By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122

My take on the matter is, simply calling it an 'enhanced port/expansion', or a 'new game' can both be misleading to people who are less familiar with what it actually is, or have certain expectations of what a new Smash traditionally is.

But between people who understand what the game is like, it doesn't matter how we label it. It is what it is.
And it is everything I could have hoped for!

I always said I wanted them to keep every character from Smash 4. But since they don't traditionally do that, I figured chances were slim to none, unless this was Smash 4 Deluxe. But it looks more like Smash 4 Deluxe Turbo Ultra Royal Edition+. It has pretty much everything I'd expect from a traditional new Smash game, minus the fact that they put less focus on new characters and stages, and it seems to use the same engine.
But since all my favorite characters were already in Smash 4, I don't have a problem with that whatsoever. (Zelda, Lucina, Rosalina, Palutena, Marth, Zero Samus, Cloud.)

I was mainly worried that Lucina wouldn't return because she's a clone character, and may get replaced for the next new relevant Fire Emblem character instead, and Cloud because he's (probably) an expensive license to renew for a new I.P. 

Also, Zelda got a complete makeover, and she looks awesome!

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 June 2018

Around the Network

It's a sequel, a new game. This is a fact.

1. A port is a copy of one game to another platform. That's not what this is. It's not a port.
2. A compilation is a collection - similar to Mega Man Collection, this is not what this game either.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Guys, this is not that hard. Not that difficult.

Calling this a new game or Smash 5 would be like calling Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 a new game or Marvel vs. Capcom 4. They changed a lot of the design, changed a few of the mechanics, and added some new characters, and you can't play them the same way you used too, but it's still an updated version of the same base game. I just appreciate the detail and effort they've put into the newest version of Smash 4. It's pretty much what I was hoping for.

Doesn't every Smash (and every Kart) reuse a bunch of old assets? This just seems like par for the course to me.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Doesn't every Smash (and every Kart) reuse a bunch of old assets? This just seems like par for the course to me.

Kart, not so much.  Smash?  Yes, absolutely yes.

It's very much a port. It just has minor changes to mechanics. Changes that could've easily been patched into the last game.

Which is fine by me. I don't want a new smash. Hope this is the last. What a sendoff.

Well, this is new.

Read.

A lot of sequels reuse assets and code from previous games. It doesn't make them ports unless it is the same game. Even though Fifa to Fifa is fairly similar, no one would consider sequels to be ports.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
A lot of sequels reuse assets and code from previous games. It doesn't make them ports unless it is the same game. Even though Fifa to Fifa is fairly similar, no one would consider sequels to be ports.

When people say the new Call of Duty, or the new Fifa, or the new Madden is just the same game every year, they don't say that in jest.

Not sure why you'd be using one of those games as an example of a sequel or new game.

Jumpin said:
It's a sequel, a new game. This is a fact.

1. A port is a copy of one game to another platform. That's not what this is. It's not a port.
2. A compilation is a collection - similar to Mega Man Collection, this is not what this game either.

Ignoring the 'fact' proclamation, I think enhanced port is a more proper distinction. When it comes to enhanced ports and expansions, the line between that and new game can often get more blurry.
The only reason port is part of the conversation is because Smash 4 was on a previous system. If this was released for WiiU, port wouldn't be in the conversation, but enhanced/expansion would be.

I'd say this is a very ambitious enhanced port/expansion, but at the same time it's also a new game for many of the same reasons.
I wouldn't really disagree with anyone's labeling as it's hard to define exactly what separates a brand new Smash from an expansion.
It does seem to be the first time they're not building a new engine for a new Smash game though, but rather building further on the Smash 4 game, which means that in spite of character and system tweeks, they still have to adhere to more of the same rules as their Smash 4 counterparts. When you design a brand new engine, as Smash traditionally has done up until now (seemingly), characters and objects can behave drastically different, which is why many Melee players still refuse to leave that game even if their favorite characters are in the new Smash games. Because their characters weigh differently, are more floaty, or slower, and the system mechanics are different, etc.

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 June 2018