool I understand, they only made Wipeout and those games don't sell well despite being really good. But some of the others obviously had issues we don't know about, because Sony don't want less games, they want as much good stuff as possible.

Around the Network

Hmm. It would be smart since both would benefit from it. Sony should double down on making exclusives.

GribbleGrunger said:
Every time I see one of these topics I get the impression people think either Sony or MS can buy whatever company they want even if that company doesn't want to be bought.

I'm sure everyone thinks of those questions as hypothetical situations. You're right. In reality, most of these studios aren't up for sale.

Why acquire a studio that already is making exclusive content for your platform? What Sony needs to do is to make sure Insomniac are happy and funded for Ratchet and Clank 2 and Spider-Man 2.

CGI-Quality said:
MasterThief said:

icognito got closed while making an 85 meta game warhawk as a final title

and Guerrila cambridge was the most headscratching closure ever along with liverpool. they made very cool unique stuff that was never a dud 

he has a point

Incognito got closed under those conditions? Where can I read about that? Also, why was Cambridge closed? And if he has a point, this would have happened with all of their closed studios. Since I already proved that wasn't the case, it's something that can easily be argued. And Liverpool also wasn't pulling their weight, but if they were dropped after one dud, I'm going to need to see where and with what project.

Basically, I don't recall any of their studios being closed after one dud. 

Slightly off-topic, and I don't have a bone in this particular argument you guys are having.

But the mention of Studio Liverpool has reminded me that I'm still very salty about their being shuttered. All of their flagship releases were high quality (the PSP WipEouts were both excellent, WipEout HD was the PS3's best PSN title for most of its life, Fury was also acclaimed though I personally didn't think much to it, and WipEout 2048 was arguably the Vita's best launch title).

I can't help but think it was because they committed to Vita's launch and so their fate ended up being sealed by the hardware's shit sales in the west. Not so much Studio Liverpool not pulling their weight there as the Vita and Sony.

Studio Liverpool wasn't even given the chance to make an original PS4 WipEout (which could've been fucking amazing; what a missed opportunity!), to see if the franchise could still make money on a healthy platform.

As if to rub salt in the wound, a few years later Sony revives Studio Liverpool's flagship franchise with Omega Collection. Which, don't get me wrong, I was pleased to see and it was one of the games I bought a PS4 for, but Studio Liverpool could've produced it themselves as a means of seeing them through to a PS4 entry (like a less extreme version of Team Ico, with the Ico Collection seeing them over until The Last Guardian could finally be released).

*sigh*

Last edited by Machina - on 16 June 2018

Machina said:
CGI-Quality said:

- snip

Slightly off-topic, and I don't have a bone in this particular argument you guys are having.

But the mention of Studio Liverpool has reminded me that I'm still very salty about their being shuttered. All of their flagship releases were high quality (the PSP WipEouts were both excellent, WipEout HD was the PS3's best PSN title for most of its life, Fury was also acclaimed though I personally didn't think much to it personally, and WipEout 2048 was arguably the Vita's best launch title).

I can't help but think it was because they committed to Vita's launch and so their fate ended up being sealed by the hardware's shit sales in the west. Not so much Studio Liverpool not pulling their weight there as the Vita and Sony.

Studio Liverpool wasn't even given the chance to make an original PS4 WipEout (which could've been fucking amazing; what a missed opportunity!), to see if the franchise could still make money on a healthy platform.

As if to rub salt in the wound, a few years later Sony revives Studio Liverpool's flagship franchise with Omega Collection. Which, don't get me wrong, I was pleased to see and it was one of the games I bought a PS4 for, but Studio Liverpool could've produced it themselves as a means of seeing them through to a PS4 entry (like a less extreme version of Team Ico, with the Ico Collection seeing them over until The Last Guardian could finally be released).

*sigh*

Liverpool's shutdown was definitely a tough one for me. WipeOut was so great, among other things (like you mentioned). So, as a sidestep to the earlier debate, I agree. That one hurt.