By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122

It's not a straight port obviously, but certainly closer to an enhanced port than new game as of right now. I mean new game means just that, NEW. I'd say only 10% of the game is stuff we haven't played before. To call it a new game would be like calling MK8D a new game.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
It's not a straight port obviously, but certainly closer to an enhanced port than new game as of right now. I mean new game means just that, NEW. I'd say only 10% of the game is stuff we haven't played before. To call it a new game would be like calling MK8D a new game.

I think you saw the smash trailer for the old game instead. That's the only way your opinion makes sense.

It seems like just as much a new game as any other Smash game. Those who call it a port simply want to believe it is for one reason or another. Some are just skeptical due to the vast amount of WiiU ports we have already received this year.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

pikashoe said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

I think you saw the smash trailer for the old game instead. That's the only way your opinion makes sense.

Like everyone else I saw a presentation for 4 Smash games lumped into one.

Baddman said:
Peh said:
I can't believe that people are really arguing about that...

I can believe it we just recently had folk constantly saying nintendo is selling cardboard for 80 which anyone with comprehension skills would know is nonsense

And yet, a lot of people bought it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Shiken said:
It seems like just as much a new game as any other Smash game. Those who call it a port simply want to believe it is for one reason or another. Some are just skeptical due to the vast amount of WiiU ports we have already received this year.
Why would I want it to be a port? I'd love to know this. Keep in mind I was on team new game prior to the reveal.

It's a sequel, a new game. This is a fact.

1. A port is a copy of one game to another platform. That's not what this is. It's not a port.
2. A compilation is a collection - similar to Mega Man Collection, this is not what this game either.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Guys, this is not that hard. Not that difficult.

Calling this a new game or Smash 5 would be like calling Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 a new game or Marvel vs. Capcom 4. They changed a lot of the design, changed a few of the mechanics, and added some new characters, and you can't play them the same way you used too, but it's still an updated version of the same base game. I just appreciate the detail and effort they've put into the newest version of Smash 4. It's pretty much what I was hoping for.

Doesn't every Smash (and every Kart) reuse a bunch of old assets? This just seems like par for the course to me.