By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: In Theory: Could Sony produce a PS4 Switch-style console hybrid?

sony should go their own way

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I definitely believe it would be possible by late 2019. If I'm not mistaken, AMD is releasing the successor to Raven Ridge in 2019, their mobile APU line. You'd be looking at a low power APU (the current Raven Ridge APU's range between 12 and 25 watts) with Ryzen 2 CPU cores and Navi GPU cores. Then all Sony would have to do is underclock it or disable some cores to reduce power consumption so they could use desktop GDDR5 instead of LPDDR4, and make it larger than Switch so it could have a bigger battery, and they'd have a system comfortably able to play PS4's library (after patching) at reduced resolutions with good battery life.

Like DF stated, PS4 for 720p games could be possible in few years but form factor of such device would be similar to laptop, and than every single game would need a quite of rework to run at 720p and at weaker hardware (definitely some 3rd parties wouldn't want to do that), so all that dont sounds attractive at all so hardly that Sony would try do something like that.

Aeolus451 said:
sc94597 said:

This statement (as it is) is false. 

If you modified your statement with one word, it might be true. 

It is true. Where are the majority of 3rd party games? No Far Cry 5? Where are the games? Down graded ports of a handful of games don't really count for much.

Reread what was said. You made a falsifiable statement " The NS is too weak to play current gen playstation/xbox games "

I provided two examples which falsified your statement. 

If what you said isn't what you meant, then be more precise with what you actually say next time. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 13 May 2018

"sony fans don"'t want that" tell that to the large amount of Vita buyers and Vita supporting devs in Japan.

Azuren said:

Taking a current gen game and dialing it back to last gen doesn't mean it's running current gen.

The definition of a "current gen game" has nothing to do with how visually impressive it is. It has to do with which platforms it was released on. 

Around the Network
nemo37 said:
Hiku said:

I guess that Last of Us bundle is so expensive because it's rare these days, or something. The listings I saw were mainly for used models, and that was the only new unit I found. But upon searching further I found a PS4 with a bundled game for $350, so you're right.

As for Japan, yeah I saw that they have a deal on PS4 that's a bit lower, but the RRP is still there, just strickened through.
Pretty odd that they've only had one price drop in Japan, and two in the US.

The first price cut in both Japan and US coincided with each other, so it is odd nothing happened in Japan with regards to the price in Japan with the launch of the Slim. 

Although the strangest thing by far in Japan is why retailers are selling PS4 below RRP when the system is currently supply constrained. Typically, retailers sell above RRP when demand is higher than supply. My only guess is that the retailers are competing with each other for orders.

Yeah, that would be my guess. From the sound of it they've been selling PS4 around that price for a while. If it's a price point commonly shared among competitors, and Amazon raise the price while Bic Camera keep it as it was, I guess a large amount of people would back order it from Bic Camera. While it is a product that will be sold eventually regardless, while they're picking up a PS4 at the competitor, they may also get a game there at the same time, or a controller, etc. So being perceived as the cheapest has it's advantages.

Last edited by Hiku - on 13 May 2018

numberwang said:
Not now, because X86 was never intended for low-power mobile unlike ARM in the switch. Wait two or so generations for this to become feasible.

x86 isn't the same x86 from 30 years ago. It most certainly can go low-power and compete with ARM.
Intel actually had a ton of success with Medfield to that end... And AMD was getting there with Brazos.

shikamaru317 said:

I definitely believe it would be possible by late 2019. If I'm not mistaken, AMD is releasing the successor to Raven Ridge in 2019, their mobile APU line. You'd be looking at a low power APU (the current Raven Ridge APU's range between 12 and 25 watts) with Ryzen 2 CPU cores and Navi GPU cores. Then all Sony would have to do is underclock it or disable some cores to reduce power consumption so they could use desktop GDDR5 instead of LPDDR4, and make it larger than Switch so it could have a bigger battery, and they'd have a system comfortably able to play PS4's library (after patching) at reduced resolutions with good battery life.

Well. Digital Foundry was technically incorrect when they said AMD doesn't really have the core technology to build a low powered design.
So quick are people to forget that Adreno was born from AMD's efforts and sold to Qualcomm and AMD still holds a ton of patents to that end. (Re-arrange the letters of Adreno and you get Radeon.)

nemo37 said:
With that being said, I don't think the PS4's architecture would really scale down well into something portable, not even in the future as process nodes shrink (look at Switch, it is using a completely different architecture as opposed to taking what was in the Xbox 360 and PS3 and trying to shrink it). However, we could see new SOC architectures in the future that are designed for mobility but are as powerful as a base PS4 (in fact, it is mostly a matter of "when" as opposed to an "if"; the Switch in handheld mode is about as powerful as PS3 and Xbox 360 and its SOC came out about 10 years after those systems were released).

Well. The difference between the Playstation 4 and Playstation 3 is... The Playstation 4 has newer CPU/GPU designs which are lower powered and on the market.
You never had an ultra low powered mobile iteration of Cell.

You do not need to replace the chips with identical versions either, it is perfectly okay to use completely different chips... Just as long as they are backwards compatible from an ISA and performance standpoint.

KBG29 said:

Apparently very few can see Raven Ridge, and even some who do refuse to acknowledge its exsistance. I was very shocked that Mr. Leadbetter did not bring up this possability, and even more so when he claimed AMD lacks the core technology to make it happen.

Indeed. I think that was a pretty ignorant statement on their behalf.
Raven Ridge has show how capable it really is.

"7nm" will be a big improvement to that end as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

sc94597 said:
Aeolus451 said:

It is true. Where are the majority of 3rd party games? No Far Cry 5? Where are the games? Down graded ports of a handful of games don't really count for much.

Reread what was said. You made a falsifiable statement " The NS is too weak to play current gen playstation/xbox games "

I provided two examples which falsified your statement. 

If what you said isn't what you meant, then be more precise with what you actually say next time. 

I was right in what I said regardless of how you try to spin it because you knew what I meant as well as anyone. This is a gaming forum. It's not a courtroom. Why are you bothering me with this? You didn't like what I wrote so you're willing to derail the thread by getting into a silly debate of semantics to say that the statement was false when the meat or spirit of it is right which you knew. The ns can't play the vast majority of the games on the PS4 just like they are. You happy? Are you gonna reeeee! into a pillow and think of some other crap to complain about? 

Aeolus451 said:

I was right in what I said regardless of how you try to spin it because you knew what I meant as well as anyone. This is a gaming forum. It's not a courtroom. Why are you bothering me with this? You didn't like what I wrote so you're willing to derail the thread by getting into a silly debate of semantics to say that the statement was false when the meat or spirit of it is right which you knew. The ns can't play the vast majority of the games on the PS4 just like they are. You happy? Are you gonna reeeee! into a pillow and think of some other crap to complain about? 

You're the one who got all emotional here, so who's the one reeing? I corrected you on a false statement. You got irritated by my correction. 

Honestly I didn't care about your original post either way, it was mostly your opinion. What I did care about was the outright wrong statement, that the Switch is incapable of playing current generation games. 

sc94597 said:
Aeolus451 said:
 The NS is too weak to play current gen playstation/xbox games 

This statement (as it is) is false. 

If you modified your statement with one word, it might be true. 

Did you read the article?

Doom 2016's Switch port - and indeed the upcoming Wolfenstein 2 conversion - have taken a lot of grief from users unhappy with resolution reductions, frame-rate hits and obvious downgrades in the visual feature set.