By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should acquire Insomniac

I used to think Inso should stay indie because there is a chance they get acquired and then closed by Sony but. there is a good chance someone else acquires them because they are great studio and after spiderman they will get even more praise.

Sony should acquire them after spiderman and give them creative control. tho I don't think Ted Price wants to sell. 

I can absolutely see microsoft buying them or someone else like EA. since MS just bought a similarly sized studio 

insomniac is worth two studios imo

Around the Network

No, they shouldn't. They like being independent and are doing well. In the case of Ninja Theory for example, they were struggling and MS said that they would fund and publish their games under them so it made more sense. Insomniac may make more games for Sony than they do anyone else, but it's the fact that they have the freedom to do whatever else that drives them to keep being independent.

Sony, MS and Nintendo should really only build their own talent from now on. It only takes that one person with vision and talent, give them a studio and top tier artists, programmers and you've got something special. Look at Sony Santa Monica, David Jaffe and Cory Barlog had the vision for that studios games. All they needed from there was a good team.

Insomniac does not want to be bought and especially not by Sony. Because they surely have tried in the past.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

CGI-Quality said:
LethalP said:
No, they shouldn't. They like being independent and are doing well. In the case of Ninja Theory for example, they were struggling and MS said that they would fund and publish their games under them so it made more sense. Insomniac may make more games for Sony than they do anyone else, but it's the fact that they have the freedom to do whatever else that drives them to keep being independent.

Sony, MS and Nintendo should really only build their own talent from now on. It only takes that one person with vision and talent, give them a studio and top tier artists, programmers and you've got something special. Look at Sony Santa Monica, David Jaffe and Cory Barlog had the vision for that studios games. All they needed from there was a good team.

Eh, talent can also be built through acquisition. I'm not saying that in regards to Insomniac, but overall. I agree that building your own studios is very effective, but through the proper training and care for the work, acquisitions can be as well (as Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch, among others, have all proven).

Yeah that's true, Naughty Dog, Guerilla and Sucker Punch were acquired. But they built their house on PlayStation.. then again so did Insomniac. I just think at this point a developer on the level of Insomniac are better off independent. Their current model works for them, even if they do most of their shit with Sony. They still have the option to do a Sunset Overdrive, a Fuse or whatever the fuck.

Pretty sure if Insomniac wanted to be buyout it would of happened back during the PS2 era.

Around the Network

Honestly, it's avalanche studios that should be looked at for an aquisition. They have a cadence of 3 projects at a time. Any first party studios could do with that kind of output. Though, looking at the output of Sony's first party studios and seeing how they have moved to projects that are much longer than 2 years, Sony really should expand their studios. As i mentioned, i'd pick avalanche over Insomniac. Not every studio needs to make a 10/10 4-5 year project. 2 year average to good projects are also important to keep the scheduale busy and avalanche would be perfect for that. 3 games the quality of Rage 2/Just cause every 2 years is significant.

Last edited by Nem - on 16 June 2018

LethalP said:
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, talent can also be built through acquisition. I'm not saying that in regards to Insomniac, but overall. I agree that building your own studios is very effective, but through the proper training and care for the work, acquisitions can be as well (as Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch, among others, have all proven).

Yeah that's true, Naughty Dog, Guerilla and Sucker Punch were acquired. But they built their house on PlayStation.. then again so did Insomniac. I just think at this point a developer on the level of Insomniac are better off independent. Their current model works for them, even if they do most of their shit with Sony. They still have the option to do a Sunset Overdrive, a Fuse or whatever the fuck.

sunset sold poorly on xbox microsoft didn't want to make a second one

fuse was a mediocre game. 

also to reply to the first reply. nobody really builds big studios from scratch anymore that takes too long and game industry lacks talent now because a lot are leaving to other industries 

I don't want Insomniac to shutter after just one misstep or dud, so no thanks.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I seem to remember this topic coming up several years ago and if memory serves, insomniac said they didn’t want to be bought. Could be wrong. I’ll try looking it up later.

flashfire926 said:
I don't want Insomniac to shutter after just one misstep or dud, so no thanks.

yeah I was the same too and maybe thats the right way

but I don't want inso to be bought by MS or a big publisher  especially as EA ubisoft and activision grow making 1bn+ a year