By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Brad Sams: Next Gen Xbox will arrive in 2020

So nextgen starts 2020

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network

3 years is the ideal amount of time for a refresh for me, and this would be 3 years after XBO X. 7 years is more than long enough for the generation also, if they do indeed start a new generation rather than iterate.

I'd like to see each machine have a 6 year life of support, with a more powerful model released every 3 years.

What kind of specs do you expect the next Xbox to have?

Xbox One released 8 years after the launch of the Xbox 360 and was about 6 - 8 times as powerful
Xbox One X released 4 years after the Xbox One and is much more powerful, especially the GPU (4 times faster) and the memory, which seemed to be the bottleneck.

What kind of consoles can we expect in three years?
Just a console that "only" doubles Xbox One X specs seems so unreal today.

12 Tflops GPU
24 GB DDR5 RAM
2.3 GHz 16 core CPU

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

So I thought Xbox One X was supposed to be next gen? Like I had it in my mind that Xbox One X is the PS5 and the Xbox One S was the PS4 Pro. And the Xbox One was the base PS4. I guess between the next 2 to three years I'll have a better understanding but it definitely fits Microsoft's vision of eliminating generations. I mean it's just not fair that's your getting outsold 2 to 1 be your closest competition and the third competition Nintendo has every chance to pull a PS3 passing 360 move on Xbox One in general.

Mm-hmm hype is building up for the new Console Wars sequel.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

What kind of specs do you expect the next Xbox to have?

Xbox One released 8 years after the launch of the Xbox 360 and was about 6 - 8 times as powerful
Xbox One X released 4 years after the Xbox One and is much more powerful, especially the GPU (4 times faster) and the memory, which seemed to be the bottleneck.

What kind of consoles can we expect in three years?
Just a console that "only" doubles Xbox One X specs seems so unreal today.

12 Tflops GPU
24 GB DDR5 RAM
2.3 GHz 16 core CPU

Possibly something like this, except with a CPU of 8 cores and maybe less RAM.

On these days of slower improvements, the two pro / elite consoles sort of cornered the manufacturers in terms of what they could deliver (for reasonable prices) and yet impress the gamers and the media. I assume that's the reason they are coming with more than one device, a standard HD console and a 4K console, perhaps, to be compared with the respective model of consoles they are replacing. It is projected to be less 4K TVs on homes by 2020 than there were HD TVs back in 2005, so it's not an unreasonable approach.

CGI-Quality said:
numberwang said:

What would be the point of a new Xbox in 2020? The X is already quite powerful. Today we are more limited by creativity and development cost than hardware power.

That's like saying, "what's the point in new PC CPUs/GPUs. What we have is already quite powerful". The point is things get old and it's time to move on to better technology. 2020 is a very appropriate time for new console hardware, especially when the previous Xbox generation started in 2013.

PC power is for enthusiasts that love resolution and fps, but a mainstream normie will need more to buy a new console than slightly better looking images. We are living in a world of diminishing returns now for anything beyond 1080p.

So my question is, will the games developed for that device also work on the X or the One/S? This is getting confusing super fast.

deskpro2k3 said:
Mm-hmm hype is building up for the new Console Wars sequel.

The one where Sony/Microsoft keep making their hardware obsolete after 2-3 years when they come out with new ones, which leads to people going broke and not being able to afford their devices, which leads to an industry crash until Nintendo steps in to save the day?

Of course, all of this will be forgotten again in 20 years when two competitors to Nintendo arise just to start the cycle all over again (probably Apple and Amazon or Google at that point).

They got 5 new developers, why waste them on a gen that mostly over. If they come out the gate swinging when Scarlette (I believe it's codenamed) comes out, it only serves to help them. This IMO is Microsoft's best option.