By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VI Vs Chrono Trigger:- Whos the king of SNES RPGs?

Double post. Remove this one, please.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network

^ I don't think they can remove posts. Can they??

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Mise said:

I should've been more specific - I meant grinding for AP's and job levels. FF5's job system is great for customizing your characters and their abilities, but the AP grinding takes forever, especially if you want some of the more useful abilities in the early parts of the game. EXP grinding is pretty much unnecessary, I'll give you that, since the game isn't that hard or off-the-wall random (FF3, I'm looking at you).

My main problem with the storyline is that it's the same "n+/-1 warriors of light defeat generic evil villain #578.2 with the power of crystals x, y and z" that has been redone since FF1. I've just finished playing FF3:s DS makeover, and while at least the inter-PC relations have been improved (meaning that they actually exist), the gist of the storyline is pretty much the same thing, and it shows.

Off Topic - I should probably play the FF4 DS conversion when it comes out - I beat FF4 once years ago and can't really remember too much about it.

You don't need all the abilities that early, though.  I find that I'm doing fine on ABP without stopping to grind, especially if you run around and get all the Karnak treasure before it explodes.  ABP becomes more plentiful again in the dark world.

Final Fantasy VI did feel like a grindfest. Whether or not you actually "need" to grind is irrelevant if the system makes you feel like you do.

It's like saying you don't "need" to keep everyone alive in Fire Emblem.  Well of course you can finish the game without everyone still being alive, but the natural tendency is to reset if someone dies. 

Words Of Wisdom said:

Final Fantasy VI did feel like a grindfest. Whether or not you actually "need" to grind is irrelevant if the system makes you feel like you do.

It's like saying you don't "need" to keep everyone alive in Fire Emblem. Well of course you can finish the game without everyone still being alive, but the natural tendency is to reset if someone dies.

See I'm bad at this because my instinct in EVERY RPG is to grind because my first RPGS were Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior and the stuff you can find on the computer.

I do remember a lot of even more excessive camping in that game though do to all the cool classes... and the story being a huge step back from 4....

SPOILERS for really old games... so why i'm using a spoilers tag i don't know.

Really come to think of it... it shows how much people weren't paying attention in Final Fantasy games when people were shocked Aeris died. I mean, a main playable character died in 4, a main playcable character died in 5, and a main playble character dies in 6 if you aren't careful, which you most likely weren't unless you were like me and decided to wait just to see what would happen.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

It's like saying you don't "need" to keep everyone alive in Fire Emblem. Well of course you can finish the game without everyone still being alive, but the natural tendency is to reset if someone dies.

See I'm bad at this because my instinct in EVERY RPG is to grind because my first RPGS were Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior and the stuff you can find on the computer.

I do remember a lot of even more excessive camping in that game though do to all the cool classes... and the story being a huge step back from 4....

Really come to think of it... it shows how much people weren't paying attention in Final Fantasy games when people were shocked Aeris died. I mean, a main playable character died in 4, a main playcable character died in 5, and a main playble character dies in 6 if you aren't careful, which you most likely weren't unless you were like me and decided to wait just to see what would happen.

Dragon Warrior III was my first "classic" RPG followed by Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy 1.  Dragon Warrior didn't require too much grinding but a bit.  Final Fantasy 1 required tons of grinding, but nothing compared to Dragon Warrior III. 

You could spend years grinding away at that game if you didn't figure out where to go.  It actually took me a while to finish it.   I got a used copy without a manual so I had no idea what anything did or was... and this was before the internet so I had no idea where to go.  

I loved that game... 

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Dragon Warrior III was my first "classic" RPG followed by Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy 1. Dragon Warrior didn't require too much grinding but a bit. Final Fantasy 1 required tons of grinding, but nothing compared to Dragon Warrior III.

You could spend years grinding away at that game if you didn't figure out where to go. It actually took me a while to finish it. I got a used copy without a manual so I had no idea what anything did or was... and this was before the internet so I had no idea where to go.

I loved that game...

I still don't use the internet.  Oddly i'm not sure i've played DW3 despite loving 1.  

Well it took me a while to get a copy of DW anyway.  I was the Final Fantasy guy and my friend who i hung out with all the time had DW, and it often seemed wastefull to get the same games back then considering the limiting game budget. 

Kasz216 said:

I still don't use the internet. Oddly i'm not sure i've played DW3 despite loving 1.

Well it took me a while to get a copy of DW anyway. I was the Final Fantasy guy and my friend who i hung out with all the time had DW, and it often seemed wastefull to get the same games back then considering the limiting game budget.

I wound up getting a lot of my NES games second hand (even my NES is second hand!) so as a result I have a monsterous NES game collection. You should give DW3 a try. It's dated but as long as you expect a NES game, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I plan on writing up an article about this topic very soon. At first I said Chrono Trigger, but I've changed my mind. FFVI is my pic for top SNES game, and I'll go into detail on how I compared the two with comparitive playthroughs which I am completing right now.

Just FYI, the GBA version 'balances" the difficulty of FFVI, in that it makes it easier and more fair, therefore less grinding, and a more cohesive and fluid playthrough, plus a new translation, an actual endgame, and a lot of new content make an already amazing game the "best game" that could be played for the most part on the SNES.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Words Of Wisdom said:

I agree with this.  I actually did a hell of a lot more grinding at the end of FF6 than I did for either FF4 or FF5.  You need to level up and learn spells for 3 parties before going into Kefka's Tower.  Argh.

And as others have said, I grew up with FF1 and Dragon Warrior, so I know all about endless grinding for silver swords and L4 magic in Elfland.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.  :)