By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122
VAMatt said:
Doesn't every Smash (and every Kart) reuse a bunch of old assets? This just seems like par for the course to me.

Kart, not so much.  Smash?  Yes, absolutely yes.

Around the Network

It's very much a port. It just has minor changes to mechanics. Changes that could've easily been patched into the last game.

Which is fine by me. I don't want a new smash. Hope this is the last. What a sendoff.

A lot of sequels reuse assets and code from previous games. It doesn't make them ports unless it is the same game. Even though Fifa to Fifa is fairly similar, no one would consider sequels to be ports.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
A lot of sequels reuse assets and code from previous games. It doesn't make them ports unless it is the same game. Even though Fifa to Fifa is fairly similar, no one would consider sequels to be ports.

When people say the new Call of Duty, or the new Fifa, or the new Madden is just the same game every year, they don't say that in jest.

Not sure why you'd be using one of those games as an example of a sequel or new game.

It's definitely not a new game, everyone saying that is lying to themselves. Ultimate to Smash Wii U is what Super Street Fighter II Turbo is to Street Fighter II. More of the same, with some new content and mechanics thrown in to keep things fresh.

Around the Network

I think its a game

The characters play differently. The graphics are upgraded. The content is greatly expanded. It's a new game.

outlawauron said:
TruckOSaurus said:

They've changed the core mechanics of the fighting and I'd say that's more important than having a new look when talking about the game being new.

Is adding an air dash really changing the core mechanics of fighting?

It's more than that. It's Dash Cancel, Auto rapid strikes, Ladder attacks, Dodge decay (this one is huge, in Smash 4 you could roll and dodge forever without penalty), short hop attacks shortcut (minor), changes to perfect shielding, more damage in 1 on 1 (will change the flow of battle toward faster matches). Some are more important than others but all together that makes for a very different game.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
It's not a straight port obviously, but certainly closer to an enhanced port than new game as of right now. I mean new game means just that, NEW. I'd say only 10% of the game is stuff we haven't played before. To call it a new game would be like calling MK8D a new game.

Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8: Deluxe play the same though. The karts handle the same way and if you already had the DLC the only new part is the battle mode.

Signature goes here!

This game doesn't really play like S4 at all watching the invitational it's faster and more aggressive compared S4's hard to kill approach.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Shiken said:
It seems like just as much a new game as any other Smash game. Those who call it a port simply want to believe it is for one reason or another. Some are just skeptical due to the vast amount of WiiU ports we have already received this year.
Why would I want it to be a port? I'd love to know this. Keep in mind I was on team new game prior to the reveal.

I was hoping you could tell me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261