By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VI Vs Chrono Trigger:- Whos the king of SNES RPGs?

FFVI. It is the only console game that has come close to what I imagine to be the experience of a character in a novel. You have the inter-relation between the characters Lock&Celes, Shadow being related to Relm, funny characters like Ultros and Sigfried, all the while incorporating the good music inherent in the FF series.

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:

The reason I put "backstory" into quotes is that it's not actually backstory, but by the time we see him as the game's primary baddie we have already seen a lot of him; we have that history of him, even if we don't know much from the time before the opening credits.  He isn't as developed as Terra or Cyan or Relm or a lot of the other characters but there is development, or at least advancement.

I get the feeling you won't be happy until you see an outline of how he got from (presumably) normal baby to fucking psycho. I actually misspoke earlier; when I played through the game it didn't seem to me that he started out as "completely loony tunes".  It seemed to me that he started out as a power-hungry sadist, somewhat insane but not unable to function in society (given that the society gave him an outlet for his homicidal tendencies), progressing to more like the Joker, unable to contain his lust for carnage, and finally getting to live out his awful dreams with the powers of a god.  Unless I'm misremembering (and you've replayed the game a lot more recently than I have) there's not ZERO character development.

By the way, what does BBEG mean?  Sorry if you mentioned it earlier but I just skimmed all your posts in this thread and didn't spot it offhand.

One-liners?  Are you sure you're not exaggerating?  I remember extensive dialogue.  He talks a lot about himself and his plans, even if it's pretty much monomaniacal rants about destroying people or things (and, eventually, about destroying everyone and everything).

I'm sorry, please make up your mind on whether optional quests are valid story elements.  And didn't you say he is the one who is responsible for the World of Ruin?  Every instance you see of suffering and hardship as a result of that planetary disaster (and almost all the places you run into are to some degree devastated) is a result of his actions.

Kefka has more character development in the course of the game IMO than the Joker gets, although it's been a decade since I watched BTAS extensively and I never read the comics.  Sure, we get more true backstory on the Joker, detailing his past and "origin", but after he shows up as the Joker how much does he really change?  At all?

Do you like Kefka more now that you know all about his past?

BBEG means "Big Bad Evil Girl/Guy."  Final bosses or highly significant arch-enemies qualify for the title.  ^_^

About the one-liners, I'm definitely exaggerating... to a point.  In the end it comes down to those were the only things memorable about him which isnt' a good thing.

Again, whatever his actions were, they never did anything for me.  I was less angry with him for creating WoR than I was annoyed that I couldn't just put a sword in him and move on to a more interesting villain.

As far as character development outside the game, I don't much care.  If it's not in the game, it's not really canon to me and it shouldn't be weighed in the game's value.  ^_^

blaydcor said:

So, for you, Darth Vader was a lame villain until episode 1,2, and 3 came out?  

Dunno.  Still haven't made it farther than 20 minutes into a Star Wars movie.  I love Star Wars games (KotOR was fantastic), but the movies will put me to sleep every time.

I'll take your word for it though.  ^_^

Good thread, tough decision. Both games had a great story, set of well crafted characters and memorable soundtracks. While Chrono Trigger may be better, my heart belongs to Final Fantasy VI, easily my favorite RPG.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.

Yeah, it would be cool to have a FF game centered around kefka, kind of like star wars 1, 2, and 3.

Around the Network

seiken densetsu 3

the mana game that never came to the US.
BEST RPG EV4R.

chrono trigger is second.

Random Person B said:
seiken densetsu 3

the mana game that never came to the US.
BEST RPG EV4R.

chrono trigger is second.

Great game but the story was darn close to non-existant for entire portions of the game.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:

But Archibald Grims and Kefka were like... the same character.

Except Grims didn't have a cool laugh. Grims had even less motivation.

He killed someones family, then showed up acting like a dick by randomly hurting and killing people, backstabbing people left and right and trying to win by unethical means...

the only difference is that Grims wasn't as successful.

All because apparently thousands of years ago his family got it's ass kicked by an ancient robot.

The Castle basically was Doma too... FF6 was just a world of city states... like most Final Fantasy games.

Considering all the people in the game it probably had like... near a tenth of the worlds population.

Grims did have a maniacal laugh though!

He also did far more than just kill Cattleya. If you play through SRW:OG2 and take the Earth Cradle route in the final branch, it explains quite a bit about Grims you don't normally learn about. Even outside of that branch, Grims gets featured a lot throughout the game along with Yuuki and Carla. You actually get to see what kind of person he is in and out of battle as well as what motivates him. You don't get that with Kefka. You just get more one-liners and stupid laughter.

Hm.  I don't remember that...  all i remember is him being a dick, who did a lot of dickish things... (like kefka), who's only real motivation was to cause all the chaos he could and kill people (like kefka).

Though he used the anger at his family losing his lineage as the excuse. 

Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:

He killed someones family, then showed up acting like a dick by randomly hurting and killing people, backstabbing people left and right and trying to win by unethical means...

All because apparently thousands of years ago his family got it's ass kicked by an ancient robot.

The Castle basically was Doma too... FF6 was just a world of city states... like most Final Fantasy games.

Considering all the people in the game it probably had like... near a tenth of the worlds population.

He also did far more than just kill Cattleya. If you play through SRW:OG2 and take the Earth Cradle route in the final branch, it explains quite a bit about Grims you don't normally learn about. Even outside of that branch, Grims gets featured a lot throughout the game along with Yuuki and Carla. You actually get to see what kind of person he is in and out of battle as well as what motivates him. You don't get that with Kefka. You just get more one-liners and stupid laughter.

Hm.  I don't remember that...  all i remember is him being a dick, who did a lot of dickish things... (like kefka), who's only real motivation was to cause all the chaos he could and kill people (like kefka).

Replay OG2 and choose the Earth Cradle at the final branch choice.  The truth about what happened at Elpis was pretty dispicable.  I thought it was a simple case of Grims poisoning everyone but his actions were far far more cruel than that and explain a lot of Rai's hatred for Elzam in OG1.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:

Hm. I don't remember that... all i remember is him being a dick, who did a lot of dickish things... (like kefka), who's only real motivation was to cause all the chaos he could and kill people (like kefka).

Replay OG2 and choose the Earth Cradle at the final branch choice. The truth about what happened at Elpis was pretty dispicable. I thought it was a simple case of Grims poisoning everyone but his actions were far far more cruel than that and explain a lot of Rai's hatred for Elzam in OG1.

Oh, i get what you mean... I don't see how that gives him depth at all. It just makes Archibald a dick.

Also Kefka tried the EXACT same thing. On the floating Island. Well except with a sword instead of poison gas.

Unfortunitly for him however he didn't offer a good enough reason for Celes to pull the trigger.

Him and Kefka would be best buddies.  Well... for about 5 minutes before they tried to backstab each other.