By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122

So I was in the Discord E3 chat when Nintendo went on and on about Smash and some people declared Smash Ultimate a port which I don't agree with at all. Many character models have changed, as well as animations and movesets and most importantly the game mechanics have changed (directional air-dodges, punishment for rolling too much, etc...) which means Ultimate will play very differently than Smash for Wii U.

Then I started asking myself if I would call it a brand new game and I couldn't really be 100% on board with that term. It seems more like a compilation, a big melting pot of all things Smash.

What's your take on all this? And does it matter?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Doesn’t matter, but it is a new game as much as any other smash game has been considered a new game.

Many times have new versions of fighters brought in new mechanics/costumes. Look at Street Fighter 4. We could say its like Mortal Kombat Ultimate.

Its a brand new game.people are just having a knee jerk reaction to it because it dosent look extremely diferent to the Wii U game(due to the Switch power) and because we havent seen everything the game has to offer.

Here is the proof:

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-smash-bros-ultimate-being-a-new-game-sakurais-health-online-more/

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

The Ultimate port

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Definitley seems like a new game to me

To me it is a new game, I think some are just hyperboling like they do every year.

It's a new game. People who think it is a port will learn it the hard way when they realize that they can't play it like SSB4.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

it feels like gaming companies are starting to establish their new games as platforms that can be expanded upon, rather than single installments in a series. I think this is the final Smash Bros game we will ever see and in the future the game will just be ported to new consoles and updated with new fighters as needed

Whats with the GC controller support every time? Its like the game is unplayable otherwise...