By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

Mr_No said:

It sucks. I don't know exactly why are they doing this, but I bet it has to do with them not wanting the console of their competitors being able to interact with the PSN. That's what I think. Is it petty? Yeah, but I personally don't mind that they've done that. Being on top of the market means they can afford to do controversial things like these, particularly when the opposite side was too adamant on doing this last generation, like shown here, here and here. Which begs the question... why they hell is Sony forced to comply now when they were shot down years ago by the competition? And I'm not making Microsoft a strawman now; I said Sony is being petty. But if Microsoft didn't agree back then to crossplay, why should Sony be obligated to do so now? I say only let PC and mobile use their accounts.

I'm also aware that crossplay isn't exactly the same as using the same account throughout platforms...

inb4 the articles get dismissed for x reasons.

Well said and on point. I fully agree 100%.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Mr_No said:

It sucks. I don't know exactly why are they doing this, but I bet it has to do with them not wanting the console of their competitors being able to interact with the PSN. That's what I think. Is it petty? Yeah, but I personally don't mind that they've done that. Being on top of the market means they can afford to do controversial things like these, particularly when the opposite side was too adamant on doing this last generation, like shown here, here and here. Which begs the question... why they hell is Sony forced to comply now when they were shot down years ago by the competition? And I'm not making Microsoft a strawman now; I said Sony is being petty. But if Microsoft didn't agree back then to crossplay, why should Sony be obligated to do so now? I say only let PC and mobile use their accounts.

I'm also aware that crossplay isn't exactly the same as using the same account throughout platforms...

inb4 the articles get dismis

But isn't this issue quite controversial?

Yeah, very, which is why I believe they can do this if they want. It's not like they're imposing some DRM on their console. It's been like this for years and for almost all games. I don't know why is it such a big issue right now.

Ha, I fucking KNEW that was old Max. Same abrasive arguments with zero substance. And of course he’s defending this.

Maxosaurus-rex said:
irstupid said:

How is this like discs? 

I'm downloading a game on my Switch. A game made by epic games. 

I'm signing into my epic account. 

No where in any of that is SONY involved at all.

UH huh, did you go on your Switch and download it from Epics store? 

I am just assuming, since don't have Fortnite. Not my type of game. I assume if I wanted it on my Switch, I would go onto the Eshop and download it there.

If I wanted it on my xbox, I woudl go onto the microsoft store and download it there. If I wanted it on my PC, I woudl go onto epics website or steam (idk) and download it there.

On PS4, I assume I log into psn and download it there.

What am I getting wrong? 

What does Epic store have to do with Sony at all? Is Fortnite a 1st part exlusive game that I don't know about that somehow is playable on the swithc, pc, mobile, xbox and ps4. Quite the unique exclusive if so.

Mandalore76 said:
Kerotan said:

Ps4 is dominating the market because it has the best games. If you want to play its lesser rivals over cross play then be my guest. 

You could pick reasons not to support their rivals if you wanted too. 

Nintendo: far weaker graphics and performance for games in general, much smaller library and far weaker online offering. 

Microsoft: extremely weak first party offering. Much smaller player base. 

Sony will continue to dominate sales whether this cross play thing turns off a few players or not. If anything they gain more then they lose because a lot of people will buy the ps4 to play with their friends.

Latest weekly sales on vgchartz

Ps4 225k

Xbox 75k

If anything the gap will only get bigger. 

You do realize that when a market leader starts making bone-headed decisions that piss off both current and potential customers, the impact gets felt when their market-share erodes in the following gen.  Having the arrogance to create bad faith with the consumer may not seem to be a big deal while they have a 2 to 1 install base now.  But, if they keep pulling stuff like this, it could definitely swing people's decisions console-wise when the install bases start over at 0.  Sony isn't immune to this.  They once lost 71 million users from one gen to the next.

Nintendo didn't suffer with Switch as a result of bone headed decisions with Wii u and3ds.

Sony jjust have to release a powerful ps5 for 399 and keep pumping out those top class exclusives aswell as the best 3rd party supportin the business. Also ps5 fully backward compatible with ps4 to get all the good will they need.

Non believe next genps5 outsells xbox by even more.

Around the Network

Why’s everyone so anxious to play with Sony players?

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1N-TTwYIJw

FentonCrackshell said:

It would be cool to be able to play with other people regardless of platform. I can't play with PS4 owners here now, my EG account was opened via Switch.

I do wonder though if I played using my EG account via PC or mobile, could I play with PS4 owners?

FentonCrackshell said:

This isn’t about people wanting to play with PS4 owners, people just want access to their Epic accounts that have been used on the PS4 version of Fortnite.

cycycychris said:
EricHiggin said:

I want Epic to act like adults and make a choice. Choose to be as pro consumer as possible, based on what the people deem as acceptable, or choose to go to the 'dark side'. They apparently chose the dark side. If you think that is a horrible decision, then start a campaign to boycott Fortnite, don't blame PS. If Fortnite is such a great and amazing game, there should be no reason why they couldn't tell PS to take a hike, and convince everyone who wants to play, to buy another platform. If your going to talk about numbers, what about the 80+ million people that own/play games on PS4. Have they all been screwed over? How many people potentially could be effected doesn't matter, its how many are actually effected.

I'll agree that if you start an account on another platform, and fire up that account on PS4, and it then locks the content of that account solely to PS4, that is a problem. That is something PS and Epic would need to address. Otherwise I see it as fair game.

You originally downplayed the effect to PS4 players and being anti-consumer with a policy like this saying they will be happy that Sony might trickle a little of that money to PS4 first party games, I debunked that by showing you that 40% of Switch owners have a PS4. Showing that you by blocking these accounts you are being very anti-consumer to a large percentage of your own crowd (might I remind you that is only Switch, when we count in Xbone and PC players that percent skyrockets). You can never make everyone happy, just look at how Nintendo fans can be so divided some times, but when 40% of switch players have the potential to be affected by this policy, then you have a problem. Don't just forget, Epic is just the first to try this out, there will be more. While maybe only 4 million people will be affect this time (hypothetical), next time its total of 6 million, then its 9 and soon you hurt the majority of the population after a few more big games try this.

And again, sorry this isn't an Epic problem, they have to follow these policies that Sony has set. They have investor to answer to, they can't just not port it to Switch or not port to PS4 due to a small policy they don't like. They have been very loud about there distate for Sony's policies and have requested them to change. This is Sony's fault.

Well to say that PS fans are PS fans, but would rather play Fortnite on Switch doesn't jive. Let's put it this way to make it super simple. If the problem becomes big enough, like the close to 10 million people effected by this so you say, as of right now, and likely to grow, then you can bet that PS will make their own Switch like hardware to solve that problem. PS would much rather have you playing on a PS device, than allow you to give that money to other companies. The more games that end up having this problem, and the more gamers effected by it, the higher the chance you will see a new PS Portable sooner than later.

However, PS does not offer console gaming on the go right now, so if you choose what Nin is offering, which is gaming on the go, then you have to abide by Nin's rules on their platform, and PS's rules on theirs. Nin isn't going to allow Mario on PS consoles even if all 80 million PS gamers bought Switch's and said we want Mario wherever and whenever we want, with the best graphics available. That's not Nin's problem. If you want Mario, get a Nin device. Period. This could lead to another Nin home console though.

Epic has investors to answer to, but PS doesn't? Who's investors are more important? Should we all just say screw PS and their investors and let the company crash and burn? We all know what happens when there isn't enough competition in the industry. Should we force people who invest in PS to also invest just as much in Nin and MS to make sure everything is always even so there is no reason for any brand to try and up it's game?

Its Epic's fault because they chose not to look ahead and plan for the future, or they simply didn't care and took what they could get from PS. If you buy a set of rims for your car, and then decide you want a different brand of car, but want to keep your cool rims, yet find out that when you go to add them onto the new car that it has a different bolt pattern and they won't fit, you don't go and blame the car company. If you do they will tell you to either go back to your old brand of car or buy another set of rims and tires that fit their car. Why do the car companies do this? To make you spend more money and to try to lock you into their ecosystem. This happens in all industries, everywhere, all the time.