By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What Is Happening To Gaming Forums?

Random_Matt said:
Why you felt the need to come out with anything is beyond me, which suggests you have a problem.

Mate, my dream was to be a writer. I studied and practiced for more than 35 years and whilst I eventually gave up, I learned a hell of a lot about narrative construction. There are many layers to writing, a lot of which aren't even visible to the reader, they're there for the writer. I see those because I did it for 35 years and many other people see it too. Many don't though.  

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Ok, for context I've just been banned from Resetera for a week.

Cliffbo, what were doing at Resetera to start with?

What ... what? Are you a E-mpire guy? 

The PS5 Exists. 

Nymeria said:

It depends on context. To me the two scenes show life for Ellie. In one she is having "normal" life hanging out with friends and attending a dance. We get insight into her relationships and her state of mind. Ellie went through hell in tLoU making her among the most hardened people in her world. Yet, she is still shy and unsure of her own sexuality. Where does she belong, kissing at a dance, or murdering in the field? In one she is awkward and uncomfortable coming of age, the other she is a seasoned veteran at ease with what is required.

I think if you watched that and found the kiss more provocative than the brutal execution it can be viewed as how our priorities as a culture in gaming are skewed.

Exactly, some people saw the kiss as agenda driven, but how come they didn't see the man getting his abdomen cut open as an agenda towards desensitising us from violence.

it WAS agenda driven and how i know that is that i knew 100% that they were going to pull something like that with the trailer
the minute i saw the girl start dancing with ellie i was like "AH HAH!"

"I feel as if intelligent conversation is being stifled and anyone with a different point of view"
get used to it... its only starting to ramp up and at some point you'll have to make a choice to give up you capacity think things through rationally or give in to the borg lmao

Kirin_gaming said:
Nymeria said:

It depends on context. To me the two scenes show life for Ellie. In one she is having "normal" life hanging out with friends and attending a dance. We get insight into her relationships and her state of mind. Ellie went through hell in tLoU making her among the most hardened people in her world. Yet, she is still shy and unsure of her own sexuality. Where does she belong, kissing at a dance, or murdering in the field? In one she is awkward and uncomfortable coming of age, the other she is a seasoned veteran at ease with what is required.

I think if you watched that and found the kiss more provocative than the brutal execution it can be viewed as how our priorities as a culture in gaming are skewed.

Exactly, some people saw the kiss as agenda driven, but how come they didn't see the man getting his abdomen cut open as an agenda towards desensitising us from violence.

that's a valid point

Around the Network
Hiku said: 

That subject aside, the fact that there are conspiracy theories about agendas EVERY SINGLE time there's focus on someone who doesn't check every box on the male/Caucasian/straight checklist is also very toxic behavior and tiring for people to read. 

I'm noticing this a lot too.  No matter what the intention of the writer are, you get people complaining about agendas being forced down their throats. People don't take things at face value anymore, and it's pretty frustrating to constantly see.

Spoiler alert: There isn't always an agenda.

The site overreacted but on the topic of your actual argument.... It feels like you're the one who is too overtly conscious of "agenda's" which is a natural component of almost any good narrative. I mean its pretty simple yet effective juxtaposition ND is doing in that showpiece. We played through the first game so Ellie and know her development, her stabbing a man in the neck isn't exactly a shock. The scene perfectly contrasts some tender young romance against the harsh realities we all knew and expected to perpetuate the game, whilst taken into account how Ellie (a young girl) is a dark horse. Asking the writers to be obviously to her gender, sexuality or pretend that she exists in some utopian bubble isn't going to help the narrative.

Ellie: "every guy in this room is staring at you right now"
GF: "Maybe they're staring at you"
Ellie: "Or not.."
GF: "Maybe they're jealous of you"
Ellie: "I'm just a girl, In not a threat"
GF: "Oh ellie... I think they should be terrified of you" (this is not new infomation)

Cuts to Ellie being exactly what we know her to be and proving the GF right.

I'm curious at what bothers you about it. What agenda driven point is it thats making you uncomfortable? And on the topic of Agenda's, do you think that Ellie would be gay if TLOU was made in 2004? A narrative and its characters being a zeitgeist of the time is not a bad thing, unless you think its inauthetic and pandering. If you feel that way about this scene, I imagine you hate all video game writing? Or more likely you're so heavily sensitised to gender politics to the point that any reference/inclusion of it ruins your enjoyment of a perfectly executed demo.

Could be agenda driven, maybe, or it's just being used to create extra hype. In terms of the story itself, if I understand it correctly, isn't Ellie the only known human being that is immune? Just think about it. Anyone who knew she had this would kill for the same peace of mind. Her having as many children as possible in a world like that would make way too much sense, but if she's a straight up lesbian...

I mean, people are who they are, but it's gotta make players feel to some degree that she's being extremely selfish if this turns out to be the case. Not giving up her life for humanity is one thing, but also deciding not to create immune life, well that's another.

If this is how the story played out in TLOU2, then you could almost argue it's an agenda against feminism considering doing the 'right thing' could be looked at as just as important, if not more important than doing whatever you want, given this scenario.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 12 June 2018

I don't understand how the kiss can be forced? People keep saying that but they never explain what they mean. What does it mean to be forced? If she kissed a guy, is it forced as well? Basically when you say something is forced, it means that it is done without permission or against someones will.

*resetera gif*

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile