By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122

It's a compilation of Smash 4 ported with lots of added content and a few gameplay tweaks. Of those 3 options, I'd say it's a compilation.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
outlawauron said:

It's a port with new content (like DOA5: Last Round or Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3). When a fighting game gets released on new consoles, it would normally include all the DLC and some new bonus content to entice people. I saw nothing outside larger roster and stages that would imply it's a new game. If it an entirely new game, then they certainly cut a lot of corners as it looks exactly like the Wii U game.

They've changed the core mechanics of the fighting and I'd say that's more important than having a new look when talking about the game being new.

Is adding an air dash really changing the core mechanics of fighting?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

It's a port with new content (like DOA5: Last Round or Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3). When a fighting game gets released on new consoles, it would normally include all the DLC and some new bonus content to entice people. I saw nothing outside larger roster and stages that would imply it's a new game. If it an entirely new game, then they certainly cut a lot of corners as it looks exactly like the Wii U game.

They are using a different engine, and the physics  and movement have actually been altered upon closer inspection.

Not sure what to make of this then, more like Nintendo was cutting corners in different ways and reusing a lot of content.

Last edited by Moren - on 12 June 2018

It's a port like MK Deluxe was a port even though it had "new" stuff in it. Disgraceful.

morenoingrato said:
outlawauron said:

They are using a different engine, and the physics  and movement have actually been altered upon closer inspection.

Not sure what to make of this then, more like Nintendo was cutting corners in different ways and reusing a lot of content.

Where did you read that it's an entirely new engine?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
morenoingrato said:

Where did you read that it's an entirely new engine?

Whoops. My bad. I read a post saying it was made in Unreal Engine and then I saw Unreal Engine right after Smash, but turns out the Unreal Engine logo was for the entire conference, not for Smash only, so I take it back.

Can't find a credible source to back it up.

Last edited by Moren - on 12 June 2018

According to this:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/06/12/e3-2018-super-smash-bros-ultimate-is-an-entirely-new-game-bandai-namco-still-involved

...it's a new game.

Well...I certainly won't be able to win with Fox in Ultimate the same way I did back in Smash 4 :P

I don't think it really matters. Each iteration since Melee utilized assets from the previous game(s).

Watching the treehouse gameplay really helps to show how different the game is.

Peh said:
I can't believe that people are really arguing about that...

I can believe it we just recently had folk constantly saying nintendo is selling cardboard for 80 which anyone with comprehension skills would know is nonsense