By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Solo Headed To Become A Flop? Yep, It Flopped.

How Much Will Solo Make WW?

Under $700M 56 60.87%

$700M-$800M 18 19.57%

$801M-$900M 12 13.04%

$901M-$1B 3 3.26%

Over $1B 3 3.26%

Total:92
VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

I want to progress to a time when companies stop with the diversity quotas and just worry about what makes sense.

Yeah, and diversity makes sense as the US is becoming more diverse and thus it appeals to a larger audience.

And that's fine until you're told every damn group needs representation in a four person cast so you end up with a bunch of derpy snowflake abominations.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
thismeintiel said:

$500M is just for the cost of production.  That doesn't include the price to market the film.  To break even they are probably going to need $700M-$750M.  If this weekend really ends up going the way they expect it, now, there's a shot it doesn't even hit $700M.

And the competition is a poor excuse.  Deadpool 2 is looking to drop ~65% this weekend, so making ~$55M for the 4-day weekend.  And Avengers is projected to make just $21M.  The question pops into mind, "What competition?"  When POTC:AWE made ~$139.8M, it was going against the 2nd week of Shrek 3, where it did $67M, and the 4th week of Spider-Man 3, where it did $18.1M.  And while POTC is a large franchise, it ain't SW.

$250m was the production budget according to the article I read, the highest of any Disney Star Wars movie so far, because they had to film almost the entire movie twice, Ron Howard reshot almost every scene in the movie after he took over from Lord and Miller. The budget was planned to be only around $125-150m apparently, the lowest of any of the Disney Star Wars movies. So, with a production budget of $250m, the break even point after marketing and the cut that theaters take is $500m.

As I said though, even if Solo does flop, I doubt it will affect Disney's plans for future character based anthology movies, they'll just shoot them with a lower budget and pick better release windows for them. If future character based anthology movies have the $125-150m production budget that Solo was originally supposed to have, they will easily be profitable. 

Disney doesn't care about breaking even.They care about having a substantialROI. They also don't care about long game. They want as much money as fast as possible. If Disney wanted to slightly profit slowly they would invest the money in stocks and bondsI

Maxosaurus-rex said:
shikamaru317 said:

$250m was the production budget according to the article I read, the highest of any Disney Star Wars movie so far, because they had to film almost the entire movie twice, Ron Howard reshot almost every scene in the movie after he took over from Lord and Miller. The budget was planned to be only around $125-150m apparently, the lowest of any of the Disney Star Wars movies. So, with a production budget of $250m, the break even point after marketing and the cut that theaters take is $500m.

As I said though, even if Solo does flop, I doubt it will affect Disney's plans for future character based anthology movies, they'll just shoot them with a lower budget and pick better release windows for them. If future character based anthology movies have the $125-150m production budget that Solo was originally supposed to have, they will easily be profitable. 

Disney doesn't care about breaking even.They care about having a substantialROI. They also don't care about long game. They want as much money as fast as possible. If Disney wanted to slightly profit slowly they would invest the money in stocks and bondsI

I do think they care about the long game but try to pander to consumers/popular opinions from media and are kinda lost in that aspect.

shikamaru317 said:
thismeintiel said:

$500M is just for the cost of production.  That doesn't include the price to market the film.  To break even they are probably going to need $700M-$750M.  If this weekend really ends up going the way they expect it, now, there's a shot it doesn't even hit $700M.

And the competition is a poor excuse.  Deadpool 2 is looking to drop ~65% this weekend, so making ~$55M for the 4-day weekend.  And Avengers is projected to make just $21M.  The question pops into mind, "What competition?"  When POTC:AWE made ~$139.8M, it was going against the 2nd week of Shrek 3, where it did $67M, and the 4th week of Spider-Man 3, where it did $18.1M.  And while POTC is a large franchise, it ain't SW.

It's probably much higher to break even, given Disney take a cut about 50% of the ticket price domestically and in some countries, such as China, is way less than that (for foreign movies, closer to a quarter of ticket prices indeed).

Immersiveunreality said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

I do think they care about the long game but try to pander to consumers/popular opinions from media and are kinda lost in that aspect.

Care in it as supplemental return, sure. Care as in its their strategy in making money and they'll be pleased as long as their investment will eventually make decent money? No. 

Around the Network

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/27/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-bombs-with-148m-global-weekend/

shikamaru317 said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

If the break even point is $500m like the article suggests, then they stand to make at least $200m profit on Solo from it's theatrical release alone, even more once you take into account the DVD/Blu-ray/Digital release, streaming/tv rights deals, and merchandise (Solo movie themed toys). I'm sure they would have been happier if the movie made a bigger profit like the other 3 Disney Star wars movies made, but that was never going to happen after the budget was nearly doubled by the reshoots and after they chose to release in May, shortly after Avengers and Deadpool. 

If every character based anthology movie can make the $700m+ at the box office that Solo will likely make, but with the smaller $125-150m budget that Solo was originally supposed to have before the reshoots, Disney stands to make a nice profit from the character focused anthology movies, especially if they start releasing more than 1 Star Wars movie a year, which they very likely will since they already have 5 Star Wars movies in development, with many more being planned and considered. Alot of the single character focused Marvel movies only gross in the $500m-900m range and Disney is happy with them.

You think this movie is going to hit 900m? It won't. It came lower to the worst projections 

BoxOfficeMojo has the 3-day weekend estimate at $83325000, i doubt the domestic total will even get to $300 million at this point since there just isn't any hype for this movie. Going to be interesting to see what happens internationally, but apparently thing aren't looking good there either. Already failed in China

That's a trash opening for a Star Wars film.

Alarm bells will be ringing if this doesn't have legs.

Good job Kathleen... Doing an excellent job sinking the Star Wars IP.