By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Brad Sams: Next Gen Xbox will arrive in 2020

CGI-Quality said:
DirtyP2002 said:

What kind of specs do you expect the next Xbox to have?

Xbox One released 8 years after the launch of the Xbox 360 and was about 6 - 8 times as powerful
Xbox One X released 4 years after the Xbox One and is much more powerful, especially the GPU (4 times faster) and the memory, which seemed to be the bottleneck.

What kind of consoles can we expect in three years?
Just a console that "only" doubles Xbox One X specs seems so unreal today.

12 Tflops GPU
24 GB DDR5 RAM
2.3 GHz 16 core CPU

• Not sure about that GPU. If we're just measuring in TF, 10 would be a safer bet (remember costs)
  • DDR5 would be a huge mistake. It'll be G5X at the minimum. 24GB of system RAM is unlikely as well, considering RAM costs. I'd wager 16
  • That CPU clock is pretty slow. I'd hope for at least 3000MHz. And I expect no more than 12 cores
So...
  • 10 teraflop GPU (this would put it just below a 1080Ti, which is a big deal)
  • 16GB G5X @ 1000MHz (speed is a big deal, here)
  • 12-Core CPU @ 3000MHz (speed, again, is a big deal)

And you'll still have yourself a masterfully crafted jump over the X1X. The amount of time that has passed matters less than the cost to craft. RAM costs, in particular, are through the roof right now. They will not be doubling unless you want to pay an arm, leg, torso, etc, etc...

I was not trying to be accurate, I just took the Xbox One X specs * 2.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
numberwang said:

PC power is for enthusiasts that love resolution and fps, but a mainstream normie will need more to buy a new console than slightly better looking images. We are living in a world of diminishing returns now for anything beyond 1080p.

Diminishing returns is a loose term. Play something in 4K and then go back and play that very same thing in 1080p. The perceptive difference should be massive. Regardless, my point stands. As technology grows, so does the need to move on. Consoles are no different to PCs in that regard. Yes, better and more advanced games should be at the forefront, but that happens with technological jumps and that is why we still continue to see them with new machines.

You are thinking input-oriented, but most consumers are output-oriented, meaning what will this new thing deliver, how is it making the next GTA or Asscreed a better game.

CGI-Quality said:
numberwang said:

What would be the point of a new Xbox in 2020? The X is already quite powerful. Today we are more limited by creativity and development cost than hardware power.

That's like saying, "what's the point in new PC CPUs/GPUs. What we have is already quite powerful". The point is things get old and it's time to move on to better technology. 2020 is a very appropriate time for new console hardware, especially when the previous Xbox generation started in 2013.

That's what I start to ask myself each time I see a game being designed for a console and not the higher end hardware on a PC. Like yeah, resolutions and all that stuff for giggles, but that's not what it's all about.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

xl-klaudkil said:
When will mic learn its not about the powerfull hardware its the games you make on them.

Considering they just purchased 4 gaming developers and made 1 new one themselves, I would say they know its more than just hardware.

After selling all my consoles beside my switch what i regret after the E3 Direct, i will defenitly buy the next box. I hate the ps4 Controller, nintendos Kyoto HQ is on acid so the only Company left is MS for me. They are the cool dudes from the gaming industry. I like them.

Around the Network

I'm so ready. I wish Sony was doing the same thing because these old consoles need put to bed tech-wise. Hell, they should have been laid to rest THIS year, let alone two years from now.

wait til the GTX 11XX series drops and just pop Ryzen 5s in a box alongside a discounted 1080 or 1160s

Job done, will blow current machines out of the water and should be possible to create it relatively cheap (to the X1X) in 2020

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

AlfredoTurkey said:
I'm so ready. I wish Sony was doing the same thing because these old consoles need put to bed tech-wise. Hell, they should have been laid to rest THIS year, let alone two years from now.

It's unlikely that Sony would want to do anything right now in terms of announcements which could rock the boat which is selling close to a quarter million ps4 consoles every week worldwide.

Obviously their R&D departments will be working away on PS5 ideas and designs but nothing will be said that could stop any potential sale of their current system.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

CGI-Quality said:
Ganoncrotch said:
wait til the GTX 11XX series drops and just pop Ryzen 5s in a box alongside a discounted 1080 or 1160s

Job done, will blow current machines out of the water and should be possible to create it relatively cheap (to the X1X) in 2020

That will seriously depend on the price. Besides, by the time those drop, I imagine that the new consoles are already well into development. High-end Pascal-grade card equivalents are much more likely (which already blow current machines out of the water).

sorry that is what I meant, wait for the 11xx series of cards to launch... but then make use of the outgoing 10 series cards instead for use in the new consoles, agree with you that those would run circles around the "powerhouse" of the pro or X consoles.

I think that's a good timing. It's not quick and yet it doesn't drag this generation longer than it needs to.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won