By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

irstupid said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Again, the closest thing to it is the game discs t. Like you said, there's no precedent so I'm not sure why people would expect to be able to seamlessly transfer cross platform. The closest thing to it would all point not being able to 

How is this like discs? 

I'm downloading a game on my Switch. A game made by epic games. 

I'm signing into my epic account. 

No where in any of that is SONY involved at all.

UH huh, did you go on your Switch and download it from Epics store? 

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Again, the closest thing to it is the game discs t. Like you said, there's no precedent so I'm not sure why people would expect to be able to seamlessly transfer cross platform. The closest thing to it would all point not being able to 

You can seamlessly transfer your account between XONE and Switch. Even after linking your account to PSN, you can still use the same account on PC and iOS, and everything you unlocked or bought on PS4 will be there. 

And last gen you couldn't do that at all. Not because it was impossible. 

Maxosaurus-rex said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Uh, what? You’re either extremely confused as to what is going on, or are being deliberately ignorant about it in order to dismiss it.

Epic has an account system where your content can carry over to other platforms. If you’ve ever logged onto a PS4, you cant carry that content to Xbone or Switch. You can have purchased 100% of your content on PC, only logged onto PS4 once to show off cosmetics to a friend, and now you’re locked out if you want to use your account on Fortnite for the other consoles. Sony holding accounts hostage like that doesn’t really have any precedence or comparable situation that I know of.

Except you can already seamlessly transfer cross platform. 

In your weird disc analogy you’re talking about a situation where you can apparently stick your Xbone Fortnite disc into a switch and it works flawlessly.

Malt4zar said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

This WoW analogy is beyond ridiculous. You're signing on through Blizzard servers. Money is going to blizzard. Computers are not consoles. It's a false equivalency. Nothing else.

Fortnite is a game. Game discs are games. You're going through different servers. Consoles 

Isn't that what companies are trying to change on the console space? With this whole Cross-play thingy? 

Yes, his analogy doesn't work as well as it should, but it still completely valid.

Sony clearly (right now) is the only major console manufacturer working against this gol among consoles. People have the right to complain.

Again, the other two have everything to gain for it. Sony doesn't. Make it financially lucrative for them and they'll hop right on board. As it is, MS and Nintendo are asking Sony to rape their resources for free

LudicrousSpeed said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

In your weird disc analogy you’re talking about a situation where you can apparently stick your Xbone Fortnite disc into a switch and it works flawlessly.

If MS were to give Nintendo the drivers... 

Around the Network
Maxosaurus-rex said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Nope, it already works. I could download Fortnite to my Switch and use my Epic account from my Xbone. Technology is awesome.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Nope, it already works. I could download Fortnite to my Switch and use my Epic account from my Xbone. Technology is awesome.

Exactly. In the disc analogy MS would have given Nintendo the drivers and offered Sony them as well if Sony gives theirs to them

cycycychris said:
EricHiggin said:

I never said PS can do no wrong. I only said in this situation, its Epic who is the deciding factor at the core. Whether or not PS tried to use leverage to get Epic to do what they wanted is besides the point. If we're going to go outside of the core in terms of who does anti consumer things, we can talk about that for days pointing fingers at every console company. Just look at MS using what leverage they have to try and make PS look bad on social media. Its just business and marketing tactics.

It also depends on your anti consumer viewpoint and perspective. For all we know, PS is taking that Fortnite money and more, and pouring it into PS first party exclusives. The fact that those exclusives have been such high quality is no doubt partially due to the money invested into them. Is that anti consumer? Trying to give your customers the very best gaming experience when you play their games? 

PS doesn't exist to make everybody's gaming experience better, they exist to make their own customers experience better. Why do you think MS created the XB brand? What about XB Game Pass? Why would they do that in the first place, and also not open it up to PS or Nin gamers?

I'm confused how at the end of the day this is Epic fault. How is it Epic's fault that Sony has a policy that block third party accounts from being used on multiple platforms. What do you want them to do, break that rule and be sued into oblivion, or not port the game and lose out on tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars. Sony is the root of the issue for blocking these accounts from being used and its them being anti-consumer. While Fortnite money might help them put more money into there investors pockets, it doesn't change the fact that its anti-consumer to block your customers accounts.... I think you should know that according to the NPD, 40% of US Switch owners also own a PS4, Sony is potentially fucking over 8 or 9 million people right now. But they are doing For the Players I guess.

I want Epic to act like adults and make a choice. Choose to be as pro consumer as possible, based on what the people deem as acceptable, or choose to go to the 'dark side'. They apparently chose the dark side. If you think that is a horrible decision, then start a campaign to boycott Fortnite, don't blame PS. If Fortnite is such a great and amazing game, there should be no reason why they couldn't tell PS to take a hike, and convince everyone who wants to play, to buy another platform. If your going to talk about numbers, what about the 80+ million people that own/play games on PS4. Have they all been screwed over? How many people potentially could be effected doesn't matter, its how many are actually effected.

I'll agree that if you start an account on another platform, and fire up that account on PS4, and it then locks the content of that account solely to PS4, that is a problem. That is something PS and Epic would need to address. Otherwise I see it as fair game.

Maxosaurus-rex said:
RedKingXIII said:

You can seamlessly transfer your account between XONE and Switch. Even after linking your account to PSN, you can still use the same account on PC and iOS, and everything you unlocked or bought on PS4 will be there. 

And last gen you couldn't do that at all. Not because it was impossible. 

Yeah, and? You can transfer your content between XONE and Switch, but if you link your account to PSN you're basically locked on PS4 and you can't transfer any content anymore. This isn't something impossible for Sony. It's already happening. 

EricHiggin said:
cycycychris said:

I'm confused how at the end of the day this is Epic fault. How is it Epic's fault that Sony has a policy that block third party accounts from being used on multiple platforms. What do you want them to do, break that rule and be sued into oblivion, or not port the game and lose out on tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars. Sony is the root of the issue for blocking these accounts from being used and its them being anti-consumer. While Fortnite money might help them put more money into there investors pockets, it doesn't change the fact that its anti-consumer to block your customers accounts.... I think you should know that according to the NPD, 40% of US Switch owners also own a PS4, Sony is potentially fucking over 8 or 9 million people right now. But they are doing For the Players I guess.

I want Epic to act like adults and make a choice. Choose to be as pro consumer as possible, based on what the people deem as acceptable, or choose to go to the 'dark side'. They apparently chose the dark side. If you think that is a horrible decision, then start a campaign to boycott Fortnite, don't blame PS. If Fortnite is such a great and amazing game, there should be no reason why they couldn't tell PS to take a hike, and convince everyone who wants to play, to buy another platform. If your going to talk about numbers, what about the 80+ million people that own/play games on PS4. Have they all been screwed over? How many people potentially could be effected doesn't matter, it's how many are actually effected.

I'll agree that if you start an account on another platform, and fire up that account on PS4, and it then locks the content of that account solely to PS4, that is a problem. That is something PS and Epic would need to address. Otherwise I see it as fair game.

It doesn't let you sign into ps4 if you set it up with another platform