By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game length vs. replay value

Do longer games typically have less replay value for you?

Yes 38 74.51%

No 13 25.49%

Total:51

Replay value is a factor for example action titles like Bayonetta, DMC, W101 etc... thrive on replay value as they have huge mechanical depth allowing multiple ways to approach the game. It comes down to the type of player the individual is at the end of the day me personally replay value is just as good as a decent sized playthrough.

Around the Network

Thinking back, almost all of my favorite games are games that I can replay over and over and beat in a couple of days. Certain longer games, I often think "That's enough. You made your point. Please let me get to the credits!"

d21lewis said:
Thinking back, almost all of my favorite games are games that I can replay over and over and beat in a couple of days. Certain longer games, I often think "That's enough. You made your point. Please let me get to the credits!"

Link to the Past to me is the quintessential adventure game and completely beatable in a matter of days. All these 100+ hour games are sometimes overwhelming, sometimes having to dedicate months of time in order to complete. But it's par the course I guess

I'm personally not one to replay games, long or short, I like to beat a game and then move onto the next title. However, I do believe that having a mix of short and long titles helps manage the pace of all of the titles, and that it keeps me from getting fatigued.

I'm a busy man. Can't afford a bunch of timesinks. Lots of content is great if there's actual substance to it, but 'hrs/$' isn't a metric I normally mind.

Around the Network

I like them both. Depends on my mood.

I tend to gravitate toward longer adventures though.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Remember when everyone bashed Star Fox Zero for being beatable in 2-3 hours? Well, I've beaten it over and over again for fun and now I'm clocking at more than 70 hours.

I agree with everything what OP says. I never feel ripped off if a game is short, but I get mad when the gameplay sucks.

If you like short games, have at it but don't try to convince me that it makes the game better or of a higher value. Replay value adds to game length/overall playtime. In general, short games have less content and total hours of entertainment than long games.

I don't replay games often. In fact I don't rewatch shows often, or rewatch movies. I don't like to redo anything often. Music has a few replays, but even that will get boring. One reason I hate watching regular tv is because the same ads play every freaking time, and they often play reruns. It got so bad that when I was watching the NFL frequently, I would bring a book to read during the ad breaks.

Only games that I find truly exceptional will get multiple playthroughs. And it doesn't matter if they are short or long. Luckily I know what games I like so I can almost always choose a long and enjoyable game rather than a short and enjoyable game.

Take for example Bioshock (5 hour campaign?), Halo 2 (10 hour campaign?), and FFX (40-60 hour story?).
-In my top 50 games of all time Bioshock is #29. Great fun and worth a few replays, ultimately did not have enough depth to be higher in my list and might fade a bit if more games surpass it in the years to come.
-Halo 2 is #7, I was obsessed with this game's campaign and multiplayer. 100s of hours in the campaign alone even beating it on legendary, and 100s more in multiplayer.
-FFX is #2. I can replay this game anytime without getting bored. In fact whether I replay it often or take a long hiatus from playing doesn't matter. Because if I take longer breaks the next playthrough is all the sweeter.

For games outside my top 50 they usually get one playthrough. So compare Ratchet and Clank with FF Type 0 HD Both pretty fun, but I probably won't replay either anytime soon, FF Type 0 HD was more worthwhile due to length.

No game has replay value for me, so the longer a good game the better.

Modern time sinks aren't really meant to be replayed. That's why there are regular iterations. No game publisher wants you to replay any game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.