By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VI Vs Chrono Trigger:- Whos the king of SNES RPGs?

When it comes to RPGs,no other platform had it as good as SNES(PS one is the closest,i guess)

And any list of SNES ,or all time great game lists isnt complete without these two squaresoft masterpieces

Its not the first time this comparison is made, neither the last, and i know its difficult to choose which but choose we'll have to, for this thread's sake

and my vote goes to chrono trigger. great story line, innovative combo system in combat, character development which hasnt been bettered yet, and amazing graphics for its time

Oh and also multiple endings which makes a replay necessary.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger

I was also always fond of Secret of Mana.

Let me expand. FFVI was magnificant, but I feel the storyline doesn't stand up quite as fufilling today as Chrono Trigger, plus I feel Chrono Trigger was ahead of its time on the combat and battle initiation arenas.

Still, for my tastes, the best game is still Secret of Mana. Great story, Flammie, and an almost Zelda like RPG battle system.

All three games are glorious. I do feel there's only one that hasn't been bested by other games in its genre and that's Secret of Mana. Action RPG with on screen combat, no loading, no screen switches. Unless you count Zelda, it's still top of it's class, imo. Odin Sphere comes to mind, but no, Secret of Mana is still better than the magnificant Odin Sphere.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Chrono Trigger.

Secret of Mana

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Both are spectacular games and it really isn't fair to say one is better than the other. That's like trying to compare two sunsets or something cheesy like that; they're both wonderful.

-edit-

And just to play the game, I think FFVI is the better game of the two.  While Chrono Trigger did have good character development, an crapload of options for the player to go down, great music, great story, and great gameplay, FFVI beats it on all of those except gameplay (actually, FFVI has terrible gameplay).

The character development in FFVI is just unmatched and that's the thing that matters to me here.  All the characters just change fantastically and even the villains change.  In the time before the internet the twist on the floating island was unheard of.  The game was one of the very early console games to deal with suicide and death.  The music was topnotch and still has some of the most recognizable themes today.  The story is classic.  The game has quite possible the best villain ever.

The list just goes on.  Both are great games and it's unfair to call one better than the other (that's like saying the loser of the Superbowl sucks) but I would have to say FFVI is better. 

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Both are spectacular games and it really isn't fair to say one is better than the other. That's like trying to compare two sunsets or something cheesy like that; they're both wonderful.

-edit-

And just to play the game, I think FFVI is the better game of the two. While Chrono Trigger did have good character development, an crapload of options for the player to go down, great music, great story, and great gameplay, FFVI beats it on all of those except gameplay (actually, FFVI has terrible gameplay).

The character development in FFVI is just unmatched and that's the thing that matters to me here. All the characters just change fantastically and even the villains change. In the time before the internet the twist on the floating island was unheard of. The game was one of the very early console games to deal with suicide and death. The music was topnotch and still has some of the most recognizable themes today. The story is classic. The game has quite possible the best villain ever.

The list just goes on. Both are great games and it's unfair to call one better than the other (that's like saying the loser of the Superbowl sucks) but I would have to say FFVI is better.

Ah, but the loser of this superbowl did suck.

The New England Patriots, cheaters, cheaters, cheaters!

Sorry for the tangent. Colts fan here.

FFVI does indeed have some of the best game music I've ever heard to this day. Oh the opera scene.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Chrono Trigger, but I guess personal opinion. I lost interest in FFVI when everything blew up and I had to collect the gang again...somehow never made it.

Maybe its time for a revisit - story picking up again after the: collect all 20 characters, then proceed point?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Final Fantasy 6. This one was truly the first epic storyline of all RPGs unlike FF7 which is assumed by most teenagers of the era. Chrono Trigger however is a dang good close second cuz like some people said it was truly innovative and far ahead for its time. However I don't think the storyline was up there with Final Fantasy 6

What are you looking at, nerd?

FF6 was one of the best FF games of all time, I feel the newer ones are bogged down with just too much to do, too many materia variants, mini quests and so on, for me, 6 was perfect.

out of the 3 games mentioned here, im not sure which i prefer, FF6 is a 'real' RPG and probably one of my favourites in the genre of all time, SoM was one of the few games that got the action RPG thing almost flawlessly right (next to zelda) and CT was just groundbreaking in its concept, going back and forth in time was fantastic and the way the story worked with that was brilliant.

I wish I could remember all the intricacies (sp) of the 3 games, its been that long ago since ive played them ive probably forgotten most of it. Amazing how the music is still fresh in my mind though. DS versions please Square.

Chrono trigger

Secret of Mana

FF6

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints