By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game length vs. replay value

Do longer games typically have less replay value for you?

Yes 38 74.51%

No 13 25.49%

Total:51

I play a lot of rogue-likes / rogue-lites, and the very foundation of those games are replay value. It takes roughly 30 minutes to beat Binding of Isaac, but many people sink hundreds of hours into it. Same goes for my favorite of the genre, Enter the Gungeon.

Reading through this thread it seems like many of you have never played a game in this genre, as when discussing something like replay value, this is the first type of game that comes to mind.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
A lot of long games have less replay value because of excessive padding that you won't want to go through again. The idea of the developers with such games is to cater to players who generally don't replay games, and the same group of players is the most likely to sell their games after they've been played through. Essentially, the games are either deliberately designed to drag on in parts to stretch the game's length or there was no incentive to cut parts that turned out to be no fun. Length in and of itself isn't bad, rather it's the development process that leads to results that hurt replayability.

An analogy that works here are drugs. If you look at games like drugs, there are pure drugs and padded drugs that contain other substances to produce higher volume. The pure drugs triggers a bigger rush than the other kind, so they are much more desirable to be experienced again as even small doses can net significant results. To use Mega Man 2 as an example, it's only one hour long on replays, but it's a really great hour. As such, one may find themself replaying multiple short games rather than one long game, because the shorter games have a higher level of purity.

Examples of longer games that are fun to replay are various Fire Emblem titles, because there's no grinding and instead you have constant progress, plus multiple viable strategies and different party compositions. In general though, the longer a game is, the higher is the probability of boring portions, hence why it's much easier for shorter games to achieve good replayability.

Are you talking from experience, because that's the weirdest analogy I've ever heard. A dose of any drug with a higher purity is going to have a longer duration of action than one that is cut (padded).

Gonna have to go with replayability: RE4 is immensely replayable and my all-time favorite game so gonna go with that.

I work at a Game Store, and it is painful as a long time gamer to see that so many people are Speed Runners.

They no longer are trying to enjoy a game for everything it is worth, they are in a hurry for the adrenaline rush of saying they finished it. I hate it when people are like they "Beat" Pokemon.....like how? Sure, the game's story quest has a sort of definitive end but what is "beating" it? People who say this often have only scratched the surface of the title.

Someone told me that Skyrim was short, and I almost raged. How? Well turns out the guy doesn't do SideQuests, only main. That is like you don't eat the fries with a meal, only the burger but then going to complain that you didn't have enough food.

I suppose it is just hard for me to get used to that easter eggs and nuanced discovery isn't as desired today . I replay the hell out of my singleplayer games because in the good ones you can always discover something new. RPGs are the SP genre that can usually bet on having some decent longevity. Yet there is often just as much content in SP action games and platformers. The Last of US took me about 12hrs to beat the first time. Yet I missed a ton of collectibles. These aren't just useless trinkets, I got very involved in knowing about "Ish" and his escapades through that world. They really further enriched the game for me. Same for Dead Space and Horizon's side collectible content, they were world builders. So by this point I must have 60+ hours clocked into TLOU, grabbing collectibles, enjoying the side conversations, and increasing the difficulty which really turns it into a gripping survival game. So I feel like an SP game that has that kind of replay value is more than worth it.

Games that I thought was not worth a full price Tag but loved? Heavenly Sword. Took me about 6hrs to complete, no real collectibles or side content. It was obviously meant to be a launch title, launch titles are forgiven partially for this because they are getting used to the hardware. Yet the game came out almost 2 years in.....it should of had more to do.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I suppose its personal preference but if I've invested a huge amount of time in the story it will either a) put me off starting over or b) with RPGs I will be hesitant to ditch all the upgrades I've got on my characters.

There are exceptions, notably Mass Effect and I am in half a mind to replay God of War on a higher difficulty. But then Pokemon, I never restart. Also games like Skyrim I never bought as those seemed just too long.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Aeolus451 said:
If you like short games, have at it but don't try to convince me that it makes the game better or of a higher value. Replay value adds to game length/overall playtime. In general, short games have less content and total hours of entertainment than long games.

I wasn't trying to imply that short games were better. I was simply stating that I feel that shorter games are more replayable due to the lesser time investment.

Spindel said:
A factor that seems to be missed here is that older games are more difficult and had no, or very limited save options. This means that even if you can beat them in an hour or two you probably spent a lot more time the first time you play them.

Someone said earlier in this thread that they can beat punch out in 25 min. I’ll bet that was not the case the first time he beat the game.

Even then, older games, despite their difficulty, were still shorter. When I was a kid, I don't think there was a single NES or SNES game (RPGs aside) that I rented that I wasn't able to beat multiple times just in that one weekend. It probably only took me 2 or 3 hours to beat Mega Man 9 the first time, as opposed to at most an hour now.

Also, it's not like newer games aren't harder the first time. Halo campaigns are highly replayble to be, not being overly long and consistently enjoyable throughout, with little filler or busy work. While I never tracked my playthroughs for the first two games, and my first Halo 3 run was on co-op and thus doesn't count, I played Reach the first time on Legendary. It was a brutally difficult slog that first time, taking me nearly 14 hours to complete, and I died 342 times. But subsequent playthroughs were easier. One playthrough I logged in for purposes of collecting data for a discussion on Halo difficulty levels took me only 7 hours, 40 minutes to clear, and I died only 68 times.

Even when taking difficulty into account, an experienced gamer should be able to beat an older 8-bit or 16-bit game much quicker than they could beat most modern games.

Farsala said:

Check out this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232859&page=1

My personal list: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8622524

My personal list is dominated by NES and SNES games. The only games in the top 20 that I can't beat in one or two sittings are Halo CE, A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV, Super Mario Galaxy, and BioShock. Incidentally, they're among the few "longer" games that I can replay regularly.

RolStoppable said:
A lot of long games have less replay value because of excessive padding that you won't want to go through again. The idea of the developers with such games is to cater to players who generally don't replay games, and the same group of players is the most likely to sell their games after they've been played through. Essentially, the games are either deliberately designed to drag on in parts to stretch the game's length or there was no incentive to cut parts that turned out to be no fun. Length in and of itself isn't bad, rather it's the development process that leads to results that hurt replayability.

An analogy that works here are drugs. If you look at games like drugs, there are pure drugs and padded drugs that contain other substances to produce higher volume. The pure drugs triggers a bigger rush than the other kind, so they are much more desirable to be experienced again as even small doses can net significant results. To use Mega Man 2 as an example, it's only one hour long on replays, but it's a really great hour. As such, one may find themself replaying multiple short games rather than one long game, because the shorter games have a higher level of purity.

Examples of longer games that are fun to replay are various Fire Emblem titles, because there's no grinding and instead you have constant progress, plus multiple viable strategies and different party compositions. In general though, the longer a game is, the higher is the probability of boring portions, hence why it's much easier for shorter games to achieve good replayability.

I think that contributes a lot to it as well. Each of the Halo campaigns are, as I mentioned earlier, consistently enjoyable from start to finish, with no filler or padding. It's 8-10 hours well spent. Doom 2016 likewise takes a few sittings to beat, but it's consistently action-packed. Meanwhile, Far Cry 4 I haven't touched since beating it the first time. The core mechanics were enjoyable as hell, and I liked the setting, but the copy-and-paste objectives made the game repetitive as hell. It started to feel like I was just going through the motions. After 40 hours, I just wanted to be done with it. Alien Isolation was a solid survival horror title, maybe one of the best in the genre, but the backtracking and padding made the game feel longer than it needed to be. If it took me only 10-12 hours to beat instead of 20, I might be more inclined to replay it.

Even Breath of the Wild, despite its gorgeous setting and solid mechanics, was filled with too much busywork. I think a good chunk of that stems from the use of "Ubisoft towers" for unlocking portions of the map (which were done far better than Ubisoft ever did for any of their games, but still...) and the fact that, instead of 10 to 12 proper dungeons, it had 120 shrines, with only five proper dungeons (and four of those were very similar to each other thematically). There was so much to do in that game, much of it repetitive, that it took me over 170 hours to beat. That kind of time investment (six weeks assuming 3 hours of play per day) means I might replay it one or two more times ever. Had it instead populated its vast world with, say 15-20 proper dungeons, each with its own theme, I might be more inclined to replay it more often. LttP, meanwhile, gets a lot replay value with its 10-15 hour duration and its array of distinct and consistently interesting dungeons.

Do we have the same definition of replayable?

I stopped replaying single-player games probably 20 years ago. I prefer a longer game for one play through.

I dont value replay one bit. I have only replayed about 10 games in my lifetime. and I played I'd say in total about 250 games

forevercloud3000 said:
I work at a Game Store, and it is painful as a long time gamer to see that so many people are Speed Runners.

They no longer are trying to enjoy a game for everything it is worth, they are in a hurry for the adrenaline rush of saying they finished it. I hate it when people are like they "Beat" Pokemon.....like how? Sure, the game's story quest has a sort of definitive end but what is "beating" it? People who say this often have only scratched the surface of the title.

Someone told me that Skyrim was short, and I almost raged. How? Well turns out the guy doesn't do SideQuests, only main. That is like you don't eat the fries with a meal, only the burger but then going to complain that you didn't have enough food

Well said.

Shadow1980 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Do we have the same definition of replayable?

I define "replay value" primarily in terms of how often I want to play through the entire game. Games like Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, A Link to the Past, and Halo CE I've played through more times than I can possibly count. Meanwhile, I have several games in my collection I've played through maybe once and have felt little incentive to play again.

I define replayability as replaying the game after you beat it like new game plus or choosing different story arcs or even playing it like it has no ending like cod.