By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game length vs. replay value

Do longer games typically have less replay value for you?

Yes 38 74.51%

No 13 25.49%

Total:51

I value longer games. I don't care for replaying the game, the only game I hardcore replayed a shit ton of was Super Mario Bros on the Wii, it was one of those games that was just fun to play over and over again.
But generally, for a single player game I want it to play it once and move. But I don't want to be getting a new one every week to fulfill my gaming addiction. I'm still playing Farcry 5 a month after buying it, It took me 3 months to beat Ghost Recon Wildlands, same goes for AC: Origins. That was also whilst playing other multiplayer games that take up majority of my time.
All 3 Wolfenstein titles from Bethesda took me a week to beat, and never play again. Not very sustainable, but I give those games special priviledge because I love Bethesda, and killing Nazi's.

Basically I won't ever replay a game, not even Telltale titles. I just want the game to be long upfront. 40+ hours is my go to if I buy a single player title at launch. But if I'm stuck between two games launching at the same time, I will go by that simple metric and then wait for reviews by real players. Most players want the upfront value, not replay value. Why waste time replaying a game when you can move on to the next big thing.

Around the Network

Games like Bayonetta, Batman Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Gears 1-3, Tomb Raider and RotTR. There are easily amongst my absolute favorite titles. I replay them all of the time and they never get old. They don't really have much "busy work". Every second seems like progress. It's not uncommon for me to stop playing the latest and greatest games to jump back into one of these franchises. 

Each one I feel is long enough to play through in a weekend but still leave me feeling really satisfied. I never regret firing them up again. In fact, I pre-ordered Detroit but I'm more excited about my replay of Arkham City that I'm currently in the middle of.

It's video game comfort food!

ARamdomGamer said:
It all depends on pacing for me, regardless of lenght if a game keeps a great pace mechanics and story wise (if the game is story driven) , then I don't have issue replaying them.

This is a good post. Maybe it's the pacing that I enjoy more than anything. If a game can keep you engaged and never feels like it's wasting time , it's easy to love it!

d21lewis said:
Thinking back, almost all of my favorite games are games that I can replay over and over and beat in a couple of days. Certain longer games, I often think "That's enough. You made your point. Please let me get to the credits!"

Thats how I feel about the Witcher 3 right now. I feel like i've been playing it forever.

I like all sorts of games.  Game length really has to do with the origin of video games which are the arcades and home computers, and I like both kinds of games. Arcade games tended to be short and challenging, and they were designed so that you could play them over and over again and still enjoy them.  The big early computer games were often adventure games or RPGs, which are a lot longer and are really meant to only be played through once. 

Personally, I like arcade games and I like PC games.  But modern console gaming really favors PC origins overall, which is why so many games are long but don't have much replay value.  Nintendo seems different from a lot of modern game developers, because Nintendo got its start in the arcade.  So even today some of their biggest games are things like Mario Kart and Smash Bros which would be perfectly at home in an arcade.  But it would be nice if more companies made games like these quick games with lots of replay value.

Around the Network
Farsala said: 
I don't replay games often. In fact I don't rewatch shows often, or rewatch movies. I don't like to redo anything often. Music has a few replays, but even that will get boring. One reason I hate watching regular tv is because the same ads play every freaking time, and they often play reruns. It got so bad that when I was watching the NFL frequently, I would bring a book to read during the ad breaks. 

Only games that I find truly exceptional will get multiple playthroughs. And it doesn't matter if they are short or long. Luckily I know what games I like so I can almost always choose a long and enjoyable game rather than a short and enjoyable game. 

Take for example Bioshock (5 hour campaign?), Halo 2 (10 hour campaign?), and FFX (40-60 hour story?). 
-In my top 50 games of all time Bioshock is #29. Great fun and worth a few replays, ultimately did not have enough depth to be higher in my list and might fade a bit if more games surpass it in the years to come. 
-Halo 2 is #7, I was obsessed with this game's campaign and multiplayer. 100s of hours in the campaign alone even beating it on legendary, and 100s more in multiplayer. 
-FFX is #2. I can replay this game anytime without getting bored. In fact whether I replay it often or take a long hiatus from playing doesn't matter. Because if I take longer breaks the next playthrough is all the sweeter. 

For games outside my top 50 they usually get one playthrough. So compare Ratchet and Clank with FF Type 0 HD Both pretty fun, but I probably won't replay either anytime soon, FF Type 0 HD was more worthwhile due to length.

Where can I see your list? Looks interesting.

I dont mind short games aslong as i have a reason to go back to it. Aslong as there not extremely short. Id say replay value > Game length.
Honestly anyone can make a long game, they just fill up the game with unnecessary fat where as replay value giving the player to go back and collect things they miss etc is far more exciting than spending 5 to 10 hours on a game just traveling to point A to B.

A factor that seems to be missed here is that older games are more difficult and had no, or very limited save options. This means that even if you can beat them in an hour or two you probably spent a lot more time the first time you play them.

Someone said earlier in this thread that they can beat punch out in 25 min. I’ll bet that was not the case the first time he beat the game.

omarct said:
Farsala said: 
I don't replay games often. In fact I don't rewatch shows often, or rewatch movies. I don't like to redo anything often. Music has a few replays, but even that will get boring. One reason I hate watching regular tv is because the same ads play every freaking time, and they often play reruns. It got so bad that when I was watching the NFL frequently, I would bring a book to read during the ad breaks. 

Only games that I find truly exceptional will get multiple playthroughs. And it doesn't matter if they are short or long. Luckily I know what games I like so I can almost always choose a long and enjoyable game rather than a short and enjoyable game. 

Take for example Bioshock (5 hour campaign?), Halo 2 (10 hour campaign?), and FFX (40-60 hour story?). 
-In my top 50 games of all time Bioshock is #29. Great fun and worth a few replays, ultimately did not have enough depth to be higher in my list and might fade a bit if more games surpass it in the years to come. 
-Halo 2 is #7, I was obsessed with this game's campaign and multiplayer. 100s of hours in the campaign alone even beating it on legendary, and 100s more in multiplayer. 
-FFX is #2. I can replay this game anytime without getting bored. In fact whether I replay it often or take a long hiatus from playing doesn't matter. Because if I take longer breaks the next playthrough is all the sweeter. 

For games outside my top 50 they usually get one playthrough. So compare Ratchet and Clank with FF Type 0 HD Both pretty fun, but I probably won't replay either anytime soon, FF Type 0 HD was more worthwhile due to length.

Where can I see your list? Looks interesting.

Check out this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232859&page=1

My personal list: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8622524

Shadow1980 said:

Farsala said:

Check out this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232859&page=1

My personal list: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8622524

My personal list is dominated by NES and SNES games. The only games in the top 20 that I can't beat in one or two sittings are Halo CE, A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV, Super Mario Galaxy, and BioShock. Incidentally, they're among the few "longer" games that I can replay regularly.

Yeah as you can see, none of my games can be beat in one sitting aside from maybe Halo 2 and Bioshock. Though hilariously, your sitting is a little different from mine since you also listed Bioshock.

Even older games that I enjoyed on SNES and PC like Super Mario World, DK Country and Command and Conquer would take a long time to beat.

Incidentally, I feel that my favorite franchises lately have been shortened in length compared to the old days. FFXV or FF Type 0 HD is much shorter than old FFs, newer Dynastys Warriors are much shorter and easier than older entries. Star Ocean V is quite barebones compared to Star Ocean 3 etc. etc.