By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game length vs. replay value

Do longer games typically have less replay value for you?

Yes 38 74.51%

No 13 25.49%

Total:51

I think I value replayability and pacing the most. Resident Evil 4 has perfect pacing, never drags, introduces new enemies, locations so even if it clocks at about 15 hours, I'd replay it anytime. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is a great game but it has big pacing issues that keep me from revisiting it too often. In fact, I have started a new game and stopped at the Triforce Fetch Quest on two seperate occassions because I couldn't be bothered with it again.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Aeolus451 said:

I define replayability as replaying the game after you beat it like new game plus or choosing different story arcs or even playing it like it has no ending like cod.

I actually haven't done many New Game+ runs, mainly because they're often associated with games that take a very long time to complete, and I don't think I have many games with multiple story arcs or endings. Now, a game like Chrono Trigger (which I really need to get around to finishing) seems like the kind of longer game that I would want to replay semi-regularly, since most of those old-school 16-bit JRPGs are paced in a way that makes them feel like I'm always making real progress and not simply repeating a series of repetitive paint-by-numbers objectives that exist purely to pad the experience, which would make me more likely to want to seek out CT's multiple endings. Final Fantasy IV usually takes me quite a while to beat, but the game is so consistently enjoyable beginning to end that I replay it far more often that other games of that scale, though even then I don't replay it nearly as often as other SNES games like Super Mario World or Super Metroid (again because of the time investment needed to beat it).

As for CoD, I'm assuming you're talking about multiplayer. Well, my focus was on single-player games, but MP is (usually) designed to be heavily replayable. That's because each match is a self-contained bite-sized chunk of gameplay, not a massive 40+ hour experience in and of itself. I can play a couple of matches of Halo or I can play a dozen. However much until I'm played out for the day. MP doesn't require a huge time investment because it has no real end goal like SP does, but you can invest a good chunk of time into it if you so choose. The time investment is merely an accumulation of time spent in matches lasting maybe 5-15 minutes each.

To each their own then.  I've always liked lengthy games especially rpgs but I don't really replay many games unless they have different story arcs. Chrono Trigger is my kind of game though. Yeah, I was talking about mp with cod. 

Yes, there are very few long games that I will play over and over. I'll normally not want to return to completely play through an RPG for example even if I really enjoyed it, but some of my favourite games can be completed pretty quickly and I enjoy playing back through to try different things or even just to replay exactly what I did the first time. I'd gladly play money for a game that hooks me even if it doesn't take very long to complete.

Replay value and length are not at all connected for me. If a game is good enough, or at least has a good enough story that warrants multiple play throughs, I’ll replay regardless of length. At the same time, a game being very short doesn’t really make it any more enticing for me to replay, it has to be worth a replay. The Order took me 5 1/2 hours to platinum and I never touched it again because regardless of how short it was I found the gameplay dull and the story lacking any need or reward for another play through. Compare that to something like Bioshock Infinite, I found the gameplay solid, but I probably beat that game four times just because of the story. It isn’t a very long game either.

I don’t see a point in comparing today’s games to what you found acceptable in the 80’s and 90’s. Technology was different back then. Just because you were ok with paying $80 for a 3 hour game back then doesn’t mean you should be happy with anything more than that by default. People used to be happy about traveling via horse carriage and watching black and white television.

d21lewis said:
Thinking back, almost all of my favorite games are games that I can replay over and over and beat in a couple of days. Certain longer games, I often think "That's enough. You made your point. Please let me get to the credits!"

Agreed.

The average game has a relatively small number of many unique mechanics. A campaign is often a variation of those mechanics with some flourishes that make some scenes unique. I may be generalizing but that's essentially what most games feels like.

A game really doesn't need much more than 6 - 10 hours to tell a compelling story with a good campaign. Even then there will be a lot of repetition. So how long a game is definitely considered when I'm choosing a game to play. Many games I've decided to not play due to length, mostly JRPGs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I value the experience, be it length good game or one I keep coming back to play. But nowadays I'm more playing once and moving on.
Also I don't like open world and the chore some games become.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Replay is nothing to do with game length, it's about what there is to do in the game. Different routes of the story, what there is to unlock, how gameplay can change based on how you play the game.

My most played games this gen.
DA:I - I had my main character plus 5 others, differing builds, differing choices, differing difficulties. etc.
Bloodborne - Same, different builds.
Tekken 7 - Because it's Tekken.
CoD:BO3 - MP replayability, lots of unlock and playing with friends.
Diablo 3 - Grind to get plat... got plat, probably won't ever go back.

I'm currently playing Persona 5, I'm many many hours in and no idea of an end in sight but not sure how/if I'll play it again straight after, the story is a seemingly set one (as expected with JRPGs) which means I won't go straight back into it to play again, with those I break for a bit.

Hmm, pie.