By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Brad Sams: Next Gen Xbox will arrive in 2020

I think we'll see at least three models from or near launch. A "standard" model, of course, with all features people expect and at a reasonable price. Then an "X" model, that comes in at a few hundred dollars more. Microsoft loves the "plays best on Xbox" line and they're not going to give that up. Their premium model will be the most powerful console on the market no matter what, and will be presented as the flagship.

At the lowest price point, I think we'll see a "digital" box. No physical media device. Perhaps we'll even get a lot more "Cloud" hype and it will be streaming only--not sure about that part, though.

Honestly, I think Microsoft is in good shape. They are NOT going to fubar the launch this time. I can't even believe it happened last time, especially fielding a device that was effectively weaker than the PS4. If it happens again then I think we'd see some heads roll. The thing with Microsoft is that they understand that their consumer base doesn't really give a damn about all the stuff we talk about on forums or in the gaming media. They care about games like Madden, CoD, and blockbuster multiplayer titles. They really just need to keep that (massive) demographic happy and they'll be fine.

Last edited by pokoko - on 14 June 2018

Around the Network

Would MS partner with intel ?

intel planning to release gaming GPU in 2020.

CGI-Quality said:
LipeJJ said:

Out of curiosity: would it be a similar, smaller, or bigger gap than 7th to 8th gen? I know it's hard to speculate without the other specs, but you know what I mean. xD I think a proportionally similar gap would already be awesome.

Should be a similar one, if not bigger. And this doesn't even consider the possibility of more iterative consoles next gen.

What do you expect the next gen to deliver in terms of gaming that the X and Pro can not do today?

Do you expect another 8x or 16x jump in technology like we have seen with the last generations (example the amount of RAM used in Xbox-X360-Xbone)

DirtyP2002 said:
xl-klaudkil said:
When will mic learn its not about the powerfull hardware its the games you make on them.

So you want them to make weak hardware then? Would that improve Microsofts situation somehow?

I think they have been very vocal this E3 that they are really pushing their first party output. They bought 4 great studios and opened another one.
What else do you want them to do?

Imagine SlipSpace / Frostbite / Unreal engine on even more powerful hardware than the Xbox One X...

Maybe those studios should focus on exploiting the Xbox One X more to give the console more value.

LivingMetal said:
DirtyP2002 said:

So you want them to make weak hardware then? Would that improve Microsofts situation somehow?

I think they have been very vocal this E3 that they are really pushing their first party output. They bought 4 great studios and opened another one.
What else do you want them to do?

Imagine SlipSpace / Frostbite / Unreal engine on even more powerful hardware than the Xbox One X...

Maybe those studios should focus on exploiting the Xbox One X more to give the console more value.

Maybe they are?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Hm, i was wanting to buy a one x but maybe I'll hold off until next gen

numberwang said:

What would be the point of a new Xbox in 2020? The X is already quite powerful. Today we are more limited by creativity and development cost than hardware power.

With all that GPU power notice how there isn't an Xbox One X game that looks like GOW, Uncharted, Horizon etc? Both the Pro and X are just resolution updates, with X targeting native and Pro checkerboard/1440p, they're tied to their lowest common denominator (PS4/X1) and if X1X tried to operate as a stand alone next gen platform it would need to give up the resolution upgrade entirely and its CPU would leave it obsolete.

KazumaKiryu said:

Then it's official: The xbox one x has been totally pointless (i say one thing: Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima & The Last of Us 2 graphic) in my opinion, I understand the displeasure of most Xbox fans from the other site. The console only appeared because the PS4 (Pro) was sold so good, that was the true reason and phil spencer knows it -.-

edit. Microsoft should be more concerned with japanese games and big exclusives-jrpgs, rather than republishing new hardware again - I think. For me personally, the xbox is currently zero interesting (due to 3-4 reasons) - new hardware will not change that.

The X1 is simply a more accomplished version of the PS4 Pro (actually hitting native 4k on a decent basis), both systems are simply there to bring the current generation of games into 4k. Look at it no different from a New 3DS, PS3 slim or DS XL. This was obvious from the time the Pro hit and we saw how developers were using its extra GPU power. Mircosoft need a next gen platform just same way they couldn't keep selling the Xbox 360 for 15years... Regardless of what games you want 2021 is latest they could afford to release a next gen platform or they'd be left in the dust by Playstation 5.

CGI-Quality said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
I'm so ready. I wish Sony was doing the same thing because these old consoles need put to bed tech-wise. Hell, they should have been laid to rest THIS year, let alone two years from now.

Something tells me they are. Call it intuition.....

They are.  I am confident in PS5 releasing 2019 or 2020 depending on how much they want to push things.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

xl-klaudkil said:
When will mic learn its not about the powerfull hardware its the games you make on them.

It both.  You cannot make or do certain types games without the power.  

DirtyP2002 said:
LivingMetal said:

Maybe they are?

Better that than spiting the Xbox market.