By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Brad Sams: Next Gen Xbox will arrive in 2020

CGI-Quality said:
DirtyP2002 said:

What kind of specs do you expect the next Xbox to have?

Xbox One released 8 years after the launch of the Xbox 360 and was about 6 - 8 times as powerful
Xbox One X released 4 years after the Xbox One and is much more powerful, especially the GPU (4 times faster) and the memory, which seemed to be the bottleneck.

What kind of consoles can we expect in three years?
Just a console that "only" doubles Xbox One X specs seems so unreal today.

12 Tflops GPU
24 GB DDR5 RAM
2.3 GHz 16 core CPU

• Not sure about that GPU. If we're just measuring in TF, 10 would be a safer bet (remember costs)
  • DDR5 would be a huge mistake. It'll be G5X at the minimum. 24GB of system RAM is unlikely as well, considering RAM costs. I'd wager 16
  • That CPU clock is pretty slow. I'd hope for at least 3000MHz. And I expect no more than 12 cores
So...
  • 10 teraflop GPU (this would put it just below a 1080Ti, which is a big deal)
  • 16GB G5X @ 1000MHz (speed is a big deal, here)
  • 12-Core CPU @ 3000MHz (speed, again, is a big deal)

And you'll still have yourself a masterfully crafted jump over the X1X. The amount of time that has passed matters less than the cost to craft. RAM costs, in particular, are through the roof right now. They will not be doubling unless you want to pay an arm, leg, torso, etc, etc...

Microsoft said next gen consoles at E3 so it's probably 2 consoles. If the specs you mentioned end up being the basic model I wonder how powerful the premium console would be.

Around the Network
numberwang said:

What would be the point of a new Xbox in 2020? The X is already quite powerful. Today we are more limited by creativity and development cost than hardware power.

The Xbox One X is using a Mid-Range GPU with a low-end CPU.
By the time 2020 rolls around, the Xbox One X's GPU will likely be in the lower-end of the performance spectrum.

7nm is going to allow nVidia and AMD to push up performance rather significantly.

dx11332sega said:
Seriously give Xbox One X atleast 4 years in 2021 . It almost feels like I havent completed 1 year still since it relesed in november 2017

As an Xbox One X owner, I have the opposite feeling. I want new hardware already so that the technology baseline for games is boosted... That has a flow-on effect to my platform of choice, the PC.

KazumaKiryu said:

Then it's official: The xbox one x has been totally pointless (i say one thing: Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima & The Last of Us 2 graphic) in my opinion

It's a great platform and not pointless.
Backwards compatibility has been great, the higher resolutions and framerates have also been good.
But... It's still an Xbox One, I think people forget that.

KazumaKiryu said:

The console only appeared because the PS4 (Pro) was sold so good, that was the true reason and phil spencer knows it -.-

False. Consoles take years of design and planning, the semi-custom chips also take significant design and planning as well.
Microsoft was thus working on the Xbox One X before the Playstation 4 Pro released.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
 Their e3 conference saw them acquire some good new talent, but it’s a question mark until we see the games they’re making.

I do not expect a massive uptick in their games output.

Undead Labs was already making Xbox games, Playground games was already making Xbox games, The Initiative is still untested as far as game quality goes, Compulsion Games hasn't released anything significant as far as I can remember... Ninja Theory is probably the biggest news piece of that announcement, but they tend to focus on smaller budget games, which is fine.

Either way, Microsoft is doing the right thing, I still want them to do more though.

DirtyP2002 said:

Just a console that "only" doubles Xbox One X specs seems so unreal today.

12 Tflops GPU
24 GB DDR5 RAM
2.3 GHz 16 core CPU

I think we should nip this in the butt early. But... 16 Cores isn't happening.
DDR5 isn't on the market yet either. (Yeah I know, you meant GDDR5, but that ain't happening either.)

I would expect 4-8 Ryzen cores, with maybe 6-cores being the sweet spot, but I also believe there will be some cost cutting, like a reduction/removal of L3 cache.

GDDR6 is likely where it will be at, it not only has increased bandwidth, but it also increased DRAM density for the same cost.

jason1637 said:

Microsoft said next gen consoles at E3 so it's probably 2 consoles. If the specs you mentioned end up being the basic model I wonder how powerful the premium console would be.

The Xbox 360 launched with two SKU's. The Pro and Core models. Could be a return to form?

My main wants are:
* Retain AA battery support. (I like to be able to swap out dead batteries easily, rather than be stuck to a cable when they go flat.)
* Use upgrade-able Hard Drives.  - External drives are fine, but look gangly... And does nothing to solve the slow spinning rust inside the console that impacts the OS responsiveness.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
numberwang said:

What would be the point of a new Xbox in 2020? The X is already quite powerful. Today we are more limited by creativity and development cost than hardware power.

By the time 2020 rolls around, the Xbox One X's GPU will likely be in the lower-end of the performance spectrum.7nm is going to allow nVidia and AMD to push up performance rather significantly.

You are thinking hardware first, but what's in it for the mainstream gamer who doesn't understand technology?

Last edited by numberwang - on 15 June 2018

numberwang said:
Pemalite said:

By the time 2020 rolls around, the Xbox One X's GPU will likely be in the lower-end of the performance spectrum.7nm is going to allow nVidia and AMD to push up performance rather significantly.

You are thinking hardware first, but what's in it for the mainstream gamer who doesn't understand technology?

I always think of hardware first.

But the main benefit for mainstream gamers is that... The baseline from the Xbox One/Playstation 4 will be increased rather significantly, which tend to be the targets for technology/game engines.
...Remember, just because the Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One X exist... The majority of console games are actually on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I think it should arrive by 2020-2021. 

Around the Network

Interested to see what they come up with for the next xbox. Just don't make it as big as the vcr xbox one was. Also make sure you got some good exclusives ready for it. Kameo 2 plz

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Also the memory market looks to be supporting strong increase in spec there,
possibly extending to SSD instead of hard drive, which may also be relevant to L3...
(collapsed general market is ideal for Sony/MS to negotiate best supply deal, 
enabling larger memory and/or higher CPU/GPU spec in given system budget)

https://www.techspot.com/news/76015-analysts-headed-flash-memory-price-crash.html

I don't really get the "but don't talk about hardware so much" when a new console gen is literally about HW.
If you don't care about HW, that's lovely, there is 1000s of other things to focus on if you prefer to,
but why then would you engage in discussions which revolve around HW?
It is simply impossible to escape implications of HW when discussing a new console gen, sorry to say.

Anyways, the topic is dicatated by HW suppliers (basically AMD and memory OEMs)
which look to be coinciding for meaningful advancement around 2020 time period.
Personally, I hope hardware checkerboarding support is retained even if the HW can
manage native 4K at higher quality than current gen, IMHO checker-4K is efficient enough
at delivering VERY near 4K quality (especially accounting for things like object ID masks etc)
that retaining it as option will be ideal especially for games targetting 60 fps etc.
Higher res VR at high FPS will also be significant design factor, although who knows
if either Sony/MS release new VR hardware simultaneous with new console gen release.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 17 August 2018

2020 is a reasonable date even though I would prefer next gen to be 2021

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."